Juicing, baby.

Options

Replies

• cassy_runs
    Options
    I'm a bit of a nerd, so I do a lot of reading and digging to find out what people say about things like this. I've also heard several people in my life who have tried this share similar results. Among them are clearer skin and nails that aren't as brittle, and what appeals to me most- people have told me their "cognitive fog" had lifted. Large amounts of additives in foods from being processed and flavored and colored can make us feel a bit foggy (I definitely feel it!) and when we allow those to exit the body and replace them with things our body actually runs on, many times folks notice that they think more clearly and are more attentive and focused.

My idea of juicing is not to use it for weight-loss. Weight-loss is a byproduct of spending time juicing, but my primary method of weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit and incorporating cardio and strength training into my life. If I were to detox for a few days and then resume eating mostly plant-based, naturally occurring foods along with my physical activity, I can't imagine that I wouldn't feel better on the whole.

Hi, friend! Welcome to your new lifestyle -- your mind and body are definitely going to thank you for it!

However, the effects you're looking to achieve (better mental health, better focus, clearer skin, stronger nails) are not byproducts of nefarious chemicals in your food. Yes, you will feel better eating "wholesome" foods rather than processed foods. But a juicing detox will not cleanse you any better than a liter or two of water and a bunch of fiber, if you know what I mean. ;P

Another poster said it best: your kidneys and liver are pretty great at filtering junk out of your body and into your *ahem* waste! I can't find any studies supporting the theory of bioaccumulation of sucralose or its metabolites in the body.

Looking at ingredient lists can be really really scary. There's that adage people are living by now that goes something like "I don't eat anything that has an ingredient I can't pronounce." But if you look at the ingredients in whole, natural foods, you might be surprised!

ingredients-of-an-all-natural-egg1.jpg

ingredients-of-all-natural-blueberries.jpg

ingredients-of-a-banana.jpg?w=604&h=853

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's no need to be afraid that you've "built up" a bunch of "chemicals" in your body -- chemicals make up EVERYTHING that we eat, and EVERYTHING that we are. You are the product of billions of years of evolution and life -- your body is much better at flushing out "bad" things than you give it credit for.

It can be scary to think about how you've been abusing your body, fueling it with processed crap. But your body is amazing, you are literally made of stardust! It is so so so great that you are ready to embrace your body and fuel it with the good wholesome things that will make it run at peak performance!

Detoxing through juicing is not one of those things though :p Just eat a bunch of high fiber foods over the next few days and down a bunch of water and boy oh boy you will feel "cleansed" after that!

WOOOHOO! This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks for the information and the feedback! It's ALL being taken into consideration and planning. :D
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    So I've gathered (based on information posted here and links you guys have provided me with) that detoxing is a silly idea. Hey, that's cool, man. I'm just trying to be the best version of myself I can be and sometimes I'm wrong... possibly more than sometimes. Is the idea of juicing for the pure fact of getting such a large amount of veg in my day still such an abhorrent idea? Genuine question.

Nothing wrong with that at all, But I'd consider blending rather than juicing, that way you don't lose the fiber.

Rigger
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You need to find a group to post this in or it is not going to go well for you at all.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Lol. I have been guided to one, thankfully, and have been reading the threads there. However, I do appreciate the opposing viewpoint- it presents me with a lot of information (when people actually provide information rather than just getting pissed and telling me it's dumb or pointless) that I actually do read and take into consideration going forward. ;)

I think you'll find that detoxing is sortofa hotbutton topic on MFP. A lot of folks consider anything that comes from Dr Oz to be pseudo-science. Personally, I'm going to give it a try at some point down the road just to see if it can do anything for me and my blood pressure.

As for juicing, I prefer to have my veggies to be blended and not juiced. The body needs fiber to keep the digestive track moving. If you're going to follow the detox logic (of purging your innards of all the bad stuff you've accumulated), then I imagine fiber would actually help that along, right?

So I'm not the biggest fan of juicing, but I know who is:

41oW-mlL8AL.jpg
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    So I've gathered (based on information posted here and links you guys have provided me with) that detoxing is a silly idea. Hey, that's cool, man. I'm just trying to be the best version of myself I can be and sometimes I'm wrong... possibly more than sometimes. Is the idea of juicing for the pure fact of getting such a large amount of veg in my day still such an abhorrent idea? Genuine question.

abhorrent - ok that word is way to big for me.. :-)

LOL. Abhorrent- disgusting or hated, other things to that effect. :P
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is the idea of juicing for the pure fact of getting such a large amount of veg in my day still such an abhorrent idea? Genuine question.

Juicing is great in terms of micronutrients, but you're removing a lot of super good fiber from your diet, which is sad. All that good fiber in fruits and vege makes you feel like a well-oiled machine!
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

It's ok thanks... I Googled it.. now I have to incorporate that in a conversation!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    You need to find a group to post this in or it is not going to go well for you at all.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Lol. I have been guided to one, thankfully, and have been reading the threads there. However, I do appreciate the opposing viewpoint- it presents me with a lot of information (when people actually provide information rather than just getting pissed and telling me it's dumb or pointless) that I actually do read and take into consideration going forward. ;)

I think you'll find that detoxing is sortofa hotbutton topic on MFP. A lot of folks consider anything that comes from Dr Oz to be pseudo-science. Personally, I'm going to give it a try at some point down the road just to see if it can do anything for me and my blood pressure.

As for juicing, I prefer to have my veggies to be blended and not juiced. The body needs fiber to keep the digestive track moving. If you're going to follow the detox logic (of purging your innards of all the bad stuff you've accumulated), then I imagine fiber would actually help that along, right?

So I'm not the biggest fan of juicing, but I know who is:

41oW-mlL8AL.jpg

Honestly, I had no idea this was such a hot-button issue. And I don't even watch Dr. Oz, so I didn't know it was something he discussed or recommended, haha. You're right about the fiber, it's definitely essential when it comes to clearing out the bad!
  • cassy_runs
    Options

Nothing wrong with that at all, But I'd consider blending rather than juicing, that way you don't lose the fiber.

Rigger

This is a particularly attractive as I already have a blender and would save a bit of dough on the juicer, haha.
  • cassy_runs
    Options

It's ok thanks... I Googled it.. now I have to incorporate that in a conversation!

Ha yes! Homework assignment for you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

If it is SUSTAINABLE and you have reasonable expectations, then it's fine.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

Man I find homework abhorrent. :-)
  • melybelyc
    Options
    My research was incomplete when I bought the juicer. Had I known how much nutrients there was in the pulp, I would have bought a Ninja Ultima so that it was powerful enough to do both. It was a rookie mistake. I am only 6 days in and still have a lot to learn, but I like the way it makes me feel. Call me lazy, but its easier for me to drink it than chew it. There is no way I could sit down and eat ALL of the vegetables in that one shake - the thought makes me cringe. They taste better, imo, blended together. The only thing I may be lacking is healthy fat, but I can always throw an avocado in there too.
  • cassy_runs
    Options

Man I find homework abhorrent. :-)

And just like that, you get an A! :P
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    In...

...to find out which toxins are being eliminated in this detox that wouldn't otherwise be eliminated by the body while still eating food.

You don't have to name all of them...just one. Please, OP, just give the name of *ONE* toxin. Thanks in advance. :flowerforyou:

Hey, so if you read any of the more recent posts I've made, you see that I've been given a lot of really great information about what you're saying there. It's taking me a bit of time to give it all a good read. The most useful post so far I believe was the one which includes the nutrition label photos- included tons of good information and food for thought. In short, I realize that it's easy for me to imagine my body being full of bad "toxins" (because I've grown up eating junk) and not to give my body enough credit for the work it does to process and eliminate what it doesn't need.
  • Tigabird
    Options
    I was juicing regularly, beets, celery, apple and carrots. I drank this juice daily, my blood pressure reduced drastically! No meds!!
    I need to get back on that!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I was juicing regularly, beets, celery, apple and carrots. I drank this juice daily, my blood pressure reduced drastically! No meds!!
    I need to get back on that!

did you also eat food?
  • KNEBerrett
    Options
    Magic detoxes are so much fun, especially juice detoxes that deny your body many essential nutrients like Protein and fat. Congrats on your new "healthy" lifestyle.

Rigger

Did you have anything positive to add, or are you entirely satisfied with being sarcastic and condescending? I see that you've dropped 61 pounds, which is amazing. Wouldn't you rather give me a good idea based on your experience?

I'm satisfied being sarcastic and condescending, however, I don't mind giving advise, so here goes. Forget the cleanses and detoxes, they're just smoke and mirrors. Start eating at a sensible calorie deficit, if you must, avoid so called junk food, I don't because food is food and the body doesn't care if your calories come from veggies or Twinkies. Set your macros and endeavor to hit them, don't deny yourself the foods you like, just learn to control your portions, give it time and you'll see success.

Rigger

What are macros if you don't mind my asking.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty robust diet of whatever. I'm trying to cut fat right now, so I find that if I'm still hungry at the end of the day, I'll put a pound of carrots and a half pound of celery into the blender (a little tabasco a little worchester, maybe a tomato and a clove of garlic, etc), blend it up, and drink it down.

Plenty of fiber, under 200 calories, and it's like two pounds of food.

Definitely wouldn't do that exclusively because of the way my digestive tract is designed, but as a supplement to an otherwise well-rounded diet, it's a good tool.
  • KNEBerrett
    Options
    HELP... What are macros?