Working Moms?

Options

Replies

• shadrasmith
    shadrasmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Me!! Working singe mom here... with a toddler :tongue: New to fitnesspal and trying to make some friends :happy:
  • wnt2bhlthy2
    Options
    Hello!
    Working mom here. I just joined today and ready to start my journey. Y'all make me feel like a whimp!! I just have a 2 yr old son and a 33 yr old son. : ) I'll be friends!
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm also a working mom, 41 yrs old, working 50+ hours a week, with 3 kids (7 to 14) and a (helpful luckily) husband.

I lost 22 pounds in 3.5 months, by eating less/better, and very little workout. I do have an indoor bicycle and cycle on it 2-3 times a week, for45 minutes at 6 am. But that's it.

What I'm saying is, you CAN lose weight even if you don't have much time to work out!
  • mrsjasonpalermo
    Options
    My husband also has his own business, which excells in cold frigid temps - so right now he is not home as he is out fixing everyones broken pipes.
  • eilea73
    eilea73 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Meeee toooooo!!! 40-year-old mom with two teens (16 yo boy and 18 yo girl) here!

I commute 45 minutes one way to work 5 days a week at my full time job. Part of my weekends are usually spent at vendor shows and home parties (I have two direct sales businesses also). I have a hard time making time for the gym so I usually walk my dogs for exercise. However, I live in NEPA and HATE the cold!! Needless to say, exercise time has been a bit challenging lately.

I just joined a few days ago and would love to make some new friends!
  • reeny34
    reeny34 Posts: 72
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you.

I have two children aged 15 and 8 and a partner to look after.

Feel free to add me :happy:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My challenge is taking the time for myself when it isn't so late at night that I am so tired or so early in the morning that to most people it is the middle of the night. (I get up for work at 5:00).

Not sure how you're going to accomplish this without working out in the wee hours of the morning or late at night. I workout at 8:30 or 9pm after putting the kids to bed.
  • AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I am with you too, I work full time and have 2 kids. I recently went to working out of the house (40 hours a week) but before I had a 45 min commute each way, plus the time to pick up/drop off the kids at school so I know exactly how you feel. When I am being good and holding myself accountable I would always use my work lunch hour and just start walking/running. I changed in the restrooms and brought those body wipes to freshen up with afterwards. I also find when I add my kids into my activities it helps me stay focused. So on weekends and during the week after I pick them up from school we go ice skating, walk the dog, run, ride bikes, play basketball, etc. I figure every little bit helps. I also find if I do most my food prep on weekends, or do prepared in advance freezer/crock-pot meals that gives me back some time I would usually spend in the kitchen. I second/third/forth the Jillian Micheal's 30DS if we are being honest we can find 27 mins a day to do this and if you do it enough it will become a habit. My kids even do it with me and there have been times when I don't want to do it but they beg me to do it with them so I do. LOL

After multiple deaths in our families and a cross country move, my weight and blood pressure has started to move back up because I was not doing any of the above. I need to remind myself of the above and make time for me. :) I think that is really what we all have to do.
  • potatogirl741
    potatogirl741 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Same here. Full time working mom to an 8 month old. I am married but consider my self a part time single mom. My husband works in the oil industry and is gone 3 out of 4 weeks a month. Finding it REALLY hard to balance everything and really need some more MFP friends for support and motivation. Feel free to add me!
  • twinsmom1117
    twinsmom1117 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am also work full-time at a demanding job, have 4 year old twins, husband, house, and all that goes with it. With the new year I am trying to get better at carving out some time for myself to work out...and not feel guilty about it. I have started walking 4 miles on my lunch at least 4 days a week and I am going to try and get to the gym on the weekends. Most times I will try to find any excuse not to go because I am tired...but I need to stop doing that. Luckily my girls love the daycare there :-) Feel free to add me...I need all the motivation I can get!!
  • andonsmama
    Options
    I am also a full time working mom! after a 45 min commute both ways, working 8.5 hrs/day, and playing with my 4 yr old son, feeding him and getting ready for bed, I'm exhausted!!
    I could use the extra support from other working moms.

feel free to add me!
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm witcha! I'm married to a coach. I'm a teacher with a 45min commute each way. We have 6 kids and I'm in grad school.

I try to work out AS SOON as I get home. One thing that has helped is I will cook several meals on Sunday so we just have to heat. While it's heating, I can hit the treadmill.

Um... the Jillian 30 day shred knocks out a workout in 30 minutes.
    Shawn T has a Fast and Furious Insanity video that I can work in.

Mentally I really want to do 2 a days. Physically, I can't find the time/determination.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
  • mgj77
    mgj77 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also a working mom of two I have an older stepson who has blessed me with grandson and three step grandsons plus one on the way in May. My son is almost 15 My daughter is 9 I work full time also. I have a couple of houses I clean on the side for extra money. I also like crafting. Making coasters is my favorite project My son is very active in sports and my daughter takes piano lessons once a week and goes to a youth group every weds night So I feel your pain My problem also is being too tired and not having enough energy or time When I dont exercise I regret it I started the 3 Day Military diet today not going too bad I am not as hungry as I thought I would be I also got up this morning at 5am and did my Walking Away the Pounds 2 miles video and I also did some walking Trying to keep it up
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Me :) I have two jobs and a daughter who will be three on Friday. Work 12 hours a day four days a week so I do my exercise with her dog walking for 4 miles on Saturdays and Sundays and I do insanity when she's asleep. I find all the running round I do for her is some sort of work out too... Wonder how many calories being a mum of a toddler burns per day??? Lol
  • ChristyG1231
    Options
    Same here! Working mom who has a long commute each day and a 15 year old and a husband :) I'm in need of some working moms who get it, please feel free to add me
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Me :) I have two jobs and a daughter who will be three on Friday. Work 12 hours a day four days a week so I do my exercise with her dog walking for 4 miles on Saturdays and Sundays and I do insanity when she's asleep. I find all the running round I do for her is some sort of work out too... Wonder how many calories being a mum of a toddler burns per day??? Lol

You'd be surprised. I got a FitBit and can easily get my 10,000 steps in just from going up and down and around the house taking care of a 2.5 year old and 5 year old, plus just the steps to the car, to the office, to the bathroom, to the cafeteria at work. After I got my FitBit I raised my activity level on MFP from sedentary to lightly active and now have it at active, and I have a desk job!
  • heyma95
    heyma95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I too am a working mother of 4 with no significant other. I am new to this site (just joined this week). I do have a gym membership and a treadmill and some light weights at home. I understand about getting time for yourself. I find it hard to get to the gym at times, because someone needs to be taken here or there and I am the taxi driver.
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    Me too! I was not working for a while and it was SO much easier to fit in a workout.

I have to get up at 4:30 to exercise b/c I have an hour commute to and from work. I have a 17 and 15 year old. The 15 year old plays Varsity and Jr. Varsity basketball so there is a basketball game mostly every night and some on Saturdays. I then have support meetings I need to go to at least 2-3 times a week nightly so I am normally just beat and don't do it if I wait until night.

Anyway, working out in the morning is what works for me, although I am sleepy during the day at times!

You can friend me if you like. I would love the support from a busy mom as well!
  • LizaD1980
    LizaD1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    SO it's not easy to work and be a mom and wife...and fit in a workout!!!! But, having a treadmill in my living room helps, a lot. I have found waking up at 5am and running/ walking 3 miles is a great way to start the day!!!