How do you cook your veggies??

Options
amyliz00226
amyliz00226 Posts: 12 Member
I LOVE sautéed onions, zucchini, and steamed broccoli! Any tips on healthier and flavorful ways to cook these? Thank you:smile:

Replies

• latewinterwolf
    Options
    steamed unless they are frozen peas then i whack em in boiling water for like 20 seconds delicious.
    and yes i still eat roast parsnip (roast beetroot is absoloutlly delicious i order you all to try it haha
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    roasted in a hot oven with a little avocado oil and light seasoning for about 15-20 minutes... mmmm
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I love to roast darn near everything. Especially broccoli until the trees are crispy. Toss in a bit of oil, add salt/pepper/garlic/whatever you like, spread out on a pan and bake at 425 until delicious (anywhere from 20-45 min, depends on how big I cut stuff). Yum!

Edited because for some stupid reason my keyboard only half works on MFP and creates major typos :noway:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sautéed onions, zucchini, and steamed broccoli! Any tips on healthier and flavorful ways to cook these? Thank you:smile:

Roasting, steaming and grilling are probably the healthiest ways to cook them. Sauteeing certainly is not bad either. Boiling isn't as good because it breaks down the veggie and you lose some nutrients as well as fiber.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    frozen veggies burned in the frying pan. Weird i know. Its my favorite way to have them though.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Except for stir-fry, the only way I cook veggies is through roasting! All you really need is a touch of olive oil, salt, and pepper (anything else is bonus!). It brings out the natural sweetness in vegetables.

One of my favorite recipes:
    http://foxeslovelemons.com/2013/03/the-best-broccoli-ever-parmesan-lemon-roasted-broccoli.html

Another:
    http://recipes.runnersworld.com/Recipe/maple-glazed-brussels-sprouts.aspx
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Steam, roast, sautee, and carrots - I cook in the microwave. Yes, strange, but it's quick and they don't taste like boiled mush!
  • fyrefly1981
    Options
    roast them in the oven with just a small amount of walnut oil and balsamic vinegar!! add in fennel and some root veggies. :-) makes them super yummy and it smells like heaven when they're roasting!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I made some roasted vegetables (red potatoes, yellow and red peppers, green beans and mushrooms) with just some olive oil and thyme that were insanely good.

I also like to steam my broccoli and add some lemon juice to the steaming water, then sprinkle untoasted sesame seeds on top when they're finished.
  • Emar11
    Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sauteing is the best way to cook veggies. If you use olive oil, it is a healthy fat, and it is really important in a healthy diet and weight loss. If you are worried about too much added fat, then make sure to measure how much oil you use.

I love grilled veggies. That is even better than saute'ed.

Oven roasted is a good stand by too.

Find some good seasonings that you could use and even adding a little parmesan cheese once in a while spices them up.
  • thunderguts123
    thunderguts123 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I'm going to try that. I fry it in a llittle coconut oil and vegetable juice with, say, garlic; no salt!

Have a nice day!

Bob
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Grill red, yellow, and green peppers on a cast iron grill plan. Tons of flavor and nutrients without extra spices, plenty of color, and low calorie.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Broccoli or cauliflower or Brussels sprouts: roasted with a drizzle of olive oil, thinly sliced garlic clove(s), and minced lemon, rind and all. I love roasted lemon! Yes, it's tart, but you don't need salt.

Green beans or peas: usually steamed

Corn or carrots: roasted or steamed

Spaghetti or butternut squash: roasted, skin side up.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I love love love roasted vegetables. It brings out so much flavor :)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

Yumm.... I steam all my greens and like to sauté other veggies in a little olive oil (to add good fat in my diet). I also like to add a little spice to the veggies I saute... I use the McCormick Perfect Pinch line (they make several spices, from Cajun to Herb and Garlic -- I tend to use the no MSG/no sugar/no salt ones).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Roasting is my favorite. I've been eating a ton of roasted brussels sprouts lately.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

If you love them sauteed why are you looking for a different method? Is it just to try something different? Because there is nothing wrong with sauteed vegetables.

Also, don't fall for the previous poster's comments about brussels sprouts. I fell for it several months ago. It doesn't matter what you do with them. They still taste like little green buttholes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

If you love them sauteed why are you looking for a different method? Is it just to try something different? Because there is nothing wrong with sauteed vegetables.

Also, don't fall for the previous poster's comments about brussels sprouts. I fell for it several months ago. It doesn't matter what you do with them. They still taste like little green buttholes.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

:laugh:

edit: I do agree with this poster's comments that there's nothing wrong with sauteed veggies. Even if he did besmirch the good name of brussels sprouts.
  • amyliz00226
    Options
    Wow!!!! Thanks everyone!!!! I've never tried roasted veggies before (honestly wouldn't touch a lot of veggies until 4 years ago)! These are great ideas!
  • amyliz00226
    Options
    These recipes look AMAZING!!!! Thanks for sharing:)