Any success stories without weighing food

Options

Replies

• Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh since November. I lost 41 lbs without weighing, and only occasionally measuring. I find weighing food much easier than measuring. For instance, if I'm making my oatmeal, I can just stick the pot on the scale, hit tare, add the oatmeal, hit tare, and then add each additional ingredient. I think the accuracy is helpful and like I said, way easier than getting a bunch of spoons and cups dirty.

I don't weigh, or in some cases really count, spices. but veggies and fruit as well as anything not pre-portioned (like individual bagels) I will weigh.

Its pretty easy though, and I don't think it makes me obsessive.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I didn't see success until I started weighing and measuring. However, I learned what these weighed and measured portions look like and can now eyeball it. It's a good learning experience. I recommend weighing and measuring until you're comfortable with knowing what a portion looks and feels like. :)

QFT
  • 1871farmhouse
    1871farmhouse Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have lost 57lbs and I don't weigh my food...does seem a little obsessive!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I weigh/measure my food. It does feel a little obsessive, but it's the only way to actually know how much you're eating. It's way too easy to underestimate the amount of food you're eating, which defeats the purpose of trying to eat less/counting calories. That said, I don't measure everything. I estimate vegetables because if I'm eating more than the portion size, I don't think of it as a bad thing. They're low enough in calories that it doesn't really matter to me. I also make the majority of my meals from scratch, so serving sizes are estimated a little. But everything I put into the meals gets measured. Once you get used to measuring it isn't such a big deal, just like logging calories is a hassle at first but becomes second nature after a while.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I didn't see success until I started weighing and measuring. However, I learned what these weighed and measured portions look like and can now eyeball it. It's a good learning experience. I recommend weighing and measuring until you're comfortable with knowing what a portion looks and feels like. :)

This!^

Absolutely start out by measuring in some form............I'm terrible at eye-balling & I cook! There are a few tricks. I use 1 cup and 2 cup ziplock bowls for packing lunches. I use a coffee scoop (2 TBL) for salad dressing.

At the very least look up a portion size guide and learn it. Here's one:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/wallet-portion-control-size-guide
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds without ever weighing a thing. I ate a lot of pre packaged/frozen stuff at first and otherwise just ate smart. I put things on smaller plates, I ate more vegetables, I ate less high fat food like ice cream, and I drank less liquor.

I counted here and there but that was just to get a guesstimate of what I was eating and keep going, adjust as necessary.

I just got a food scale for Christmas. I don't always mind weighing/measuring but sometimes when I'm preparing my lunch or dinner I just want to eat my damn food without worrying. YOu CAN totally lose weight without it. I've found the smaller I get (i have about 30 pounds to lose) the harder it is to lsoe, therefore the more accurate I need to be.

When I lost the first 100, just being sensible, eating less and moving more was enough for me!
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Never weigh my food, never weigh myself either. The only time I use a scale is to weigh outgoing packages at work so I can accurately calculate the postage :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have been reading A LOT of posts on MFP lately and was wondering if there are any success stories of members who didn't weigh their food. I realize there are many who do and swear by it, but for me it just seems a little obsessive. I suppose if it seems that it is absolutely necessary then I could start but.......

I have quite a bit of weight to lose (shooting for about 75 pounds but probably should lose 100) and have heard that the weighing of food is good if you have a smaller amount to lose or you have hit a plateau. I have lost approximately 17 pounds since middle of October but I believe most of this is because I have cut out soda and tried to be more cognizant of what I am eating. I am also trying to walk at least 45 minutes a day, but most of the time getting at least 60 minutes. I tend to eat the same things daily, like salad (cheese, lettuce, tomatoes), eggs, bacon, English muffin, sometimes grilled chicken breast, hamburger, steak, sometimes baked potatoes (which I love). I also eat lean cuisine meals at work for dinner. I am a very picky eater as far as taste and have a limited "pantry" as which to pick from or I will just give up. I keep a paper food journal but have been keeping my calories between 1300-1500 daily for the most part (uhhh...except for Christmas). I originally was trying to keep it below 1200 but realized after reading numerous posts that this is too low.

Thanks for any responses.

It is 1200 plus exercise calories. For example when I started MFP set me up on 1200. I breastfed= +600 a day plus 300 a day for exercise...... I was eating a total of around 2100 calories a day ( NET 1200)

I didn't buy a scale. I did count out the chips or pretzels until I got a general idea of how many handfulls it equaled.... and anything dry was measured by cups. I figured all food by whatever item had the highest calorie count that matched what I ate unless I had the lable in front of me..... Over estimated the calories and underestimated the exercise. ---

You can make it work without weighing EXACTLY everything. but make sure you log everything as accurately as possible...... and be careful with the lables some companies will call 1/2 a pot pie a serving instead of the whole pie in there ( why not just double the number when they know you are not going to stop at 1/2 a pie- or make the thing smaller???) or Hot Pockets that are one to a serving when there are two in a box.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I am interested in a full lifestyle change, so I do not weigh my food. I have been advised against this. What happens when I take the year-long trip on the road that my bf and I are planning and I don't have access to a scale, and I have to travel only with what will fit in my back pack. I have to learn how much to eat simply by reading my own body and maybe doing rough measurements with the palm of my hand or fist. You *do not* need to weigh your food to lose weight, but you do need to be realistic and honest about the quantity of food you eat all day. I can see how weighing helps a lot of people be realistic and honest.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    my opinion on this is that if you want to weigh your body to decide your success, you will need to weigh your food
    how else will know how many calories there are in it?

I know you said it seems obsessive, but sometimes weighing is better as you know exactly what you have eaten and you can be more certian about fitting in treats etc.
  • craziwrld
    craziwrld Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food or count calories. My main focus is eating better proportions and making healthier choices. I have lost 24lbs in the past 11.4 weeks. If I want something I still eat it. I still get McDonalds, I just get a grilled wrap and only eat half of it, and get a yogurt parfait, then steal a few of my husband's fries lol. Or if I want a cookie, I only eat 1 and make sure I close and put the pack away before I eat it lol.i have had good weeks and and bad weeks, but I am trying to make a life change for myself. And I know that I'm not going to weigh or count calories my entire life, so I don't want to become dependent on it unless I have to. Now I'm not saying people that do it are wrong, I just know myself and my tendencies and what works best for me.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I weigh only a few things and when its convenient. Rest is eyeball and guesswork. Maybe i will start weighing accurately if i stall or gain weight!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure my food BUT I also have a really good awareness of what the proper amount is (eyeballing). Some people are great at this, others aren't. You can be successful if you are only a little bit off, but you need to be reasonable. I would recommend to everyone to measure and weigh out the things you usually eat just once to see what it actually looks like. Once the shock wears off (Have you ever seen an ounce of cheese? It's heartbreaking.) you will be able to make better decisions going forward.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I weighed at the beginning to get a good idea of what is considered a regular portion size, based on the packaging, because I ate huge quantities of food.

But I no longer weigh my food. I really hate the phrase, but it's a 'lifestyle choice' and I can't weigh every morsel for the rest of my life. I do not see family members and friends weighing their food to maintain their healthy weight.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh anything, but I do measure with measuring cups and spoons. I don't measure everything, but I still lost 20 pounds in four months.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person.

I know that I like to sneak food. A little extra bite here and there can really add up. I weigh EVERYTHING (even my protein powder) because I know if I don't, I'll grab an extra spoonful or two out of the container and eat my deficit away.

Other people aren't like that, and do fine without a scale. You can always try without...if you find yourself stalling or losing slower than expected, then it is probably time for a scale.

Interesting that you should mention protein powder. When I got my scale, I found out I was shortchanging myself on that! One scoop did NOT equal 30 g - more like 20 to 25 grams. Now, when I measure out my protein powder, I know I am getting the right amount.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Another note-you can't always trust pre-packaged food. For instance, one of the containers of cookies I got was such and such calories for one cookie, and then it listed in grams what that cookie should weigh to meet that calorie amount. Many times, one cookie will weigh more than that and I'm actually eating more calories than the package says I should be.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I've never weighed my food. I need to eat in a way I can eat for the rest of my life and I'll be damned if I'm going to weigh my food out at every meal. Some people need the hard discipline of knowing exactly what they're eating, so weighing food can be very helpful for them. It's just not a strategy I want to use. Just eating sensibly has worked for me.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You don't have to weight your food if you don't want to, just as much as you don't need to weight yourself to actually notice that you've lost weight. It's just easier to understand if you're eating too much/not enough by weighing your food and estimating calories. When I'm not couting calories I can eat up to 3000 kcals without even noticing! If I was able to actually limit myself without counting calories I probably wouldn't still do that. But it's very hard for me to eat less or eat at manteinance without actually tracking my intake. It might obviously work for you, but you might also step into something that happens very often to people who are dieting without counting calories, which is undereating.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!