When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted Halloween photo's and this is what she posted of me and I thought it was a cruel sick joke.

16jmovc.jpg

Could not believe I let myself go that much. I had enough!
  • Rach_Stead
    Rach_Stead Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My Nan got type 2 diabetes, and I definitely don't want to get that, so figured it was time to lose weight in healthy way that I could sustain!
  • akillaah
    akillaah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine came from honestly, just wanting a better life. In order for my life to go in the direction I want it to go, all things need to be in order. I need to be healthy as a whole, in body mind and spirit. I realized though, the way to stick with it, is to find your reasons from a positive place. Every time I used negative feelings to justify my reasons for change, I'd fall off the wagon because the struggle of weightloss would be a constant reminder of how crappy my life had become and the torture I'm having to go through now was the consequences. If you don't enjoy the journey - you will never appreciate the point when you reach your goal..because the journey never ends. When you lose those 20, 50, 100lbs..you can't just go back to the old way of eating. So if you don't enjoy being healthy, then how will you ever stick with it? I have a totally different prospective on this weightloss thing - its not even that its a lifestyle change - its a change within yourself to be the best you can be in all aspects of your life :)
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and saw I need a change. I was 41" waist and was 238 lbs (May 2012). Now, I am 32" waist and my weight is 210 lbs. This website helped me with that. I look somewhat different now.
  • jeannie2596
    jeannie2596 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very interesting stories.

I am a woman of a certain age and didn't realize that along with that comes widening of hips and such, but I didn't really care or notice. But, when I saw the double chin developing in the mirror was when I started to take charge. I fell off the wagon during the holidays, but am now trying to get back on track.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I was tired of being tired! I was pissed that I was going to let an illness take over my life and one day I said enough is enough. My kids missed playing with me, I want more kids, I want to be healthy and beat whatever comes my way.
    I am always told I am a fighter as I am a cancer survivor but I felt like anything but a fighter.....that was not what I wanted to feel like.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I had been unhappy with my weight etc for quite some time, but the two things that really got me were:

1-One day my fiancé and I were getting ready to go out with another couple and I literally was in tears because I wasn't happy in a single thing I owned, and ended up wearing one of his oversized sweaters out instead of anything of my own

2-My brother decided to take the same journey, and I now had not only a workout buddy, but more so, the overwhelming desire to help my little brother on his own journey...

It had already been something that was in my mind, as my parents BOTH are diabetic (So its on BOTH sides of my family) plus I have my dad's bad knees...I have watched him go through three surgeries and finally a knee replacement, and would like to avoid that if I can...or at least put off as long as I can!
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    After gaining about 35 pounds during graduate school and my first year of working (and I've always been a little overweight), my Dad sat me down and had a very frank, but kind, discussion with me. He expressed his concerns about my weight impacting my health, and said something that continues to motivate me "You are such an intelligent, driven, funny young woman, and your outside doesn't match your inside."

My parents are great, but are not frequently very emotionally expressive in this way, so him saying that was a real walke up call for me.
  • kelso830
    kelso830 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    After my boyfriend was in a horrible car accident that critically injured him and killed his best friend (both age 25), I became an alcoholic and used food and booze to cope with the horrible loss of my friend, and entire change of life of my boyfriend. That was in May 2012. By January 2013, after a very slow and painful process, my boyfriend was slowly on the road to physical recovery, and I ended up catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I had, in that 8 month time span, become the highest weight I had ever been in my life. It scared me, because I didn't want to be the cause of my own death after just witnessing how cruel the world can be in taking young lives as it is. I wanted to live as healthy as I could and prosper and live a GOOD life, however short or long that life may end up being. That was when I started (slowly) making life changes.

In 2013, after focusing on my emotional & physical health and, above all my WELL BEING (therapy sessions, etc.), I lost 21 pounds-- it was the first year that I can remember as an adult that I actually LOST weight instead of gaining it. Now, here we are in 2014 and I am focusing on myself and my health more than I ever have! I have tucked away the scale, am working out every morning, and striving to make healthy choices day in and day out. I have a feeling 2014 is going to bring GREAT things!!! :smile:
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    i went on Vacation to Florida ( first Adult VACAY ever).. and for th first time I really looked at myself.. saw myself in a mirror.

I was smelling the beachy air.. feeling so wonderful.. and I thought to myself.. I'm done. I am done trapping myself in this body and depression. I am just done.

Sometimes, it just clicks unexpectedly.. Probably one of the most beautiful moments in my life.. not to sound corny.. but it was a huge moment.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My mom passed away at 63 from a peri-rectal abcess (caused by an ingrown hair) because her body could not fight the infection due to her diabetes and heart problems which were caused by being Obese her whole adult life.

I will accomplish my weightloss goals once and for all. My life is not half over at 31 years old!
  • kpace9009
    Options
    Christmas Day, just a few weeks ago. I had a miscarriage in October, and since then, I knew I had put on a few pounds (stress eating and depression eating). But when I stepped on the scale Christmas morning, I saw 241.8, so, basically, I weighed 242 pounds at 5 feet, 7 inches tall, 23 years old. I was suddenly just so sick of feeling fat. I work out and run all the time, but that wasn't the problem; I realized there was no way I could out-exercise or outrun a crappy diet. So, I started on Christmas Day, probably the worst day to start a new lifestyle plan (not diet--this is a lifestyle makeover). But I figured if I could make it through Christmas Day without consuming my usual 2,500 calories, I could do anything! I did, and since then I have eaten super clean (90% of the time) and drank lots of water. I even changed up my workouts a little bit, which helped too!

It is Day 17 of my "makeover," and I am down 16 pounds! I'm eating about 1,200-1,500 calories a day, much of that consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables. I feel fantastic already!!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I have yet another reason... made the mistake of taking a somewhat naked pic to track progress. Uggghhh!! Going to the gym RIGHT NOW!! If you need motivation, I suggest giving this a try....
  • Germany59
    Options
    When my fat pants were getting tight and the scale passed 190 lbs. ENOUGH! I'm starting today. Very excited.:drinker:
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I was/am hiding behind being fat. I was at war with myself for all of my life and I finally said it has to end. I decided 2014 would be the year to get healthy. Also seeing 275 on the scale and in disbelief I was only 25 pounds from 300.
  • Germany59
    Options
    Your 16 pound weight loss is amazing! Keep on keepin on.....
  • Delaaaaaa
    Options
    I just got so tired of being lazy and gaining weight. Im the biggest i ever been and i am not happy. Also, im more lonely now that im bigger, no guys want to really talk to me like they did before. Ultimately, i want to be happy in my own skin.
  • Deborah226
    Deborah226 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to start over once again for the past few weeks and eat healthier to lose weight once and for all. I went to Dress Barn today to buy myself a couple pairs of jeans to at least feel a bit better about myself while losing. I used to be a size 10/12 way back in the day before 3 children, after many years ended up size 18 in jeans….. Today I had to try on size 20, and was almost crying in the dressing room, as I tried them on and had to kinda face the music. I came out and asked the sales girl if they had a Short Length in one of the jeans that I liked, and she said she'd look for it.. I walked away to the other end of the store to look some more and she yells out, to me WHAT SIZE DID YOU NEED? My heart sunk, and I wanted to cry and run out of the store, thinking how rude of her but yet I had to face reality…How could I be in that size? How did this happen to me? I am almost 61 years old, and thinking I had better do something about this problem now! Feeling pretty sad and depressed now, but know starting now I need to stay motivated!
  • chelbug901
    chelbug901 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My last straw was my PVC's or Premature Ventricular Contractions, basically in plain English, an irregular heartbeat that started out of nowhere. I even had to go to the hospital! I literally woke up one morning and said, you know what, I am 22 years old, I am overweight, I am lazy, tired, and not treating my body the way it deserves to be treated. I also feel that I am going to have problems in the future with it, as well as problems I am having now, *hopefully* because of my weight that I am hoping to solve with weight loss. Gratefully, I have gotten my PVC's under control, I personally found out that I had an electrolyte imbalance, a few Gatorade's solved the problem completely, no thanks to the Doctor's! My advice for other's is to just get angry at yourself, especially those who find it hard to stick to it.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Sitting at a vacation spot watching my husband do the tour because I couldn't handle the stairs at 386 pounds. This was after not being able to get to the black beach in Hawaii (well I could get down to it but not back up to the car), or tour the battle ships because I couldn't do the ladders and fit through the locks (doors) and several other vacation things in several other places I either was too big for or just plain unable to do. You get the picture. I was 55 years old with very little mobiiity. So 2.5 years ago I had weight loss surgery. Not done losing yet but I can tell you that it has been the best thing I have ever done for myself!!