Minimum calories men can take

Options
Hello, i am new on here was wondering what the minimum calories i should be taking, want to loose weight fast. I go gym up to 5 times a week and can loose anything from 200-500 calories a day there. Thanks

Replies

• DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site man. Use this and eat inbetween bmr and tdee :)

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy vs healthy?
    TDEE - BRM vs you could just eat under your TDEE
    Or you could eat 1200 - 1500.. try that and if you do not see the weight comming off drop the calories
  • sweetgeorgiabee
    sweetgeorgiabee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Since you're a male, stay between 1500-1800 calories... the lower the better. Women can go as low as 1200 but I think that might be a little too low for an active male. Best wishes!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy vs healthy?
    Or you could eat 1200 - 1500.. try that and if you do not see the weight comming off drop the calories

This is probably the worst advice I have seen on MFP....No adult male should ever eat 1200 calories ......OP, work out what your tdee is and eat 500 calories less than that....
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! Type in your goals and stats in MFP and voila, It should give you a good idea. If you want to go crazy set the 2 pound/ week loss but its not sustainable. By the way I think you are going to lose weight not going to want it loose.

ETA- fix my own damn grammar issues :sad:
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    OP, work out what your tdee is and eat 500 calories less than that....

I second this.

IMO slow and steady wins the race. I don't know how fast you intend the weight to come off, but as they say "you didn't gain it all in a day/week/month, you won't lose it in a day/week/month". I would suggest you aim for 1-2 lbs a week. Learn healthy eating and exercise habits and you will be able to maintain your weight loss in the long run.

Good Luck on your journey! Feel free to send me a FR if you'd like. =)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hello, i am new on here was wondering what the minimum calories i should be taking, want to loose weight fast. I go gym up to 5 times a week and can loose anything from 200-500 calories a day there. Thanks

There is no set answer. If you have 100 pounds to lose, you could (with appropriate supervision) do just fine eating literally zero calories for a few months.

How much fat do you have to lose? What is your target weight/body fat %?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Type your numbers into MFP and it'll give you the number then eat your exercise calories back
  • OlyTriNoob
    Options
    Unhealthy vs healthy?

This is probably the worst advice I have seen on MFP....No adult male should ever eat 1200 calories ......OP, work out what your tdee is and eat 500 calories less than that....

What about a 60-year-old 5'0", 130lbs sedentary adult male?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

There is no set answer. If you have 100 pounds to lose, you could (with appropriate supervision) do just fine eating literally zero calories for a few months.

How much fat do you have to lose? What is your target weight/body fat %?

Not really, as doing so would give you absolutely zero nutrients and your body cannot get every nutrient it needs from fat alone. Yes, you can do a LBM-sparing VLCD (preferably with supervision), but there's a big difference between a VLCD and eating absolutely nothing. For the average bro on MFP though, I wouldn't recommend they dive right into a VLCD, particularly if their only reason for it is they're impatient.
  • Purplevelvetww
    Options
    From one guy to another, trust me, you do not want to have a very low calorie deficit for any extended period of time. Even MFP recommendations are a bit lower than they ought to be for males.

It's not a race, mate. Take your time. Do things the right way. No need to rush.

I'm NOT AN EXPERT, but from personal experience and time spent losing weight and encouraging others it's MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION that no man should be eating under 1600 calories. If you're working out regularly you'll want to eat even more than that.

I totally agree, never under 1600 calories for a man even if there's no work out. You could appear to force the issue for a short time, but it's not only unsustainable and unhealthy, you'd be wasting your time. If you aim to lose up to 2 pounds per week, you'll have more control overall, less chance of illness or injury, and you can keep your eye on the goal. All the best :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to eat just the minimum you can eat without negative consequences when you can eat a decent amount, not be miserable and still lose weight?!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to eat just the minimum you can eat without negative consequences when you can eat a decent amount, not be miserable and still lose weight?!

For better or worse, the "why" is for rapid fat loss and there are times when arguably that's the appropriate approach. I don't think it's appropriate if you just want to expedite your weight loss due to impatience or instant gratification.
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I was eating 1500 cals for a few weeks but constantly felt hungry, so I have now upped it to 1700 which is 200 cal less than my TDEE as I want to lose about a stone to get to my target weight.
  • Numannhaque
    Numannhaque Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for the advice, wasn't expecting so many replies, i will stick to 1500-1800 calories and see how it goes.