Foot Blisters?

Options
Hello MFP family,

I have a question that i need some advice on. Foot Blisters! So this week I have up'd my miles. Last month I started off walking for 30 minutes and now I am up to walking 90 minutes straight doing about a little over 4 miles. Yesterday my foot was fine. No problems. Today I go to the gym and I walked for an hour (since the treadmill only lets you walk 60 mins for max time) and after I finish my foot was hurting really really bad. I still had to do another 30 minutes so I pushed threw the pain and walked for 30 more minutes. When I got home, I took a look at my foot and its a big ole' blister. Its like dark red (sorry for being graphic) so what do I do now? I looked online and some information say don't pop the blister but then some say do pop the blister. This is my first blister so I don't know what to do about it. Am I still able to walk with this blister? If not, how long do i have to give my foot a rest =(. Any helpful advice is very appreciated.

Thanks

-Jaz

Replies

• louisemallas
    louisemallas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I carrying on walking but put a bit of extra padding around the blister. Your shoes must be rubbing but you can break them in. Just check they fit properly and support you as they should. I have a big red one at the moment but carry on everyday with a bit more padding where the blister is.
  • MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks Louise =) I think I walked out my shoes and need to get a new pair because the bottom is starting to go thin at the sole of the foot. I guess I will just add some band-aids and wear thicker socks.
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I believe the thinking behind not breaking the blister is that by removing that protective layer of skin and plasma you expose the "injured" area to a risk of infection. It is not always possible to keep a blister from breaking, especially for me on the foot - just to much movement. If it does break, I usually recommend antibiotic ointment and a bandage for a couple of days while the healing starts.

I have also noticed on my blisters that if they don't break they heal faster. With some blisters, it seems like they don't know when to stop filling with plasma. The blister becomes so full that it is painful. When this happens, I sterilize a pin and poke a small hole at he base of the blister. Carefully blot up the released liquid and then cover with a bandage. Sometimes that top layer of skin will reattach to the lower layer other times it dries up and sluffs off in about a week and a half to two weeks. Just keep an eye out for infection because you have opened a way for infection, though I have never had a blistered area get infected after doing this. I like to err on the side of caution.

I am kind of envious that this is your first blister. I have spent to much of my work life in food service to be a stranger to blisters, though most of mine are burn related not friction related.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I personally like to pop my blisters then slather them in Neosporin and put a bandage on them.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I usually let blisters go until they drain on their own. If I'm running and it pops on it's own they I'll bandage it and keep it covered while I'm active, but let it breathe and dry out when I'm at home.

As far as proventing them in the furure. What kind of sockes are you wearing? If you are wearing thin socks, ditch those for regular thinkness socks for when you are exercising. Thin socks don't give you enough padding.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are important.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    May I ask why such a big jump in your times of doing it? Wonderful that you are pushing your self but maybe next time only increase by 15-30 mins so your body gets used to the extra strain on it then increase again when you feel like itll be good enough to
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There are two things you need to do: Go to a running store (not a chain, but a local place) and get fitted for the correct walking/running shoes. Tell them about the blisters and they will be very helpful.

Second, get different socks. I have terrible issues with blisters unless I wear double-layer WrightSox. If you can't find them locally, you can get them online. They're s bit pricey (about $7 a pair is the cheapest I've found) but they last for years and are SO worth it.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    2 threads about blisters this AM!
    Wow lol

I responded here as well:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169260-blister-from-shoes

There's more advice there too
  • flouryapron
    Options
    Pop the blister with a sterilized pin, drain the plasma. If you can, air the blister as much as possible. This encourages the skin underneath to heal and harden again. If your blister is small you can just tear off the skin, or use scissors to snip it off. You can also use zinc oxide tape on parts of your foot which are prone to blistering as a PREVENTATIVE measure, DO NOT put it over an unhealed blister.

As rml_16 says, get the right shoes to fit your feet and invest in some decent running socks. Good luck!
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. It'll heal a lot faster if you pop it by poking a tiny hole then squeezing it. Don't tear off the skin.

In the future make sure your socks are tight. I get blisters when my feet slide around in my socks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Proper running shoes (professionally fitted and a size up)
    Ditch the cotton socks and go with an actual running sock (most brands have a 3-pack)

On the occasion that I get a blister (wet trail running) I will let it heal itself if it is smaller than a dime. If it's larger, I will pop it with a sterilized needle and soak in Epsom salt bath and give it lots of air. I find that putting any kind of goo or bandaging on it, and then running, will only irritate it more.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Make sure your socks aren't cotton also. Cotton tends to hold moisture which increases friction when moving. Look for some polyester ones. Target sells good budget polyester running socks. I got a four pack recently for $12 vs the $12+ a pair a running store can charge.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    If you pop the blister, you open it up to infection and bacteria. The don't tend to heal faster either way. Healing time depends more on the location and any ongoing trauma.

You can prevent blisters easily by using Bodyglide on your feet before you put on socks/shoes. You can also use vasoline, but it doesn't last as long and might stain your socks.

Get some moleskin - the adhesive kind - at the drugstore. Cut a square and then cut a whole in the middle to leave the blister area open. Make sure the moleskin is high enough to prevent contact witht he blister. Use multiple layers or the padded moleskin.

If you get blisters in the same places constantly, check you gait and shoes - it's often a sign of poor fit.
  • roniredd
    Options
    Make sure you are wearing appropriate shoes and socks! Very important, trust me!
  • smithcarola
    smithcarola Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Band-aid brand makes a specific band-aid for blisters (I think it's called Blister Ampules) They are a little stretchy and give a nice pad over and around the blister. That should help protect the blister so you can keep walking in the short run. Typically, you want to try to keep the blister intact and let it heal on it's own, unless the pressure gets to be too painful. Then, sterylize a needle, drain the blister and keep it clean and dry until it heals.

For the long run, you probably do need a different pair of shoes. I have to agree with rml_16 about getting fitted for proper shoes. The advice I was given about walking/running shoes is 1) Make sure the shoes you are walking in are GOOD and fit properly...the $30 store special probably won't cut it. They will likely wear out too fast or possibly cause an injury. 2) Track your miles. Shoes are usually only good for around 500 miles before they need to be replaced...also try not to store your shoes in the heat (like inside the car on a hot summer's day). The heat will breakdown the rubber insoles faster and you'll have to replace them sooner.
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of walking in my time and suffered from a lot of foot blisters. I find them very painful when they pop on their own, I would rather have it on my own terms! So I use a sterilised needle and make a small hole, enough to squeeze the fluid out and so it won't refill, but don't remove the skin. Then I clean it and cover it with a hydrocolloid plaster such as compeed. They also help to cushion the area and protect it from further rubbing. Much less painful than letting it pop on its own, then dealing with an icky foot and sock.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    drain them if possible and bandaid and keep running..
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    I usually let blisters go until they drain on their own. If I'm running and it pops on it's own they I'll bandage it and keep it covered while I'm active, but let it breathe and dry out when I'm at home.

As far as proventing them in the furure. What kind of sockes are you wearing? If you are wearing thin socks, ditch those for regular thinkness socks for when you are exercising. Thin socks don't give you enough padding.

Omg you hit the nail right on the head. lol my mom was just saying the same thing about the sock thing. I do wear thin socks. I am a sockie and all my cute socks are thin but I guess I just have to go with the ugly plain white or black thick socks.
  • MissJazzie14
    Options
    May I ask why such a big jump in your times of doing it? Wonderful that you are pushing your self but maybe next time only increase by 15-30 mins so your body gets used to the extra strain on it then increase again when you feel like itll be good enough to

I have increase slowly. The last week of December I increase my walking by 10 minutes but then when my friends starting coming along I just remember being on the treadmill walking and trying to talk why out of breath lol and we just kept walking and before I knew it I did a whole hour and didn't notice it. I do know when to push myself and when to give myself a break. So far I am comfortable walking for 90 minutes while listening to my music and singing. At the gym they make it kind of easy because you can watch t.v while on the treadmill and next thing you know time flown by and I walked even further.