Working Moms: Fitting Workouts in Schedule

Options

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    WHERE in your busy day do you fit in your workouts? I work out at night, either taking my kids to the gym daycare (once or twice a week), or after they are in bed.

WHEN do you do them? My husband's schedule changes weekly, so I try to sit down on Saturday or Sunday and plan out my workouts, to maximize the times he is available to be with the kids and minimize the times they have to go from daycare to daycare.

HOW do you making working out a priority? I just think that, although I am sacrificing an hour or so here and there with the kids and/or my DH, I am adding years to my life with them.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm in Massachusetts and I'm a runner. You most certainly CAN go outside, and there are plenty of people out. Seriously, I run between 5:30 and 7AM, and I will typically see at least a half dozen people out at that time, even when it's dark and in the single digits. Or I run at 9:30 after my kids are in bed... again.... there are a lot of people out. Last night, I went out at 10:00 PM and got a great show of the Aurora Borealis. It was six degrees, but I was perfectly comfortable.

You'll need a few things, though.

1. A headlamp
    2. A reflective vest (these are cheap and you can buy them at ****s)
    3. A ski mask if you're planning on going out in single digits or below zero (I do).
    4. Shoes that keep you from slipping. If you're just walking, a pair of LLBean boots will probably work. If you're jogging, a pair of "trail running" shoes work well enough, or you can google "screw shoes winter" to learn how to make ice shoes out of a pair of old athletic shoes.
    5. Maybe more layers? TJMaxx sells a lot of good stuff for cheap here if you don't mind your workout clothes not matching. But it's dark out!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I generally don't work out until around 8PM. I work out at home, and don't waste a lot of time doing cardio. My workouts are usually only average 25 minutes long. I lift weights and do strength training most of the time, which takes less time and you get quicker results. Sometimes I use my elliptical for about 15-20 minutes if I just want to blast music in my ears and clear my mind.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My three kids are older now, so my challenge is working all day, then attending all of their practices/games/activities at night and on the weekends. I get up at 4:00 am 2-3 times a week to work out at the gym. When they were little, we had dance time every night. It was great exercise, it soothed the usual 7:00 pm fussy time for the baby, and they all three thought it was a blast! It was so much fun to accomplish exercising, soothing a fussy baby and bonding with all of my kids in one fell swoop.
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I work 8-5, he usually drops our daughter (4) off at school and then I pick her up. We grab a snack for her at the house, change into our gym clothes and then head to the gym. Usually are there from about 6:30-8:30. Then head home, make dinner and put daughter to bed at about 9:30. Husband will usually make her lunch in the morning while she is getting dressed and whatnot. If we can't go to the gym for some reason than I will play some of the games I have for my Xbox Kinect, it gives me some sort of activity at least.
  • MissyBrears
    MissyBrears Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I work fulltime I leave home at 5:45 and don't get home until 5:30 or 6:00 my kids are grown mostly gone. My husband is a truck driver hardly ever home to start supper. When i get home I quickly throw on supper and start my 30 day shred which takes about 30 mins. It is a intense workout and I can do that while supper is cooking on low.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I work full time 8:30-4:30 each day. My husband works out of town Mon, Tues, Wed and Thurs.....so its just me and the kids. So after work I pick them up and its getting dinner ready, help with homework, bath/shower time, reading, bedtime and then an hour or so for me to wind down and catch up on my reading or TV. No way I can workout in the afternoons. If I want to workout, I have to wake up at 5a every day. and I do!! With my hubby not home I usually get to bed by 10p every night. When he gets home Thursday night we often stay up later, so I'm not asleep until 11p or so. But Friday is a day I can actually get a road run in b/c he's home with the kids - so I am very much dragging myself out of bed. But I tell myself I can sleep in on Saturday. LOL

You have to schedule time to workout like you do anything else in your life. Make it happen.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the early morning before everyone gets up, 5am. Nighttime prep is key for me. Coffeemaker, workout clothes, and work clothes are all ready to go with no fuss. Of course that's what works for me. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I like the ideas you've gotten for incorporating workouts throughout your work day. I personally just like having that part of my day checked off before I head out to work. Evenings are usually busy chauffering my super-busy-yet-too-young-to-drive teenagers around.

The other thing that's changed is I've discovered how incredibly unimportant television is. I'd much rather go to bed and get the sleep I need than watch some program on TV. Thanks to DVR and Netflix, I can watch the things I really like on the weekends and the rest is no longer as interesting as it used to be, at least not enough to keep me up past 10:00. Decent sleep powers my workouts and helps my willpower; I truly believe that when you don't sleep enough your body tries to recoup that missing "energy" by making you hungrier.
  • MzGeminii
    Options
    I am a mother of 4 children and I work full time. I find it so hard to get up in the morning to work out. So through the week (Monday-Friday) I work out either before or after I cook dinner and Saturday & Sunday around 9a.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out last year, I did my workouts in the mornings. I tend to go to bed late (11pm usually) but I still got up at 6:30 and worked out before getting the kids ready for school. I work full time, but I work at home. So now I have started trying a different schedule of not showering when I get up and then doing my workout and showering when I can fit it in during the day. I know you don't have that opportunity, though.

I would say make yourself get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning and do a 20-30 minute workout. I did 30 Day Shred as my first workout last year and that fit in with my busy schedule well. Fitnessblender.com has some great short workouts that I would highly recommend if you want more variety.
  • TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your position!!! My daughter is 2 ½ years old. I pick her up from daycare (my hubby drops her off in the mornings. She has extreme food allergies so I have to cook everything from scratch for us and take care of her in the evenings because my husband doesn’t get home until much later than I do. I am lucky, though. When my husband does get home he helps clean up the kitchen while I get our daughter ready for bed and get myself ready for work the next day and then bed. We generally have about 30 minutes wind-down time at the end of the night to relax and enjoy each other’s company.

I decided when I went back to work after having her that I would have to make time for me. That time just happens to be first thing in the morning. No matter how tired I am, I just get up and do my workouts. I used to belong to a gym , which I found super simple just to roll out of bed in my workout clothes – yes I slept in them! – and grab my things I laid out the night before and head to the gym. I would just get ready at the gym (which was very close to my office) and head into work from there. It was the best thing for me! I have recently quit the gym, and will be doing my first P90X fit test on Sunday, starting P90X on Monday at home. I found that you just HAVE to make time to do the exercise, just like you HAVE to make time for chores, cooking, and time with your kids. It is just as important to be fit (if not more important) than having a clean house all the time. Making it a non-negotiable thing in your life is the only way it is going to work.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you need motivation (I know I do every single day!).
  • nickpnh
    nickpnh Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My son too has food allergies so most tverything from scratch (Gluten Soy Legume Free).
    Gone from 8:15 - 6 or later at night. I was doing well swimming early and coming home showered to get everyone off to work and school. Unfortunately I got out of the habit. Just joined a fitness challenge hoping the competition will motivate me more. Yesterday was my first day back and I stayed below my calorie goal (1190) so its a start. No exercise but hope to add that over the weekend.
    Good luck everyone!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You kind of answered your own question, then made an excuse as to why you don't do it now.
    You used to workout in the mornings, but now you go to bed too late.

Try every other night going to bed earlier, take hubby with you. Get in a quick 15 minute "workout" and then sleep. You get family time, couple time and it's generally quicker than an episode of 30 Rock... I used to feel bad about turning in early bcs hubby and I didn't have much time to hang out after the kids went to bed. Now if I go to bed early he joins me. Works for us, sometimes he goes back downstairs to watch TV, sometimes he doesn't. Either way he doesn't feel neglected and I get some shut eye if I have an early workout planned.
  • aplatt41
    aplatt41 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just started a new chapter with MFP 3 days ago. I had my son do the same thing to me with my stomach. I was embarresed, and ashamed. He said "Mommy are you having a baby?", Yes it is true. He is only 6 yrs old. Wow, Then I also am a photographer and was shooting a wedding and my 2nd shooter captured a picture of me....and that was a wake up call. I didn't even see me in that picture. That cant be me. UGH. I refuse to get up earlier than I normally do. i get up at 6:00 check my emails and drink a cup of coffee, Then jump in the shower and then get my little one up for school. I work 8:30 to 5pm. So far I have pre made meals for me. My husband gets home earlier and he starts super for him and Gavin. I eat, do homework with Gavin and 7pm I have been walking for 30 minutes brisk walk. I will be purchasing the T25 in the near future. Need all the motivation i can get.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the early morning before everyone gets up, 5am. Nighttime prep is key for me. Coffeemaker, workout clothes, and work clothes are all ready to go with no fuss. Of course that's what works for me. I'm sure it's not for everyone. I like the ideas you've gotten for incorporating workouts throughout your work day. I personally just like having that part of my day checked off before I head out to work. Evenings are usually busy chauffering my super-busy-yet-too-young-to-drive teenagers around.

The other thing that's changed is I've discovered how incredibly unimportant television is. I'd much rather go to bed and get the sleep I need than watch some program on TV. Thanks to DVR and Netflix, I can watch the things I really like on the weekends and the rest is no longer as interesting as it used to be, at least not enough to keep me up past 10:00. Decent sleep powers my workouts and helps my willpower; I truly believe that when you don't sleep enough your body tries to recoup that missing "energy" by making you hungrier.

I was waiting for someone to mention this :) I am not saint but I rarely watch TV during the week. My TV time usually comes on teh weekends and then it's still not much. I work regular business hours with a 30-40 minute commute. I also have an hour lunch and I work in a four floor building. I'm also in school full time and doing clinical hours and I have a 7 year old.

First of all, my husband is incredibly helpful around the house. He does everything we need if I can't. No questiosn asked. He wants me to be successful an dhealthy and happy so he picks up with out me even asking. Meals, kid, etc. However, before I met him I was a completely single parent and just worked out after she went to bed, even if then I had to sacrifice a little sleep.

Second, I use my lunch break. When it's too cold or yucky or too hot I can only walk, but I will eat a protein bar and then head out for an hour walk. I also work by the mall so if it's dead of winter I will walk tot he mall and then walk around it. I also use the stairs in my building for short spurts here and there and have considered climbing them for 30-40 minutes over lunch instead of hte walk. Though I'd drive myself crazy. When it's perfect outside, I run on lunch and clean up in the bathroom. I live in WI btw.

Third, as mentioned, TV time is very limited during the week. I rarely watch it. Maybe one night a week. My husband and I talk a lot during the day and I don't feel we are missing out by not watching TV together.

Fourth, once or twice a week my daughter comes with me to the gym. She knows it's for us to be healthy.

Fifth, I wake up to work out at 5am 3 times a week and get it in before hte family goes to sleep. These nights I get in bed no later than 10pm. Usually earlier if I can.

I make great use of my weekends and take advantage of the time to catch up on homework, shows, do long workouts (a run for a few hours, etc) and family time. My daughter has NEVER complained about me needing to wokrout. When I do workouts at home she does them with me. She even picks her own workouts now on Fitness Blender for us to do together. You can do an effective 10 minute wokrout - once in the morning and once in the evening.

It's all what works for you. And if you are married, you shouldn't need to do all the meal prep, cleaning, kid stuff, etc. My husband is amazing and I know not all guys are like that, but it's so helpful!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Tough Love....

I've read through a lot of these, and it is excuse after excuse as to why you can't do something. And they are riddled with "I can't" or "I won't". It isn't that I'm not compassionate towards your plight, it is just that this isn't productive. My profile pic is from 15 years ago, before kids. I worked full-time, had a husband and a dog & was always too busy to work out or cook. I'm 5'1" I weighed close to 200lbs. Now I'm about 125 (have been for over a year). I have 2 kids, a full-time job, teach at the Y, run 2 youth programs at church and workout ~5 days a week. I don't watch much TV any more, but I do still spend time with my family. I am healthier and happier than I have ever been, and that is a gift to my family and my girls. I'm not trying to brag, I'm just showing you the choices I'm making to create the life I want.

We are all busy. We all get tired. There are days I don't feel like going to the gym. But 90% of the time I do go if it is part of my plan. Life get in the way and we have to be flexible, but that doesn't mean we always have to make our health take a back seat. Make a plan for what you want to do. If you are just starting out and 3 x week is fine. Then cut out an evening program or get up an hour early and move.

If you want to see change, you have to make changes...
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who shared ideas and suggestions! I find concrete suggestions to be so helpful. I do meal plan dinners and am slow cooking fool (see my other post asking for recipes). Now I know what I'm doing this weekend --- cooking ahead and making next week's dinners! It never occurred to me to meal plan lunches -- and why do I make them every night? I could make them on Sunday and Wednesday nights instead. And I could make two overnight oatmeals at a time and knock out two breakfasts, portable so I could eat at my desk if running behind.

Running after my toddler (sorry, he's 2) is definitely a different story than sitting at a desk. I'll have to take the long way, use bathroom on other floor, etc. I can add movement here and there. My office is near a mall, I could do some mall walking.

It seems like watching TV is a bad habit. I've been thinking about limiting it to weekends or maybe just once during the week and I got some pushes in that direction :) What else? Oh, my husband and I split the chores --- he does the morning chores/breakfast, loads dishwasher, laundry, etc.

THANK YOU! again to all who chimed in with good ideas and motivation! It was great things for me to think about differently. I'm going to think about how I can add many of the healthy habits mentioned. The bottom line is: Do the important things first!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I used to get up early but then never had energy in the evening to help my daughter with homework.

I joined the Y becuase the kids can get involved there. I go 3-4 days a week after work, so usually around 6 or 7. They go to child watch and I work out for an hour. Afterwards we go into the kids gym and play for a little bit.

I love youtube but haven't had a chance to work out at home much. Check out this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzVt3nKIQuM

I have 2 kids, I work full time plus I have 2 part time jobs. I use Sunday's to prep what I can to make life during the week easier. Cutting veggies and portioning everything.

Good luck to you!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    It seems like watching TV is a bad habit. I've been thinking about limiting it to weekends or maybe just once during the week and I got some pushes in that direction :) What else? Oh, my husband and I split the chores --- he does the morning chores/breakfast, loads dishwasher, laundry, etc.

Thank you for hearing that in the spirit I intended and not as a judgment! :) I've watched PLENTY of TV in my time and I still watch some pretty crappy shows (Finding Bigfoot, anyone?). It's just not as important as it used to be, and I think I'm happier for it. Everyone has to do what works best for them, and everyone needs chillin' out down time.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I see youve been back to check responses, and looks like a lot of great suggestions. I just wanted to chime in --

My son is 18 months old. I have found fitting in workouts to be a challenge as well. I have done a number of things and they all worked at the time. For example, I have gotten up at 4:45am three days a week to do workouts (either running or some other form), I have worked out after work before getting home (I have an hour commute so I would stop half way at a great walking/running path and get in 3-4 miles), and I have walked/run on my lunch at work (I get 30 minutes). Sometimes I have combined these methods to get the 5 workouts in I liked to get -- sometimes I have done exclusively one or the other. On occassion - as happens to all of us -- I have not gotten all 5. We roll with it.

I would encourage you to try a method, but not be afraid to change it up as the situation permits. I know all to well how very hard it is to manage (just about anything) with a toddler. As the weather gets better and the sun stays longer, I try to take my son in the stroller for walks and somtimes runs when I can. He lets me sometimes and sometimes he screams the whole way :grumble:

Bes tof luck.