How can I get my arms strong enough to do a push up?

Options
2»

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Try a daily practise of Iyengar or Ashtanga Yoga for a month and then see how many push-ups you can do. Exercising around the muscles needed to push-up will help strengthen the movement overall and give you a healthful routine for life.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Lay on your back, grabssomeweights, put your hands over your boobs, straighten your arms up, repeat
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    keep trying and one day soon you will surprise the hell out of yourself!!!!! i promise!!!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have been doing press ups on my knees, then just pushing my knees further and further back. I don't think the problem for me is arm strength. I just struggle to hold my body in the position, so core strength. So atm I am working on that. I would love to be able to do full press up!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but my suggestion is to work on the negative portion. Start in a push up position, up on your toes (not knees). Lower yourself to the ground slowly, put your knees down at that point and push yourself back up with your arms. Repeat x 10 (or whatever). Might sound silly, but it works great. Give it a go...
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying and it will happen, it was one of my major achievements of last year. I started off on the counter, then with knees down and it just progressed, took months tho... I was also doing weights which obviously helped to build arm strength.... good luck! If you never give up you will be able to do it :wink:
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In for more tips. I started with counter push-ups last year and am progressing (slowly) with knee push-ups (no stairs, alas). One day we will get there!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Bump - for all the great advice!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I had to build up push-ups very gradually after a shoulder injury. Here's my blog on the build-up that worked for me:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for a little over a week now, and I am trying so hard to improve in several areas, but I'm not seeing results when I attempt a pushup daily. I hold myself up for 60 seconds trying to go down as far as I can and then coming back up, but I'm not feeling the "after burn" that I would think I would have to tear muscles and build them back up. What types of exercises should I be doing and for how long so that I begin doing pushups?

Start by doing wall pushups. The closer your feet are to the wall the easier it is. Gradually move your feet further and further away as you get stronger. Next move to a counter and do push ups on the counter, same premise. The further away you move your feet the harder it gets. You'll be doing pushups in no time.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for a little over a week now, and I am trying so hard to improve in several areas, but I'm not seeing results when I attempt a pushup daily. I hold myself up for 60 seconds trying to go down as far as I can and then coming back up, but I'm not feeling the "after burn" that I would think I would have to tear muscles and build them back up. What types of exercises should I be doing and for how long so that I begin doing pushups?

Certainly, if you cannot do a push-up now, I would work (or train) to be able to do them. Starting with a simple bench press in an adaptation phase. Start with the Olympic bar only and do two sets of twenty reps (2 x 20). Twice a week is enough, and slowly add weight. In the adaptation phase of doing 2 x 20's, you don't want much weight at all. After your body has adapted, then add some small plates, lower the number to 2 x 10. Try and keep your hands at the same width you would use for a push-up. You could also do the same with the lat pull down machine at the gym and the tricep press using an adaptation phase of two or three weeks before increasing the weight.

This will slowly build up your ability to complete a push-up and then successive push-ups. If you don't have access to weights or a gym, you could adapt with doing push-ups with your knees on the floor and work your way up.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Start with modified-knee pushups. If those are too hard, back up to chair or counter top pushups. If those are too hard or you are rehabbing from a shoulder injury, start with wall pushups. All can be googled on YouTube for instructions on proper form, etc.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Be patient - Rome wasn't built in a day (or a week!)
  • VaTechM3
    Options
    I like the advice of working from an inclide and lowering that, but I'd also second the suggestion to work on the negative position.

Start at the top of your pushup (plan position) and lower yourself down keeping your core tight and back straight. Once you reach the bottom, drop your knees and push yourself back up and then repeat with your knees back off the ground in the starting plank position.

Good luck!
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bump - for all the great advice!

+1
  • Jacleepin
    Jacleepin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I will try the reps with some of these exercises when I workout today. Great people!:smile: