This made me proud, i hope it helps someone.

Options
I'm a fast food junkie, majorly. we hardly ever actual grocery shop unless its quick meals. (i.e. cans of spaghetti and meatballs, bread, sandwich stuff, snack cakes) Im making a lifestyle change for myself, and i'm not forcing my boyfriend or roommate to partake in it, although i appreciate when they're eating cookies that they don't offer me one. :) The other morning I woke up in time to stop and get something to eat on my way to work. As I'm driving towards a McDonalds, because i have been longing for a McGriddle, this little voice chimes in in my head. I start thinking about how small a McGriddle is, but thinking, I guarantee it has at least 500 calories in it! That's 1/3 of my daily calorie allowance, so I KEPT DRIVING!! I work at a grocery store, i went in bought me a box of special K cereal bars and ate HALF of one of those. I was so proud of myself for passing up 500 calories for a small 45. :) This is an example of how dedicated I am. I hope someone else will read this and pass up their McDonalds next time too. :)

Replies

• TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    That is awesome girl!!! True dedication and proof that you are doing the work!!! :o)
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great job!! It's the little victories like that that set us up for success :) Keep up the good work!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of you too! That's awesome:drinker:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Good job! I change lanes so I am not tempted to swing right into the fast foods that tempt me! So Cal traffic prevents me from changing back at the last second LOL
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Good on you for passing up McDonalds but remember one other thing, breakfast should be 1/3 of your daily calories!!!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    i get the "convenience" thing. fast food. instant mashed potatoes (i'm sure my mother is clinching her chest right now), frozen pre-shaped cookies. that's cooking in my book.

i am on the road a lot and breakfast and lunch are usually from a drive-thru window. here is a committment i made to myself, if it isn't from home, it's from subway. their egg white western WITH cheese on the wheat muffin is 1/2 the cal AND cost of an egg mcmuffin! i usually just pick up my 6" for lunch while i'm there as well.

now i'm sure somebody will comment that while low cal/fat choices at subway, they still have high sodium. well, maybe but it's better than a quarter pounder when i am not one to spend the time to pack from home (by choice).

i also chant "save money! lose weight!" when i drive BY the drive THRU and actually choose to go home and cook! :laugh:
  • Rjperron
    Rjperron Posts: 150
    Options
    Awesome job! I did the same thing when my boyfriend begged for McDs for lunch...got myself a Smart Ones and didn't have a single fry!
  • fit_nyc
    Options
    Way to go! I'm often in the same boat, and I've found that Trader Joe's offers a lot of quick, healthy, and tasty options.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Good for you, girl! I'm very proud of you!

Do a little research on things you can eat if you find yourself at a McDonalds. Their premium salads are good (I love the Southwestern w/o dressing) and on the days that I feel like eating a little more fatty, I opt for the chicken nuggets (10 is fewer than 500 calories, and for me, is quite filling). For breakfast, I make myself an egg mcmuffin using a whole wheat english muffin, but if I'm in a rush and need to stop at McD, I get the egg mcmuffin w/o the meat and eat only 1/2 the bread (just take away the top/bottom) and you have yourself a good little breakfast. Drink some water or a diet soft drink as well.

My trainer once told me that if you must eat fast food, it's all about making BETTER bad choices. I got a kick out of that, but it's SO true!!! :o)