Half way there (pics)

Options
Starting weight: 258
Current weight: 207
Goal Weight: 158

Lengthy post: feel free to skip to the pics!

I’ve been overweight my whole life, or at least since puberty. I lost weight once before, toward the end of college/beginning of grad school. It didn’t last. I met my husband, and went right back to gaining weight. It didn’t stop, and it certainly wasn’t going to stop unless I took deliberate action. I am a food addict. I love food, and I love to stuff my face to the point that my stomach hurts from being so full.

How I was at 258: Typical work day~~~ I would stop by the gas station on the way to work and get one of their delicious sausage rolls, and a chocolate milk to wash it down. I would snack on the assorted chocolates and skittles I kept in my desk drawer. Then for lunch I’d splurge on sonic. Love the cheeseburger with MAYO! Lots of it! Tater tots, of course, and a large coke, then, because I was a fatty, I might get an order of chicken bites with extra ranch for good measure. I’d continue snacking at work, then come home, eat a large dinner (hamburger helper and the like), and then make some chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

I did work out at this time. Not always consistently, but I was a 258lb runner, and bicycler, and boot camper. I like to be active and I have been for years, but I was completely unwilling to change my eating habits. I just loved food too much. I didn’t lose a pound, even during the times I was exercising very regularly.

Unfortunate truth: You will not lose weight without changing your diet. Period.

I joined MFP in May of 2012, after having quit weight watchers for the second time. I didn’t start fully participating in MFP until January 2, 2013. I was lucky enough to have the “click” that people often describe. On January 2, 2013, I decided that I was ready to do what it took to lose this weight, and align the person in the inside with the person on the outside. I always felt like a stranger in my body. I would look at my reflection, and realize that the person I saw (and that other people saw) was definitely not the person I felt like on the inside.

How I am today: Typical work day~~~ Wake up at 4:15, get ready, go to the gym, work out. Go to work, eat oatmeal for breakfast. Snack on two apples and a hot chocolate (because I still need chocolate in my life). For lunch, I have a packet of premade tuna salad and 4 club crackers. In the afternoon, I might make a small bag of popcorn or have some fruit or carrots. I make little contests with myself to drink more water than the day before. I drink no less than 16 oz of water every hour during the work day. Then I come home, chill, and eat dinner. Dinner is easily the trickiest meal of the day, because husband is involved in that, and he has not joined me in any way on my healthy voyage.

I am hardcore. I do believe that anyone can make the necessary changes, but it is not for the weak. You have to want it, you have to be dedicated, and you have to EARN it. It will not be handed over to you.

As I said, my husband has not participated in any way. I have had to do this completely on my own. For the first 10 months I did not even have a gym membership. I used online workout videos in my living room for strength training, and I ran around my neighborhood for cardio. This app is free. Nothing else is required, but your dedicated effort! (if you need workout videos... go to FitnessBlender.com --- LOVE LOVE LOVE Daniel and Kelly! great workouts for FREE)

Things that work for me:
I exercise 6-7 days a week
I log my calories Monday thru Friday afternoon. –I keep it completely clean, and stay very close to my goal-
If I go over a little on my goal, I am not worried about it. Anything under 1600 is doing good for me.
I take weekends off of logging, and I splurge to my heart’s delight. Booze, grease, chocolate- No holds barred. -- on Monday, its back to business! (and I'm usually very ready for it!)
I drink an obscene amount of water. 18-24 cups during the work day.
I eat as little processed foods as possible.

~also, I thought that if I stuck to the plan, I wouldn't plateau. I sincerely thought I wouldn't plateau! That was not the case. Plateaus happen despite your best efforts. You have just push through and not let it get you down!

Recommendations:
RESEARCH!!! Google the **** out of EVERYTHING, then decipher the legit stuff from the garbage. Learn which foods keep you fuller longer, learn what a true balanced diet looks like.
I never thought I’d be the type of person that would be all “I don’t eat processed foods,” but I am a strong proponent of logic. And logic tells me that artificial preservatives/flavors aren’t natural, and can’t be good for you.
Read the message boards of MFP, and learn from them. I read one that told me to make friends on here, so I posted something and asked people to add me. I was very surprised to find that the support on here really has made a big difference in this process. It is very meaningful to have people here to encourage you every day, and to watch and celebrate their successes, and to gain strength from one another.
Calculate your TDEE. Don’t know what that is? See above recommendation.
Don’t eat less than 1200 calories. –counterproductive-
Set small goals. end of the month, end of the week, end of the day. Set goals that challenge you but that you can conceivably achieve.
EXERCISE! It feels so good to be strong!

Trial and error.
I always heard people talk about almonds, and how good they are for you. I didn’t really care for them, but I was willing to do whatever it takes to lose this weight, so I learned to like them. Then I would have 3-4 servings of them to snack on, because you can’t have too much of a good thing, right? Wrong! That took up a TON of my calories. So I learned the lesson that portion sizes are exactly that. One is all you need. My point- it will take a lot of mistakes to find out what works and what is best for you. Just keep at it.

This has been a total life changer. In my new job (that I started at the beginning of this year) they all think of me as the health nut. I have never ever been the health nut. In fact, I didn’t like the health nuts, the girls who worried about their caloric intake. It annoyed me, and I couldn’t imagine living a life where you had to nickel and dime your way through a meal or a snack. Maybe it really just annoyed me that I wasn’t like that. And I was fat.

I have bra/pantie pics, but I don't have the nerve to post them yet. Maybe when I reach my final goal...

Pics!

e167f7a8-9d54-4d1c-a28b-c8614186b2c2.jpg
Worst picture ever taken!
2ea32911-a3b3-4eb9-b808-11491424e6b8.jpg
bda7a731-9008-4654-b9f6-6bc6398682be.jpg

b993c6d9-ecdc-4292-8b9d-061d82c1ebda.jpg

72a9c0bb-6736-4d30-85da-299f10764c05.jpg

5bf7ea2f-b1f3-42e4-9bc8-a5b6f71336db.jpg

e3a8b7aa-ac83-4177-9de2-5852aa999648.jpg

a2092899-d0c6-4346-976b-32157f2043cd.jpg

5d96fd11-3e4f-4466-9e5a-4ca42aba380f.jpg

0c2d95dc-3c38-4509-9a9b-8805837071f7.jpg
I weigh in every day.
19b32038-98ba-4e26-869d-016e2e52dd19.jpg

e27572a3-230c-4850-b5b2-4bc2a5a70c92.jpg

a5bb1c29-3375-4213-8a00-657107dae198.jpg
First picture ever taken that I didn’t hate my legs!
1b31a80b-a405-4811-8372-2de7d5470dab.jpg

0d2b770b-14ab-4736-b983-e8516b0ba0a2.jpg

421da724-0e9f-45e3-9708-f1649ccf360c.jpg

98b677c5-548b-4946-87b8-c554b048ff7a.jpg
Out fit compiled almost entirely of cloths my girlfriends have given me. That's right, I can share cloths with my friends!!

898dfd6f-de5b-4dc7-bc8b-816e1ae7ceda.jpg
Little red riding hooker ;)

cda9ded8-e023-400f-846f-07bd33201c97.jpg

Replies

• shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! You look beautiful :smile:

Love your profile name :tongue:
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    You're gorgeous! Your joie de vivre shows through in every picture, both before and after! Congratulations!
  • kell2116
    kell2116 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your story. you look fantastic, obviously, but you also sound pretty fantastic.

also, your wedding photo is amazing.

well done!

:flowerforyou:
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Great story & you look amazing. Good for you!
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! You are stunning regardless of weight but now you glow! Well done xxx
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well done! You look great at 207! Imagine what you'll be like when you reach your goal!
  • StephConey
    Options
    First, your Kermit and Ms. Piggy photo: I LOVE IT!! Next, awesome job! You look fabulous! Do you still have no holds barred weekends? That sounds better to me than a cheat day, honestly. Again, awesome job! :smile:
  • Em2je05
    Em2je05 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Although I can't see your pics, your post has really inspired me. I started my weight loss journey about 1.5 years ago. I was FULL blast and lost a total of about 60 pounds. I had determination, heart, and the desire to be healthy (and to show my ex along with others that I really could do something I put my mind to). However, I stopped once I started talking to my ex again and then proceeded to not care what I ate or about not exercising. Then it caught back up with me and I'm back up to 262. I had been 243 (my lowest weight since the longest I could remember).

Your post has really inspired me that I want others to look at me and to see as as the person that I feel inside (not just my outside).

Congrats on the weight loss! If you want, add me as a friend! :)

Em
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!! You have done such a great job and should be so proud of yourself. You are glowing in those last pictures and are beautiful! I LOVE your bike it is beautiful as well :drinker:
  • JillyBadass
    JillyBadass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for the lovely comments!! I am deeply touched and humbled by the incredible compliments you have given me. I'm floating on a cloud! :)

StephyConey- Yes, I still do no holds barred weekends. That is the only thing that keeps me straight during the week... knowing that if I JUUUST hold out until the weekend, I can have whatever it is that I'm craving so badly. Of course, by the time the weekend comes around, I've usually gotten over said craving. The funny thing is, the healthier I've gotten- the less crazy I go on weekends. My big thing is booze and chocolate. It will often happen that I'll actually skip a meal or two over the weekends because I'm usually having so much fun I forget to eat! Also, although I'm free to eat whatever I want, I'm usually most active on weekends, biking, hiking, running, etc. I love being active in those ways, and it doesn't feel like I'm making an effort to exercise as much as I enjoy doing those things, and they make me feel great! -- and I agree, one cheat meal just isn't going to cut it!!

Em-- I am equally inspired by your story! Clearly you have the capability of losing weight, since you've done it before. You just need to get focused and make choices that are healthy and positive for yourself, and judging from your comment, the ex does not fall into that category...? Either way, I have learned that you have to be stronger than all of that. Stronger than negative influences, stronger than temptations, stronger than the little voice of sabotage in your head, stronger every day in every way!

Also! A couple more "recommendations" for anyone who would like some advice....
    Ditch the excuses! I hate excuses. If you are going to skip working out, then at least be honest about it, and say "I'm not going to workout because I'm a lazy piece of crap." You can still skip if you choose, but at least you're not lying about it. I think it is so important to be honest and congruent.
    My self talk is extremely critical and actually pretty mean. I have a part of me that whines about how I'm tired, I'm lazy, I'm hungry, I really really really want some chocolate, and then there is the side of me that is a badass and it says "TOUGH *kitten*!!!" --- I say that to myself a lot :)
    When I first started, I used to use the mantra "skinny girls don't __________". (and fill in the blank with whatever I want to do that's bad for me) ex) skinny girls don't-- hang out at the food table at a party.... Skinny girls don't -- stuff their face with kit kats... Skinny girls don't -- get seconds at dinner.
    Lastly, food and weight and emotions are so closely tied together. No one who is overweight has a healthy relationship with food. It is pretty damn important to figure out where and why that food relationship went south. We all know when and why we eat; bored, lazy, happy, sad, angry, bitter. But where did it start? What will it take to move past those issues? Where/when did we start using food therapy? I would strongly recommend journaling! Work through your food issues (and other issues as a bonus!) I keep food notes, plus, about 2 1/2 years ago I started writing a book about my weight loss journey. Its a memoir, really, but in it, I started delving into all the painful crap from my past that I clearly have not resolved. Most of it had nothing to do with food... but food was my solution to just about every issue. Tears flowed, thoughts raced, wounds were reopened. I may never publish it.. I'm not worried about that. I am writing it for me, because it is important for me to come to terms with my past, get over it and move on.
    p.s. I used to be a psychotherapist, so I do speak with some authority.

Thanks again to all of you, for your support and encouragement!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing !!! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Beautiful girl, now beautiful and healthier. Congradts!
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    KICK *kitten*!!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    holy wow you are incredible!!!
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    wow! what an inspiration. Thanks for sharing and putting yourself out there. I love reading these stories for motivation and you've just offered a bunch. Congrats and good luck on the rest of your journey!

M
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Hope to follow your foot steps...
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Weight wise I started at 250 and currently 207 I really started working at becoming healthy in June 2013 and have found that when I do things I enjoy like Zumba I do well. This is the first time in all my years of trying to lose weight that I have lost this much and kept it up for this long. Usually I make it 3-4 months. MFP has been a wonderful community of support. You are looking great.
  • BXCHICAinOHIO
    BXCHICAinOHIO Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    GURL - you are not just a BADASS but one dynamic chica! I love your story, love your HAPPY pics, love you perspective. What I most appreciate is that within your story you allow/empower folks to come to their own realizations. The wight loss journey is truly a personal one and trial & error - in my humble opinion - is CRUCIAL! All the best to you! I'm gonna hit you up a friend request...would love to read your positive energy each day =)
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Fabulous job. You are absolutely stunning. Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!