1200 calories

Options
So I went to my goal information, up until now MFP had me eating 1360 calories a day. All I did was put in the same information and now it dropped my calorie intake to 1200. I don't know if it's because it's taking my new information from my account into consideration(like the up in my activity level or that I now weigh 136.4 instead of 140). However, I see a lot of people saying that 1200 calories is way too low for anybody, and I don't want to put my body into starvation mode and not lose weight. I wasn't even expecting MFP to change my calories, I was just playing around because I'm still new and figuring everything out (I've been on here for just a few weeks).
I am female, 21 years old, 5'3", and I weigh 136.4lbs.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
What do you think I'd be better of doing? I feel like I messed everything up with messing with my goal/calories, but I didn't mean to.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    do you plan on eating your exercise calories back?
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Liz I weigh 204 and I am 5ft 8inches and the program sets my goal at 1200 daily calories (before I add exercise). I don't think it will put you into starvation mode to limit your intake to 1200 unless you exercise a lot and don't eat the new allowance of calories. Some eat their exercise calories and some don't. I think you need to figure out what works for you. I hope that helps.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    The calories drop when you lose weight.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming your goal is weight loss, correct? Based on your stats you could probably safely target 1300-1400 calories per day net (remember to eat back your exercise calories), and lose weight at a good sustainable rate for your size. What type of exercise are you doing? Strength training is best for maintaining lean body mass and maximizing fat burn. Free weights and heavy (heavy being a relative term), ideally, but even body weight exercises can do the trick.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    do you plan on eating your exercise calories back?

It depends on how late I work out.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The only way to be sure is to try it for a few weeks and see whether it works for you. Alternatively, you could stay where you are at with calories if you are happy with that and the progress you are making.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

that cant be true, cos when I lost 10lbs mfp put mine up by over 100 cals...that might be cos I'm near goal though? but I like it :)
    I'm 5ft 3" and I eat 1510 plus some exercise cals and still lose :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Seems strange.... a 160 calorie change for a 3.6 lb drop?

1360 calories a day.

1200. 136.4 instead of 140)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am 5"3.5' and 45 years old. When I got here a few years ago I was trying to lose that last 5 every 40 something wants to lose (have been living in India the last 5 months and gained weight back) and was at a stand still on 1200 per day. I upped it to 1400 and started losing again, then I upped it to 1500 and kept losing the same amount, so I decided there was never a reason to go back to 1200 again..

I am now back to trying to lose the weight I gained in India, I am set at 1500 per day and I am eating my exercise cals back and am losing. But I am 1. not in a big hurry and 2. know I would rather eat and be happy than hungry and miserable, I can not sustain life and happiness on 1200 per day, but that is me.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    MFP seems to give 1200 to most people, unless you are tall. I started like that but found it really hard and was miserable. Saw a lot of posts about eating more to lose, and was curious. I decided to up my cals to 1400 after I had stopped losing and started losing again. I think you could easily eat 1400 and lose and that is without exercise. I eat 1600 now do a bit of exercise (generally don't eat my exercise cals back) and I am still losing (very slowing mind you as I am practically at goal). Oh and I am only 5' 2".
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought that I don't often see represented on MFP when it comes to the 1200 cal battles I read...

If you are eating lots of raw or steamed veggies, selectively chosen low glycemic fruits (like cantaloupe), lean proteins (fish, shrimp, etc.) and high fiber carbs (like oats), you can eat a significant amount of food and have megarich nutrition, a controlled appetite, and a high energy level while being at 1200 and losing fat. I think most people who caution the 1200 cal bar aren't focused on high quality calories. You can't dose yourself with empty calories if your limit is 1200.

Just a thought...
  • SRivas2012
    Options
    Based on my experience, there's nothing wrong with 1200 as a goal. It takes alot of discipline, but with a smart approach to what you eat 1200 can be effective and satisfy your hunger. I eat my exercise calories therefore I actually consume 1300 to 1500 calories most days but always under 1200 net calories. There will be an inevitable plateau after some weeks which requires a change to diet and/or exercise routine. Good luck! :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I am 5"3.5' and 45 years old. When I got here a few years ago I was trying to lose that last 5 every 40 something wants to lose (have been living in India the last 5 months and gained weight back) and was at a stand still on 1200 per day. I upped it to 1400 and started losing again, then I upped it to 1500 and kept losing the same amount, so I decided there was never a reason to go back to 1200 again..

I am now back to trying to lose the weight I gained in India, I am set at 1500 per day and I am eating my exercise cals back and am losing. But I am 1. not in a big hurry and 2. know I would rather eat and be happy than hungry and miserable, I can not sustain life and happiness on 1200 per day, but that is me.

^^ this (I like it and agree completely!) :)