Plantar Fasciitis and Working Out

Options
My part-time job at Home Depot stocking the store at night is kicking my behind! I've been there almost a year now and since working there, I've developed Plantar Fasciitis in one foot. I can no longer work out like I use to because it's excruciating to my foot. I was on medical leave for the condition from HD for about 2 months. I was hoping that it would get better with some of the stretching exercises that the doctor gave me, along with the orthotic inserts he suggested that I buy, but none of it has helped. That two month period of not being able to work or working out took a toll on me. While on leave, I gained back a substantial amount of the weight that I had lost and I just want to get back in the gym.

This condition really puts a damper on your spirits for doing a lot of things. I couldn't even enjoy shopping during the holidays with my daughter because I could only walk for a short period of time before I start hobbling along. Because I try not to put so much of my weight on the troubled foot, I'm leaning more on the other and now I can feel twinges of the same thing beginning to happen to the good foot :(. I don't have much time during my days between both jobs (leave home at 6am, leave my first job at around 5-5:15p, spend about 1 1/2 hours in traffic, get home around 7p, and have to be at HD at 8p and leave HD at around 2am... MONDAY - FRIDAY so by the time I get home I'm EXHAUSTED and in a whoooooooole lot of pain), I thought about doing small workouts in the mornings, but if you know anything about pf, you know that the mornings are pretty much the worst time of the day. I park my car as far away from my office building as I can, just so that I can get some kind of walking in to start my day. Of course pulling freight at HD is a pretty strenuous workout but it just doesn't feel the same as a real cardio pumping, sweaty, intense kind of workout :).

I'm sure some of you are saying, "just quit the part-time job if it's causing you so much pain..." and I've considered that. I've been trying to find another job that wouldn't require me to be on my feet for long periods of time. My daughter is graduating hs in May and about to go to college and I started saving for this far too late in the game, so quitting right now, isn't really an option. I've told my supervisors and they've seen the doctors notes so they allow me brief breaks during my shift and I'm appreciative for that.

Long story short; does anyone have any suggestions for working out with plantar fasciitis or have any of you suffered from this condition, and if so, how did you manage and keep your fitness routine going.

***p.s.... No bashing please. Some folks on this site are VERY rude and mean for no reason. I'm not asking for a pity party- just advice on how to best cope with this condition.

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with PF yesterday :( I've been told no running or long walks for at least 2 months and then we'll reassess.

My doctor says that low impact exercise is fine though, so I'm going to be going to Spin Classes, using the stationary bike at the gym and also the rowing machine.

He suggested swimming and the cross trainer too but I can't swim and I really really hate the crosstrainer!!!!!
  • candykoated
    candykoated Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was considering the rowing machine as an option as you suggested. But after talking with some friends, one did in fact suggest the rowing machine, but then the other person said that you'd be surprised at how much you use your feet on that machine. I don't know. I guess I'll have to try it for myself. Swimming and the stationary bike are also great options as you stated. The weekends are the only time I can get into the gym to utilize those options but the way I'm walking now, I'm sometimes embarrassed to go anywhere. This condition really sucks!

I hope your condition gets better for you soon "lawlorka" :). I've had it for about 10 months now and I just feel like my quality of life has declined since. But I was also hard headed in the beginning and refused to go to the doctor because I thought it was just my foot being sore and would go away. Never even heard of pf until he told me about it.
  • dl68cooper
    Options
    Hi Candy - I know what your going through. I've been suffering with PF for more than a year now, but I've kept working out. It comes and goes, but I've learned a few things that may help you. Lots of stretching and foam rolling will help. Foam roll and stretch your legs and back every day and multiple times a day. Everything is connected, if you leg and back muscles are tight they will pull on the muscles and tendons in your feet and make things worse. When you have a few seconds at work do some toe touches or put your leg on a shelf and grab for your leg or foot. I try to hold my stretches for at least 10 to 15 seconds or more. Stretch before you workout and after. I know this sounds like a a lot, but it will help. Pick exercises in the gym other than walking/running. Like you said rowing, stair master, elliptical, stuff with no pounding. Try a yoga class. Yoga is awesome for stretching your body out and a great workout too. I wish you good luck.
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis is a cruel beast. I'm sorry you're going through this pain. My condition began with plantar fasciitis then progressed into something more serious called posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, I still get plantar fasciitis from time to time. The main thing is doing what is needed to let that foot rest and heal. When you get home from work or are in pain freeze a water bottle and stick it inside of a thin sock and roll your foot over it. You may need true physical therapy to help get rid of it. If none of that helps you may need professional custom orthotics.. (I have done all of the above and will be in a custom orthotic the rest of my life). Also, never wear heels, sandals, or unsupportive shoes. As I'm sure you know, excess weight increases pain so losing will help (when I last lost 30# my pain was much less). As for working out, the main thing that is pain free for me is the stationary bike and swimming. I do low impact videos if the pain is low such as: Pilates on the Ball, WW Belly Butt & Thighs, a little yoga, and chair exercises (if pain is unbearable). When I have time to get on the computer I will message you some resources. Lastly, you may want to see an orthopedist or get a second opinion from another poditrist, had my underlying condition been caught and treated properly sooner I may have not ended up with a permanent issue.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I have PF in both feet. Just find something you can do. I use a stationary bike. I also make sure I ALWAYS wear supportive footwear.

Remember the only thing required for losing weight is a calorie deficit, if you need to take a break from exercise to heal- do it. Or find something that doesn't hurt your feet :smile:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I was hoping that it would get better with some of the stretching exercises that the doctor gave me, along with the orthotic inserts he suggested that I buy, but none of it has helped.

You didn't notice any improvement at all from stretching or orthotics? Did you do this stretch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEintoiiqSg

If done a few times a day, it should help.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I got PF in August. I tries stretches & sole inserts... but they didn't work. Then I got a night splint at Walgreens, wore it to bed, and the next morning I felt ALOT better. After wearing it for a week I was probably back to about 90%. Now I don't feel any pain. I don't know if this would work for you, but with PF pain, I was willing to give anything a try and I'm so glad I tried this.
  • greenead21
    Options
    Thank for posting about PF. I diagnosed myself then confirmed it with a doctor a few months ago. He's given me stretching exercises and inserts. The condition is worse when I wake up and right before bed. I wear tennis shoes exclusively now instead of the flats I wore last summer. My doctor won't give me cortisone shots until he thinks I really need them. Good luck and I hope you find relief. All the posts encouraged me to get consistent with my stretches.
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is water aerobics or swimming an option for you?
  • katie33001
    Options
    I had it for about a year. During that year I worked out consistently with the stationary bike. It was the only thing I could do without pain.

The best thing for me was the night splint. I bought it off amazon. Every once in a while I'll have a little pain so I put on some KT tape (google for directions -- very easy!) and wear the splint for a couple nights and it goes away entirely.

Stretching, frozen water bottle, tennis balls, etc all helped, but it didn't go away until I bought the splint.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a cortisone shot? I know you weren't asking for help with PF necessarily, but I've had it too. When I had PF in both feet, a cortisone shot took care of it. Now I just wear my orthodics and I haven't had a flare up again in 20 years. I know a lot of people don't like cortisone shots, but it sure took care of mine. I have also done the row machine and would suggest you give it a try too. You do use your feet, but you're not on your feet. Good luck, PF sucks!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    glad i saw this.

i've been having HORRIBLE PF!

last saturday i started an aggressive stretching routine and it's really helped A LOT. i'm actually to the point where it's completely gone in one foot and mostly gone in the other. today was the first day in like 4 weeks that i was able to get out of bed and walk like a regular person to the bathroom without hobbling,limping,whimpering and wincing in pain.

i recently shared what i've been doing on my friend's list and will just copy it here:

first. as soon as you wake up, alternate flexing your toes up and pointing them down several times. also do a few where you hold the flexed toe position for awhile (you should really feel a stretch in the arch of you foot. that should help get rid of some of the first steps of the day pain.

throughout the day do some or all of these: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/stretching/the-5-most-effective-calf-stretches.html . towel stretch can be done when you're relaxing and watching tv. the step drop can be done off a phone book or other large book or even with toes at an angle against the wall.

the mock sit is also good total time i've been doing is like 15 minutes. also making sure to do some stretches after my workout . hope this helps!

ETA : total time i spend stretching calves and achilles is 15 minutes. like i said it's aggressive (well that amount of stretching such a small part of my body is aggressive to me) but has totally been worth it. i stretch first thing in the AM, a few times during the day at work, before and after my workout and before i go to sleep.
  • getgemma
    getgemma Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

A lot of great advise has been given above!

I have PF in both feet and had a course of physio over 8months and initially didn't see much improvement with the stretches. I was gutted as I used to play netball regularly (3x a week). Also being at work (Events industry where you are continuously on your feet) was becoming a struggle.

Then all of a sudden I had some initial relief and was able to progress back into exercise. I attribute this to; educating myself from research online and my physio; healing time, this means no exercise and minimal walking; stretching at least three times a day; Ibuprofen to take down the inflammation; and wearing trainers or flats with orthopaedic soles.

Because I put on so much weight 2st I was determined enough was enough and like yourself found ways to exercise. Cycling first. Then gradually I introduced running. I did a 5k beginner program and followed it. I never pushed myself over what was needed. I also do a few yoga stretches and a dynamic warm up before any activities.

I will stress that I made time to stretch at lunch and iced my feet under my desk using a chilled glass water bottle - bizarre to colleagues but it was what was needed! I would do stretches every time I went to the toilet. Keep a golf ball near the sofa to massage your inner soles and heel. Be warned it hurts! I also wear compression sports socks when active or those socks that support your feet- the fabric is sewn or tight to support the feet arches.

I now run 5k every weekend and up to 15k. I hope for you too the is a come back. BUT ALL THIS TOOK 2 YEARS, so please be patient.

Have you considered power hooping because that is fun and gets you in a sweat!

GOOD LUCK!
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    golf ball!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem and it comes and goes. It seems to depend on the shoes--change them--keep trying until you find a pair that doesn't hurt. One thing that really helps besides the stretches(which by the way I've been doing faithfully everyday for 10 years) is rolling a tennis ball under your foot--can even take it to work and do it there. I do this 4 times a day plus anti-inflammatory and it works. Good luck and don't give up--Keep looking for the right solution for you.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Mine took over a year to heal and sometimes it will still act up.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would say.. the road to recovery entails not doing anything that hurts or makes you feel your foot.

For me that included not doing running and biking (except lightly for short distances) and even not swimming too long.

I am now fully recovered, although I don't run middle to long distances anymore. I only do sprint training.

If you hurt at your job, you probably should try to eliminate that. If you can't you can't. Eliminate other things.

And.. you can get thin without walking or running or biking. A bit of walking is much less effective than controlling your calorie intake.

When I did have it I did stretches and rolling a tennis ball under my foot.

Oh one thing I forgot: I had pretty hard leather shoes.. I put some fairly thick rubbery plastic insoles I bought inside them and that helped a lot too.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If the stretches and other exercises aren't helping, you might want to ask your doctor to refer you for a foot xray to see if you have developed a heel spur - calcification of the attachment point of the PF ligament to the heel bone. These are extremely painful and are unlikely to respond to stretching/strengthening exercises alone.

I speak from bitter experience here!

Heel spurs can be treated by physiotherapists with a combination of ultrasound and electrical stimulation (TENS), as well as stretching and strengthening. Treatment may take up to 12 months to be effective. In the meantime, you have to find some exercise that you can do that will not hurt your feet. For me this has included cycling (both spin and on the road), swimming and water aerobics. I found that after about 4 months treatment I was able to use the rowing machine at the gym without pain. I also found that I could do circuit classes without pain. In my gym, these are conducted on a floor that is heavily cushioned with rubber matting. Six months into treatment I was comfortably dong boxercise classes on the same floor surface. Eight months into treatment I can now run for up to 30 minutes at a stretch on an unpaved surface (dirt/grass etc) and my walking is almost back to normal.

I also wear custom made orthotics and pay particular attention to the supportiveness of my footwear. Weight loss has also helped reduce the problem.

Best of luck finding a solution :-)
  • PeaceHappinessBalance
    Options
    I had it right after I gave birth to my baby and had just started working out (I think I was 275 pounds at the time). It really does hurt and hinders you! Personally, what helped me was cutting down on sodium (I don't know why? Maybe it made my feet swollen a little although they never looked swollen) and losing weight. I would do the elliptical if you have access to one, or some workout that doesn't put as much pressure on your heel. Stationary bike? I agree that maybe you should seek additional medical attention (foot xray).

I don't know what happened but after a while, it kind of just went away. I did the frozen water bottle and calf stretches and those helped during times of pain. Good Luck!
  • bigeasy2134568
    Options
    Avoid stretching and any cortisone or pain masking agents!! Plantar Fasciitis is when the fascia under the arch of your foot is inflamed. When you stretch it, the muscle tears and the inflammation sets in further, preventing your bodies tissue from healing. You need to increase blood flow to the area to treat PF. The symptoms of PF can be treated with cold therapy, but you need to avoid stretching at all costs. Look into BFST by King Brand, they are the only makers of the technology and it works!! I used to really feel it when doing load bearing work outs like squats and lunges. DO NOT STRETCH, you will only make your PF last much much longer.