Lean Cuisines

Options
Any advise or success stories by eating prepared meals? I know they're high in sodium, but I drink PLENTY of water and unsweet tea (black and green) all day long. I usually eat only one for lunch each day. Is this okay? I'm starting out, and they're very easy to put in the microwave and eat. I have very little time during the week to cook (I work 2 jobs and go to school). So this is very simple process..

I usually stay in about 1650 calories a day. (5'10, 255lbs, 28 years old, no health issues).

Replies

• professormudd1
    Options
    Whatever you find helps you get your calories in check....

In my opinion, prepating my own meals and weighing ingredients has proven helpful for me in determining proper portion sizes and calorie estimates for when I get to maintenance weight. Cooking low-cal is definitely a learning experience.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You're bound to get all kinds of advice on this. The clean eaters may advise any frozen meal is too much. Others will say eat anything as long as you stay under your calorie goal. I'd say one a day is fine, as long as you're keeping an eye on your overall sodium intake. If you're also eating in restaurants, the sodium will add up very quickly. Start where you're at. You don't have to do it "perfectly" (whatever that means) to make big improvements.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine if you don't have time to cook. It might be cheaper in the long run to make sandwiches or some soup for lunch. I have lean cuisines on occasion if I forgot my lunch and it never killed me!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I think these kinds of meals are a great starting point although I prefer the Smart Ones or Healthy Choice. Once you get used to the calories I suggest trying to make your own lunches but you can still use the pre-packaged as a backup plan. Good luck.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight I was 289 and 5'10". I needed the convenience foods to be able to stay on track with the time and budget and habits I had. I ate a lean cuisine almost every day and loved them. By using lean cuisines, oatmeal, and protein bar as meal staples with healthy snacks and balanced meals when I had time to make fresh stuff and knew what I was preparing, I was able to lose 100 lbs without seemingly much effort!!

I say do what you need. I would watch the sodium intake though on some of your other foods as you go.

And some people say the Lean Cuisines aren't enough food. I haven't had this problem but also find the ones I feel are a little heartier - like the pizzas. If you want, you can always add your own veggies to bulk it up!!

Good luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Any advise or success stories by eating prepared meals? I know they're high in sodium, but I drink PLENTY of water and unsweet tea (black and green) all day long. I usually eat only one for lunch each day. Is this okay? I'm starting out, and they're very easy to put in the microwave and eat. I have very little time during the week to cook (I work 2 jobs and go to school). So this is very simple process..

I usually stay in about 1650 calories a day. (5'10, 255lbs, 28 years old, no health issues).

You are a guy you should be eating a minimum of 1800 calories a day. I am a 41 year old woman who is 165 and 5 ft 7 and eat more then you do and I still lose weight.

As for the Lean cuisines eat 2 or 3 you can afford the calories...

I eat them...I will probably have one tonight for supper so I can have some popcorn and chocolate later tonight after my workout.

Or I might just have DQ chicken strip basket...see where I am going with this...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

You'll be fine. But I would suggest taking some time on the weekends and prepearing meals that are easy for you to grab and go during the week.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I started out using them but I quickly realized I could make my own meals that tasted much better for about the same amount of cals and less sodium
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One time I lost 80 lbs by eating a Lean Cuisine for dinner every night for 4 months. I gained it all back when I stopped eating Lean Cuisines. Just sayin'.
  • bease418
    bease418 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do Health Choice Cafe Streamers myself and have since Feb and did just fine. Since I prepare just about every thing else I eat, I dont worry about it. It kept me on track and I reached my goal easy. If you like and this work in your overall calor intake go with it. :)
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just ate a Lean Cuisine for lunch! My favorite- Thai style noodles with chicken, plus Sriracha.

Do whatever works for you!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone is different. I think having one each day is okay. Mine had 550mg sodium. Just watch your sodium intake throughout the day if you have any concerns.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen meals and have no issues with them. However I do find that I still feel hungry after eating one.
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat frozen meals for lunch almost every day! Have done it since I start losing weight and I've lost 65 lbs so far. I know they aren't the healthiest, but they are convenient, portion controled and I don't have the time to make lunch daily for myself. Feel free to friend me if you wanna see my food diary. Good luck!!
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I take them with me to work for lunch. They don't take up much space in the office freezer, they're quick to make, and I *try* to choose the lower-sodium ones. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not enough food and it doesn't taste good. I prefer preparing my own meals.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I normally eat the Michelina's Lean Gourmet meals. They work for me. :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    One time I lost 80 lbs by eating a Lean Cuisine for dinner every night for 4 months. I gained it all back when I stopped eating Lean Cuisines. Just sayin'.

:huh:
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with frozen meals, but I wouldn't recommend lean cuisines for one reason: BLEH.

:) I'd go for Amy's, stouffer's, or any other frozen meal. ( I avoid healthy choice; it's pretty bad.) The calories are really no different with regular, non-diet meals. For instance, I think the lean cuisine lasagna is around 320 calories and the stouffer's is 350. Plus I always supplement frozen meals with extra veggies.

If you happen to actually like lean cuisines though, go for it. :P
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

That wasn't because you just stopped eating Lean Cuisines. Just sayin'.
  • PeaceLoveTrees
    PeaceLoveTrees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of supporters on here but I have to say get away from this habit while you can. Prepared meals, especially frozen dinners are terrible for you, the nutritional value leaves a lot to be desired! I wouldn't make this a habit, maybe when you are super busy you could grab one, but I wouldn't eat it every day. Eating these meals isn't going to teach you anything about healthy choices, you have no idea what's in them! You need to make sandwiches, soup, salads for lunch and learn about the nutritional value in your foods and what to eat. Pay attention to those other trackers in your diary as well as the calories!

You don't have to cook a lot to make this happen by any means. You could do sandwiches, heck I'd even suggest canned soup over frozen meals (if you get the right brand), and salads are SUPER easy and quick to throw together. You could chop all your veggies on the weekend and put them into individual containers for the week. bam, done, and healthful AND nutritious.

The most important part of weight loss is making lifestyle changes that will become your routine and learning about your body and nutrition. If you aren't learning or adopting healthy habits you won't succeed long term.