For those wanting to lose over 150 lbs post here....

Options
If you are wanting to lose more than 150 lbs.... please post here...

I myself am looking to lose 181.2 lbs

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    been there. done that. did it with these tips:

I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.
  • lwcgrad
    lwcgrad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    it told me 1830 and i dropped it to 1750 for me.... so if i go over a little i am ok....
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Working, slowly, on losing a couple hundred.
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to lose around that much. Right now I'm taking more of the I'll know when I get there attitude as to the total number I want to lose.

Please feel free to add me if you're looking for support or motivation.
  • Nospingirl
    Nospingirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I want to lose over 150 pounds and have to really take it slow. I will be happy to reach my goal of 5 pounds by February 14. I used to want it to all be gone quickly but realized how unrealistic it staying off afterwards would be, so I am needed support to take it slow, reduce 10 calories or 15 calories a day. It adds up like money in the bank. A great resource is Lean Wallet, Lean Body by Ellie Kay.
  • Nospingirl
    Nospingirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion. Really try to stick to the plan. I know what you are trying to do, but it shouldn't be okay to go over.
  • lwcgrad
    Options
    well i set the plan for wanting to lose 2 pounds a week, then i dropped the calories 80 less than it suggested.... going to shoot for that amount every day
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do! I've already lost 32, 168 to go!

Currently I am at 1500 Cals a day. I plan to up my cals once I get under 300lbs to 1800 a day. I need to get under 300 in the hopes of reducing the pain on my injured foot.
  • cnb165
    cnb165 Posts: 9
    Options
    Anyone can add me, I too have over 150 to lose.
  • iTStaRTsN0W
    Options
    I am looking to lose 160 lbs. Maybe more depending on how I feel when I get to my goal.

Right now, I am going to focus on losing the first 60!!

I have made a chart, and for every pound I lose, I will X out each pound, until I reach 0.
  • lwcgrad
    Options
    I am going to break mine down into 20s and when i get to each 20 im going to celebrate or reward myself, but not sure how.... first one tho is going to be 21.2 so that it is even after that....
  • jwaters1006
    jwaters1006 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My first goal is 35.6 pounds (brings me to a nice even number). From there I plan on going in 20 or 30 pound intervals. :)
  • metalheadbetty
    Options
    Looking to lose over 150 lbs! I am welcome all new friends!!
  • yhwhsesther
    yhwhsesther Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have at least 100 to loose. i havent been faithful in working on it... I started at 450 lbs+ ( the last scale i was on at my biggest , probly was heavier) cant wait to finally hit my gaols . add me message me if you have skype or paltalk email and need encouragement let me know :) we can do this together!!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.

^^ Read ALL of this and follow it. He really knows what he's doing.
  • gabbylola123
    Options
    I have lost 102 lbs so far. I want to lose 70 more. We can do this guys! Portions and working out will get the job done!
  • Grae1968
    Options

3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable to stay on.

Brilliant, thanks for posting, and congrats on your fabulous accomplishment! :flowerforyou:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to lose at least 120 pounds. That will get me just into the "healthy BMI" range. After that, I'd like to lose 20-25 more. Anyone who is serious can add me.
  • Grae1968
    Options
    Oh, and I still need to lose another 75 pounds (maybe more, we'll see when I get there) so happy to have more MFP buddies to help support and be supported along the way- add me if you like :smile:
  • djstatick
    djstatick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was said by the first person who responded. I weighed as much as 475 lbs at my heaviest. I dropped all the way down to 303 lbs in 1 year through a strict 1800 K/Cal daily diet and hours of intense exercise daily. However, once I went back to a "normal" existence (eating around 2500 K/Cal daily) and working out 2-3 times a week, I gained a bunch of it back (almost all of it). Due to my original attempt and doing it so wrongly, I've jacked my metabolism pretty bad and it's made losing the weight the right way all the more difficult. So, yeah, go slow... be realistic... and good luck! I've got about 150 lbs to go myself.