Juicing, baby.

Options

Replies

• cassy_runs
    Options
    To clarify my position on this...

Exclusively juicing seems like a bad idea to me with little real benefit. Adding some juice to an otherwise well-balanced calorie controlled diet is okay. Adding a smoothie (where the whole edible fruit or veggies is consumed) seems like an even better idea.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply in my original post (or any of my posts) that I think juicing will having some magical effect on my health that I couldn't get elsewhere. Blending up fruits and veggies is a good and manageable way for me, an extremely busy working woman, to make sure those fruits and veg actually end up IN my body during the day. That's the most important thing. I've already been eating at a deficit and working out, as I have a pretty significant amount of weight to lose, and I'm working on more closely monitoring my macros. I'm a realist, and even though I can be naive about some things, I tend to get brought back down to earth pretty easily given good reason. :laugh:
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    First, I can't say that I think replacing all of your meals with juicing is a good idea. I've seen the documentaries too. It's just not realistic. You need calories, and you will not get enough of them by juicing, and just drinking fruits and veggies. I will say, however, that juicing is a great way to get a lot of extra fruits and veggies into your diet. I've done juicing, and it's great, although it's a bit of a PITA, to be honest. Lots of extra vitamins and nutrients! Also, I've found that adding a slice or two of lemon or lime, and about a half inch slice of ginger, can help the taste of just about anything you want to juice. With some lemon and ginger, I was able to do a juice with kale, cucumber, tomatoes, apples, green peppers, and just about anything else I could think up. When I was juicing, I would replace maybe one meal, or have it as a snack. It's really not many calories at all!!! It is good for you though, but you really should still eat your fruits and veggies whole, for the fiber, also. Good luck OP!!!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners and other processed stuff that the body doesn't need or benefit from.

Not drugs or anything. :P

I'm curious. How will you know that you are detoxed? Can you feel it? Is there a test? I am genuinely interested in how you know it works.

I'm a bit of a nerd, so I do a lot of reading and digging to find out what people say about things like this. I've also heard several people in my life who have tried this share similar results. Among them are clearer skin and nails that aren't as brittle, and what appeals to me most- people have told me their "cognitive fog" had lifted. Large amounts of additives in foods from being processed and flavored and colored can make us feel a bit foggy (I definitely feel it!) and when we allow those to exit the body and replace them with things our body actually runs on, many times folks notice that they think more clearly and are more attentive and focused.

My idea of juicing is not to use it for weight-loss. Weight-loss is a byproduct of spending time juicing, but my primary method of weight loss is eating at a calorie deficit and incorporating cardio and strength training into my life. If I were to detox for a few days and then resume eating mostly plant-based, naturally occurring foods along with my physical activity, I can't imagine that I wouldn't feel better on the whole.

There are lots of "clean eating" books out there. I like food so juicing isn't for me but I make a fresh juice once in a while I find carrot and apple make juices too sweet so i will usually juice in a lemon (peeled) to cut the sweetness.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Btw OP , if you juice there is still pulp...the reason juicing isnt bad is that if you ate ALL that fiber you could have some intestinal irritation. So, you still get fiber, you still get the cals and carbs you get a "balanced" diet if you juice...if you are doing it for seven days, the fat content isnt really a huge deal, but if you are THAT worried about it, you can add a tablespoon of coconut oil or whatever oil youd like. Juicing is a quick way to get nutrient inside you without putting the stress on your intestine.

Juices I did

1-2 tomatoes
    3 cucumbers
    9 apples
    1-2 bundles kale
    1-2 bundles spinach
    2 bags celery
    1 lb bag carrots
    2 beets
    1.5 inch piece ginger
    3 lemons or 2 oranges or 2 grapefruits
    2 heads brocoli
    1-2 ccoves garlic
    This makes about 9 mason jars worth. Be sure to cut your veggies up in inch peices thzt are stringy (celery, leafy greens ) so it wont clog the juicer. You can even juice some pineapple instead of the lemons, and if you want you can put some blueberries or whatever fruits you like in there.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Consuming juices in moderation, as part of a healthy and balanced diet can be beneficial.....personally I would never do it though.

I read an interview recently with Joe Cross and even he said a beginner should only try it for a few days and if you do it longer
    you should do it under a care of a physician and get blood work checked once a week.

Some good reads......

http://www.ballingerathleticperformance.com/juice-fasting-pointless-waste-time-money/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/juicing/expert-answers/FAQ-20058020

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-03-12/Done-properly-juicing-can-play-role-in-healthy-diet/53498466/1
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm nervous about how long I can make it last honestly, haha. I know it needs to be several days. How many would you recommend for a first-time juice faster?

It doesn't need to be any days. Juice if you like, as part of a normal healthy diet. But going without fiber, protein or fats for any length of time is foolish IMO.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Juicing violates my main rule:

Never do anything today that you aren't willing to do every day for the rest of my life.

I could never live on juice, so today (and every day) I eat a wide variety of wholesome foods and enjoy a few treats that fit in my calorie levels. Do this every day for the rest of your life.

Juicing removes essential elements from the whole food, makes a big mess in the kitchen, and is hugely expensive. There are three reasons I don't see any reason to do it.
  • jenievans1
    jenievans1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Juicing is fine! Ignore the naysayers!

Yes, it can be expensive because you're using more food to produce the juice and you should use only organic if you're doing this for a long period (more than a few days) because you will also be getting extra toxins from the non-organic foods along with the extra nutrients. That would be counterproductive.

For inspiration, recipes, and meal plans, check out the website for the guy who produced the documentary, Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. He did a juice only diet and walked across America. His website does not encourage only juice for that long, but it does encourage juice and whole fruits & veggies (raw & cooked) and he has lots of recipes and meal plans.

If you do only juice for a few days, you may (MAY) find yourself feeling weak and tired within the first few days and your bowels will clean out and then you will feel better, more energetic, and ready to continue. Watch his video and learn more if you haven't already.

Good luck with this!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I used to juice (loved it but got lazy with it). Now I have a magic bullet and make green smoothies. Less waste I guess.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    He did a juice only diet and walked across America.

Sorry, but I had to truly LOL at that one.... :laugh: He did have a car. And a film crew. :wink:
  • hrufener06
    Options
    I LOVE 1 CUP OF ALMOND MILK, 4 CUPS OF FRESH SPINACH, 1 CUP FROZEN BLUEBERRIES AND STRAWBERRIES, I DON'T HAVE A JUICER, SO I JUST BLEND IT IN MORE OF A SMOOTHIE. I HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING 4 CUPS OF GREENS DOWN IN A SALAD FORM TWICE A DAY SO THIS IS ONE WAY I GET MY VEGGIES/FRUITS IN.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I love juice detoxes and they do make you feel awesome after the first few days (which are hell on earth). I wonder how many people who have replied in the negative have actually tried a juice detox.... The main benefits of juicing are that these days it is impossible to eat enough fresh fruit and vegetables to get the nutrients we need because of modern farming practices depleting the soil of nutrients/chemical fertilisers etc etc (hence why organic is always best). By juicing, you are getting more nutrients because you can drink a lot more veggies than you can eat.

Some helpful tips for successful juicing:-
    - get the best quality of juicer you can afford and if your budget allows get a twin-gear or masticating juicer.
    - make sure it is easy to clean - nothing stops a juice detox faster than a juice machine that is a pain in the @$$ to clean
    - use completely organic produce as much as you can otherwise you will still be introducing toxins into your body (through pesticide residue etc) than if just eating regular fruit/vegetables. Or you could peel everything to minimise the pesiticide residue.

Watch the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" if you can get your hands on it - proof that juicing is good for us. I would recommend at least a week for a juice detox the first time you try it as it takes a few days to feel the benefits. The first couple of days really do feel like you are detoxing from drugs ha ha.

P.S love the idea of adding healthy nut oils to your juices to get fats. I do this with green smoothies which I practically live on.

Good luck!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    Consuming juices in moderation, as part of a healthy and balanced diet can be beneficial.....personally I would never do it though.

I read an interview recently with Joe Cross and even he said a beginner should only try it for a few days and if you do it longer
    you should do it under a care of a physician and get blood work checked once a week.

Some good reads......

http://www.ballingerathleticperformance.com/juice-fasting-pointless-waste-time-money/

http://www.mayoclinic.org/juicing/expert-answers/FAQ-20058020

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-03-12/Done-properly-juicing-can-play-role-in-healthy-diet/53498466/1

These are great articles! All are now bookmarked. :D Thanks for your input!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people who have replied in the negative have actually tried a juice detox....

No one on earth has ever tried a juice detox because there's no such thing.

The word "detox" actually means something, and it doesn't mean "drinking water and/or juice."
    The main benefits of juicing are that these days it is impossible to eat enough fresh fruit and vegetables to get the nutrients we need because of modern farming practices depleting the soil of nutrients/chemical fertilisers etc etc (hence why organic is always best).

I don't think "organic" means what you think it means.
    By juicing, you are getting more nutrients because you can drink a lot more veggies than you can eat.

The implication is that more nutrients are better...?
    Watch the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" if you can get your hands on it - proof that juicing is good for us.

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is not a "documentary." It's a propaganda film to sell juicers and books. It is full of misinformation, BS, and outright lies. The diet plan it promotes is very unhealthy. The film is not "proof" of anything except how incredibly gullible people are.
  • Chicagolopez
    Chicagolopez Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I guss you can count me in as one of the gullible people. I juiced for about 5 days then I saw the documentary or commercial and I for one feel that it is a good way to re-boot my system.

I am finishing day two of my 10 day detox and feel ok. In my past I have been able to maintain a 2 day fast without anything and have adheared to the paleo diet for the last three years.I have lost and maintained a 35 pound weight loss.

There are many ways we gained our weight, I guess there are just as many ways to lose our weight.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I guss you can count me in as one of the gullible people

Yes....yes you are.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    There are many ways we gained our weight, I guess there are just as many ways to lose our weight.

Indeed, there are.

Ways to gain weight: 1 - eat at a calorie surplus.
    Ways to lose weight: 1 - eat at a calorie deficit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options
    As Sara would say:wink:

Detox is not a medical term but a sales pitch.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the point in posting if I'm not going to even be open to opposing viewpoints, lol.

THIS. This right here makes you win MFP today! You won't believe how many people are closed off to advice and differing opinions!

Wow that is seriously refreshing, this post made my day! :smile: :happy: :happy:
  • mlapsevertgo1223
    mlapsevertgo1223 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Breville juicer. I LOVE IT. And I love juicing:love::smile: