Trying to lose weight at 47

Options
Hi - New to MFP. I'm counting calories and exercising like a fiend, but the weight just does not want to come off! I stepped on the scale this morning and found out I haven't lost any weight this past week. So frustrating! I've got a lot of weight to lose (80 or so pounds), so the slow pace just makes the goal seem that much farther away. Glad I found MFP.

Replies

• Pbran21
    Options
    Hello, I am also 47 and have or would like to loose 100 lbs. I know how hard it will be. when the scale does not move you have to stay with the diet it will move again. I write down everything I eat that helps a little. Have a good day
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and started with about the same amount to lose. Instead of looking at the long-term goal only, try to set mini goals. Mine tend to be round numbers. Started at 236, 230 was my first goal, then 220, etc. Almost to 210 now, so I'm getting there slowly but surely. Each time I hit a round number, though, it feels like a small victory. :) Feel free to add me if you'd like. I try to be supportive and comment on statuses and such, and I enjoy having other friends who do the same. Either way, good luck on your journey; and remember, baby steps! :)
  • Maisylouise2
    Maisylouise2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome to a new you! I started mfp when my husband was in the hospital last summer for open heart surgery. Listen - be diligent and the weight WILL come off!!! We follow a heart healthy ( low fat/ low salt) lifestyle here and we.'ve both lost about 35 lbs. we are at that age where watching your input is crucial. I will be 50 this year. You can do this successfully. Monitor everything you put in your mouth. Mfp really helps with the salt & fat intake. I had no idea how much sodium I was ingesting - it's everywhere! For the first time in my adult life, I had no swollen ankles last summer. So good luck! Stick with mfp & be truthful with yourself.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    It's not your age.

Buy a $20 food scale and weigh and measure everything you eat for a month. Study your Food Diary and make adjustments if needed.

It's about accuracy.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    maybe I have just been lucky but I havent found my age to be an issue with regards to losing weight. of course, I never tried before. I have lost almost 100 pounds in a little over a year. I eat around 1700 + anything I exercise (using a HRM) Yes, my weight loss has slowed considerable now that I am around 155, but I am ok with that.

dont use our age as an excuse.