Ladies, is Tom sabbotaging your diet?

Options
Seriously! Every time my tom comes around there is 2 weeks where all I want is garbage and i completely sabbotage my diet and have zero self control. Does anyone else have this problem? Does birth control help?

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder during that week for me. Someone could probably look through my diary and tell when it comes around from all the chocolate on one or two days ????
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No, every time I see Tom Hiddleston I pretty much drool
  • Sashoi
    Sashoi Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I usually lose weight during my TOM. Except for last week because I pretty much drank my body weight in liquer lol.... But only gained 2lbs hopefully it's gone by Sunday weigh in.
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    I always gain 2kg during that time frame. and my hormones are all over the place. i dont know how my boyfriend puts up with my constant demands for him to go get me icecream... I turn into a food phycopath haha
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I feel it is a lot harder because i feel so entitled during tom lol." I'm in agony and miserable so ill have my cake if i want to". I try to be good but its hard because as soon as it starts my boyfriend throws chocolate at me to calm the beast:laugh:
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    I feel it is a lot harder because i feel so entitled during tom lol." I'm in agony and miserable so ill have my cake if i want to". I try to be good but its hard because as soon as it starts my boyfriend throws chocolate at me to calm the beast:laugh:

haha I think that we need to train our males in 101- dont feed me even if i may kill you! lol
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I try my best and usually succeed on Tom because our metabolism is said to speed up during this time. However, sugar cravings are the DEVIL! Any advice?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    For the week, yeah. For the month & in the big picture? Nope.

It sure can be frustrating at first, but I found that as time went by, I settled in and didn't stress over it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'll see a 5lb gain that takes a few days or a week to resolve itself. As for the cravings, I just have some of what I'm craving, generally in moderation, and try to get through the experience unscathed. :wink:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I try my best and usually succeed on Tom because our metabolism is said to speed up during this time. However, sugar cravings are the DEVIL! Any advice?

I give in to the craving but -- in moderation -- I actually do so much better this way than if I try to eat something else to replace what I REALLY want.
  • Jacleepin
    Jacleepin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    After I couldn't stop eating on Tuesday night, I checked my calendar on Wednesday morning, yep! I was due. Oh...now I see why I couldn't control myself. lol. I was like that again last night, but tonight the overwhelming urge to put food in my mouth has subsided. It may help that I worked out early tonight though. Hmm. Maybe I should have done that on Wed. and Thu. ...note to self...
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yup, of late I've turned into a crazy TOM food monster :devil:
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options

haha I think that we need to train our males in 101- dont feed me even if i may kill you! lol

Yeah I'm scared to think of how i will be when im pregnant! Sometimes i try to justify it by " oh well i dont want to be a raging b**** for a week so i should just eat this junk food. Im being selfless really.":tongue:
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    for sugar cravings (Im a chocoholic) I use hersheys dark chocolate bakers chocolate powder and mix some inside a cup of dannon light and fit coconut greek yogurt

you can also add some to a smoothie made with frozen strawberries half a banana and some milk (or almond milk )

be careful with the unsweetened bakers chocolate more is not your friend it has no sugar and just gives you a hint of chocolate flavor and the fruit gives you the sweet
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a lousy 2 weeks out of the month due to my period as well but I'm 41 and learned to deal with it without eating (too much). Routine vigorous exercise probably helped limit my symptoms and cravings the most. However, some things I've learned help me a lot are:

Routine sleep times
    Plenty of water
    Diurex (it's an over the counter diuretic, I"m not advocating it for everyone but it helps me cut the bloat)
    regular vigorous exercise (Yoga, pilates, low/mod. intensity stuff didn't help as much as running and boot camp).
    Hot tea, lots of it. I prefer herbals like peppermint (Trader Joe's brand is great and cheap)
    David's Teas and Harney and Sons have Chocolate Mint teas that help curb chocolate cravings. David's is more dessert like, with little bits of chocolate that melt, yet there are a tiny amount of calories and carbs.

Good luck! Oh and I never took BCPs so can't comment on that.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    For the week, yeah. For the month & in the big picture? Nope.

It sure can be frustrating at first, but I found that as time went by, I settled in and didn't stress over it.

I wouldn't stress if it was only one week, but its two weeks! That is half the month!!!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I notice a slight uptick in weight (about 2 lbs) and I have the urge to eat everything in sight. Fortunately my cycle is fairly regular so I can identify it and then just work some chocolate into my diet. I've had a terrible time with hormone fluctuations my entire life but I've found that if I'm regularly exercising the symptoms tend to not be as bad - except in an humorous twist of fate, the one thing I never want to do in the days leading up to it is exercise.
  • naariel
    naariel Posts: 37
    Options
    I experience various symptoms during my cycles. Cravings for two/three days mid-cycle (so that would be ovulation period). Then, a few days to more than a week before TOM I have increased water retention and painful breasts. Usually put on ~2lbs or don't lose then lose it all suddenly. That water retention goes away when my period starts (first day, really) and since I have nausea and lack of appetite for the first few days I tend to lose rather than gain any weight. Otherwise it's really mid-cycle rather than TOM that causes my body to go all "let's make babies and fat tissue".

Birth control can help if your cravings are related to the hormonal drop the last week before your period (until about a week after, when it starts going up again, so that could explain your 2 weeks problem). I don't have much empiric experience though, only took BCP a few months and since symptoms were less visible back then I didn't look for differences.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    When I was on birth control it did not seem to help but it may work differently with your body chemistry. Talking to your doctor is probably a good idea.

Eating healthy regularly and avoiding processed foods seems to have had an enormous (positive) impact on my cravings. They've pretty much disappeared.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My only issue with TOM is that a week before I have a couple days when I am ravenous. Otherwise, I haven't noticed any difference, but I have cravings all the time anyway.