Scared? GOOD.

Options
At the request of a friend, I’m adapting and reposting my response from another thread of mine. His hope is that it will resonate with someone out there, and encourage you to venture beyond your own notion of what you’re capable of, and come away with a win. I share that optimism. Mostly.

If your quest to improve your health and fitness has been underway for a few weeks, even if you’re brand new you might have already bumped up against your first self-imposed barrier, a slight discomfort at the thought of doing something. Maybe you shied away from that thing. Maybe you were so lightening quick on the draw with a perfectly justifiable—no really! perfectly justifiable—reason for backing down, you never even knew you made an excuse. The next time you feel that apprehension, I hope you’ll recognize it as a signal, that to proceed in spite of it is the beginning of real transformation into something heroic.

Last year, the moment I crossed that invisible line in the gym to lift weights was terrifying. I was the dumpy, middle-aged mommy who had been getting in my own way for years. I was a throwaway, in my mind. Not even worth ridiculing. I was a monument to unrealized potential, paralyzed by fear of failure, and of success. The day of my decision I woke up in the 3 ‘o clock hour freaking about it. I MFP forumed about it. I put my husband through a worse version of this:
2hf5j83.gif

And then, trembling, fumbling, I did it.

My life has been absolutely transformed by that moment, that one decision. I was manic for the next several days. Then over the next year I began to test my capabilities in other arenas of my life, and soon found a love of moving that self-set limitation farther and farther away, until I just don't think about limits anymore. This has completely revived my career, made me a better partner to my husband, a better mother, daughter, friend. Now, I only think of what I want to do next, come up with a plan to get there, and execute. No wolves at my heels, no meanies in my head. If there are real people making fun of what I do, *squint, shrug* I can't see 'em from up here.

And it all started with a squat rack and a little girl who didn't want to be comfortable in her safe-bet life anymore.

When you have that moment, the first thing you want to do is make sure every other person on the planet gets to have theirs. Even and I’d venture especially, someone taking those first steps. So that’s why I hope you stay scared. Making sure you have a supportive environment is great, but don’t insulate yourself from all fear and discomfort. Don’t shield yourself from doing whatever that thing is, because passing through those cobwebs in your face will get you to the place where success lives. Don’t miss your chance to be terrified, and do it anyway.

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    At the request of a friend, I’m adapting and reposting my response from another thread of mine. His hope is that it will resonate with someone out there, and encourage you to venture beyond your own notion of what you’re capable of, and come away with a win. I share that optimism. Mostly.

If your quest to improve your health and fitness has been underway for a few weeks, even if you’re brand new you might have already bumped up against your first self-imposed barrier, a slight discomfort at the thought of doing something. Maybe you shied away from that thing. Maybe you were so lightening quick on the draw with a perfectly justifiable—no really! perfectly justifiable—reason for backing down, you never even knew you made an excuse. The next time you feel that apprehension, I hope you’ll recognize it as a signal, that to proceed in spite of it is the beginning of real transformation into something heroic.

Last year, the moment I crossed that invisible line in the gym to lift weights was terrifying. I was the dumpy, middle-aged mommy who had been getting in my own way for years. I was a throwaway, in my mind. Not even worth ridiculing. I was a monument to unrealized potential, paralyzed by fear of failure, and of success. The day of my decision I woke up in the 3 ‘o clock hour freaking about it. I MFP forumed about it. I put my husband through a worse version of this:
    2hf5j83.gif

My life has been absolutely transformed by that moment, that one decision. I was manic for the next several days. Then over the next year I began to test my capabilities in other arenas of my life, and soon found a love of moving that self-set limitation farther and farther away, until I just don't think about limits anymore. This has completely revived my career, made me a better partner to my husband, a better mother, daughter, friend. Now, I only think of what I want to do next, come up with a plan to get there, and execute. No wolves at my heels, no meanies in my head. If there are real people making fun of what I do, *squint, shrug* I can't see 'em from up here.

And it all started with a squat rack and a little girl who didn't want to be comfortable in her safe-bet life anymore.

When you have that moment, the first thing you want to do is make sure every other person on the planet gets to have theirs. Even and I’d venture especially, someone taking those first steps. So that’s why I hope you stay scared. Making sure you have a supportive environment is great, but don’t insulate yourself from all fear and discomfort. Don’t shield yourself from doing whatever that thing is, because passing through those cobwebs in your face will get you to the place where success lives. Don’t miss your chance to be terrified, and do it anyway.

You are awesome.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. I am dreaming the impossible right now, and even if I don't get there, I know I will go somewhere amazing.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just gotta charge through and do it. Less people are watching and even less caring than you think.

I was voted most bashful senior year. Today, I'm the one saying good morning to everyone I meet. You gotta get out of your comfort zone. You're not going to die from it.

As my boss always says: FAKE IT 'TIL YOU MAKE IT. Perform the action until it becomes natural.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

2hf5j83.gif

YOu did a great job, congrats!

but I have to crack a smile at that Saved by the Bell gif when she's getting all stupid singing that song because she's taking stay awake drugs to be perfect...... lol!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I love this :heart:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Nothing for me to add. Awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    74999-Stifler-yes-that-is-awesome-gi-7EYR.gif
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I hope it resonates with a few people. If this whole "thing" were trivially easy, we would feel no pride when we accomplish it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You continue to be an awesome and inspirational person. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic read. Thank you and congrats on your limitless new life!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    So. Much. Awesome.

:love:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This post. This post. A hundred times, this post.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So true! And very well put in to words. :flowerforyou:
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Why can't we upvote threads like this? This is good stuff.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Why can't we upvote threads like this? This is good stuff.

• NoEyePi
    Options
    Great post on Nerd Fitness about making changes in your life.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/06/why-you-should-level-up-and-how-to-crush-2014/
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    It seems like a huge scary cliff and it's just a tiny little podium; once you're off that, you can go absolutely anywhere.
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    This is phenomenal and I'm so glad you shared. My biggest issue with getting in the gym was that imaginary line also, as well as the sort of culture that exists in a gym where those who are already fit get free reign of things. It's highly possible that I made this up in my imagination because I was so scared for so long to take my next step in my fitness, but at the end of the day you've gotta do what's best for you regardless of the surroundings. When I first started running, I watched a guy laugh at me (yep- laughed at me) as we passed one another going in opposite directions. I wanted to stop and crawl in a hole and cry. But what kept me going was reminding myself that I can get in shape over time, but ***hole is forever. ;)

Congratulations on your success!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Very eloquently put and very true!!!!

Take this gift basket as a sign of my appreciation of your awesomeness!

the-gif-basket.gif
  • x_cinder_x
    x_cinder_x Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Love this.