Body Media Fit VERSUS Fitbit

Options
Hi there,

I have had my Body Media Fit for a while but have just started using it regularly. My daughter recently got a Fitbit for Christmas. Her Fitbit seems to go into more detail with some of the fitness information. For example. Fitbit will not only tell her how many hours she laid down but it will tell her when she was restless in her sleep, when she woke up during the night and let her know how long she actually slept throughout the night. My Body Media Fit will tell me (and show me) when I was asleep, when I woke up during the night and how long I was lying down. It will not give info on restlessness.

Sooooo, my question is this. If you have had an experience with BOTH devices, which one would you prefer and why? If you've only had an experience with one of them please tell me which one and what you like about it. Maybe I'm not getting the most out of mine and it is a better tool. Maybe Fitbit is better. Maybe they are both great tools to use and the differences are minor. Any data from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've had both and prefer the Fitbit but I never cared much about the sleep data. I wouldn't read too much into the 'restless' category. They're both just making guesses at what you're doing based on how much you move.

To me, they're very similar in output but the Fitbit wins because it's tiny, discrete, cheap, free (month to month), has bluetooth synch, has a display, has 'chatter' (Fitbit one), has a vibration alarm (Fitbit One) and it doesn't touch my skin.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I used the BodyMedia Core for a year last year, and now I have the FitBit One. There are pros and cons to everything.

When you mentioned tracking sleep, I believe "restlessness" from a FitBit and "lying down" from BodyMedia are the same features with different names. The only sleep difference I noticed is that FitBit directly tells you how many minutes it took you to originally fall asleep, whereas the BodyMedia doesn't necessarily tell you that information.

I like the BodyMedia because it is the most accurate in tracking all exercise, all burnt calories, etc. Plus it won't fall off. I dislike it because of the monthly subscription, ugly armband, and needing the Display to see updated data (without syncing online).

I like the FitBit One because it fits in my pocket, has no subscription fee, and has cute badges to earn. I dislike the FitBit One because it's so easy to lose, is annoying to track sleep (have to move it into the wristband), and cannot sync to my Android (FitBit only supports a few phones).

I'm at the point in my health journey where I just want to monitor my steps and have a device to track it. I don't necessarily want a huge armband anymore. I personally recommend starting with the BodyMedia to get much more accurate information to lose weight and then move to the FitBit when you just want a pedometer to maintain your weight.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!