Living with celiac disease, underactive thyroid & IBS?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm soot & i'm current 238 pounds, (17st+)
I've been slowly gaining over the years and have never really been able to figure out why, I've seen my GP countless times to no avail with the usual "your portions are too high" I've seen a dietrician when I was younger because I was diagnosed with Celiac disease at 15. I currently maintain a wheat & gluten free diet, following my diet plan is a necessity otherwise I will feel awful throughout the day and barely get any sleep. I was experiencing cramps / bloating so I decided to go back to the GP for more tests to also find out I have IBS(Irritable bowel syndrome) which is also kind of restricting my diet, can't eat cheese, not much milk, no cheese, eggs, I can't drink coffee or tea and most squash kills me so I have to limit myself to water only for fluid intake.

Unfortunately my diseases seemed to keep getting more and more as I have also been told I have anemia, I seemingly have very bad absorption because the iron supplements I've been taking have had no affect at all. I had a baby (20 months old now) and since I had him got the implanon(contraceptive implant) fitted which I had gained over a stone in a year with. No other contraception seemed appropriate for me, so I have continued on with my implanon dispite the obvious weight gain.

Recently, I found out I now have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, which seems to restrict things even more...
Bit of a toughie, but I was wondering if anyone else had or has any trouble with any of the diseases listed?

Obviously I can't really find a weight plan that fits my needs very well because of the fact I can't eat wheat or gluten, eggs, cheese, milk etc.

I have tried to explain countless times to my GP and dietrician but neither agree with "starvation mode" and reckon I eat too much as a portion, if you don't get a celiac recipe right it tastes awful, so you have to follow the guidelines 100% otherwise it's a waste of ingredients and you have to throw it away, I have the help of celiac UK with recipes, I have thyroxine which seems to have helped 0%

Is there any help for me or am I a doomed cause?
I've had a lot of depression/stress issues in the past, and the weight is making it worse than ever.

Thanks!
Soot.

Replies

• Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same situation. My thyroid is fine, but I have celiacs, IBD, and I'm anemic. I take liquid iron, but I won't know for a few months when I do bloodwork again if it's absorbing or not.

And I have major food triggers - meat, gluten, oats, most raw and some cooked veggies, some fruits, dairy, eggs, seeds, nuts, peanuts and corn. So basically I'm a gluten free vegan who can't eat veggies or nuts/seeds lol. I haven't tried beans, but I doubt I'd tolerate them. Anything that usually causes gas is a bad idea.

BUT if I can do it, you definitely can. I eat the fruit I can eat, rice cakes/crackers, white rice, potatoes, smoothies with vegan protein powder, cereal with almond milk (I can drink the milk, just can't eat the hard nut) I juice my veggies so I still get the nutrients when I can't eat them.

And I supplement because it's obviously not a balanced diet. I take a multi-vitamin, vit D, calcium, probiotics, iron and I get a monthly vit b12 shot.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor put you on the low-FODMAP diet for your IBS? It's a diet that was specifically developed for people with IBS and since that also cuts out wheat you'd be halfway there with the gluten free thing. If you google Dr Sue Shepherd and low FODMAP recipes you could get a good start.

When I did it (my IBS ended up being cause by meat, so it didn't work for me) I made a list for my fridge on foods that I could have. I found that easier that a list of foods I couldn't eat. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i put my uc in remission by going gluten , dairy, egg meat free.

i follow eat to live lifestyle.

feel free to join me.. i had uc since i was 16. was on steroids. which piled on the weight up to 370 pounds, but now im off all meds and working on healing my arthritis through whole food nutrition.. im down 205 pounds. working on my last 30 to goal..

you can do it.. we can together

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Not doomed; I've lived with Crohn's and Coeliac since age 8, and I find it quite achievable. Cooking gluten free isn't hard if you come about it the right way, I find trying to sub ingredients to recreate recipes that essentially exist because of wheat/gluten is just hard and disappointing, and often ends up being calorific. Lean meats, vegetables, fruits, are all naturally gluten free. Work out what fruits and vegetables are your triggers. It's worthy starting an elimination diet (ask your GP or research yourself). I know I need to avoid seeds and nuts, some vegetable peels and skins, excess dairy, fat, sugar, and very spicy foods. Some days I indulge, I do it with the knowledge I will have side effects. It might sound daunting, but it just becomes habit. Just give it time, and learn to read your body's reactions.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i put my uc in remission by going gluten , dairy, egg meat free.

i follow eat to live lifestyle.

feel free to join me.. i had uc since i was 16. was on steroids. which piled on the weight up to 370 pounds, but now im off all meds and working on healing my arthritis through whole food nutrition.. im down 205 pounds. working on my last 30 to goal..

you can do it.. we can together

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability

THIS. I too am med free, and have been for a few years now. I manage my condition with my diet and steady exercise, and am doing better than I ever did on my heavy steroid and immune suppressants.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i agree i know what my body can tolerate.. nuts are ok, but have to be chewed thorough. whole corn kills me.. gluten i pay big time for. just listen to your body.

elimination diet is great keep a journal how you feel after you eat each food..