How come other people see results in one week?

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 5'2 and 117 pounds. I feel your frustration and I am experiencing the same thing. I am also not comfortable at this weight and would like to drop a few pounds back to what I was a few years ago. I am just going to keep trying...btw I have a thyroid problem and type 1 diabetes which may be stalling me.

Read comments left for the OP who is the same weight. You have no weight to lose.

Lol. Sure they do. 5 to 10 would put them at optimum, IMO. America has a very distorted sense of what is healthy and ideal. We're kind of messed up, in that regard. We're a fat people in the eyes of the world.

Seriously? Are you looking at a different profile pic than the rest of us?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I am glad this question was asked, because I have been working my butt off for a week, running, jogging, walking, playing sport & only eating my 1200 calories and all I see is the scales going up. I find it very disheartening that this is happening, but I guess because I too have only a few lbs to lose, it will take time.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to perhaps what I am doing wrong, that the scales are going up instead of down.

If you've recently introduced new exercise and/or increased intensity of exercise, your muscles will retain more fluids for repair. Those fluids are surprisingly heavy. I drop a good 5 Lbs of fluid weight when I take a rest week and put it right back on when I start back up. It is not fat and it is not anything anyone can see visually...it'e just water.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am glad this question was asked, because I have been working my butt off for a week, running, jogging, walking, playing sport & only eating my 1200 calories and all I see is the scales going up. I find it very disheartening that this is happening, but I guess because I too have only a few lbs to lose, it will take time.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to perhaps what I am doing wrong, that the scales are going up instead of down.

You're likely retaining water from all of that exercise. You should consider eating more though-- are you eating back your exercise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I did the entire Alpha, Beta and Gamma phase, then did the Pure Strength Gamma calender of T25 too.
    I lost around 6 inches, and about 2.5 lbs.

I've not done the program for a month or so. Last time I popped in one of the Alpha DVDs that got easy by the time I got to Gamma, it had become really hard. Proof that I improved my stamina, and that there is always room for improvement.

I feel more toned still 2 months post T25. It's not a worthless program. That stamina and endurance training is very beneficial.
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Options

i have learned that i don't want to eat ALL my NET cals. If you are working out like that and you eat all the cals back then all you are doing is maintaining. Also one week isn't long enough for your body to adjust to what you are doing. Give it time and find your caloric sweet spot and you will start seeing results.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options

are you eating back your exercise calories?? 1200 calories seems really low, and with all that exercise, you probably need to eat MORE to lose.
  • karenowen60
    karenowen60 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes I am eating back all my exercise calories, I usually only burn about 300 - 400 calories a day at most, so I am definately eating back those calories. My Fitness Pal calculated me as needing 1200 calories, most days I don't eat the 1200, but occasionally I go over by 50 or so.
    Very Frustrating
  • karenowen60
    Options
    Yes I am eating back all my exercise calories, I usually only burn about 300 - 400 calories a day at most, so I am definately eating back those calories. My Fitness Pal calculated me as needing 1200 calories, most days I don't eat the 1200, but occasionally I go over by 50 or so.
    Very Frustrating
  • karenowen60
    Options
    I have only just started exercising because I have 11 weeks to get off the few lbs I want to lose. I am exercising 30mins a day either walking at a very fast pace, or slow jogging and play sport 3hrs a day for 2 days a week.
  • karenowen60
    Options

You're likely retaining water from all of that exercise. You should consider eating more though-- are you eating back your exercise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes I am eating back my calories, at most I use between 300 - 400 calories a day and I am on a 1200 calorie eating plan, so unless I only eat 400 calories a day, which is impossible, I guess I am always going to eat back my calories
  • karenowen60
    Options

are you eating back your exercise calories?? 1200 calories seems really low, and with all that exercise, you probably need to eat MORE to lose.

Very Frustrating
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Yes I am eating back my calories, at most I use between 300 - 400 calories a day and I am on a 1200 calorie eating plan, so unless I only eat 400 calories a day, which is impossible, I guess I am always going to eat back my calories

I'm confused by your wording-- maybe because it's so late and my brain is fuzzy. Do you mean you are eating 1200 calories plus 300-400 more when you exercise? That's how the site is designed so if you're doing that, then great! From your edit though it looks like you're eating 1200 or less and then burning off 300-400. If that's the case, read this:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

At any rate, if you're logging accurately with a food scale but you just started exercise it's almost certainly fluid retention, which you just have to wait out.
  • karenowen60
    Options

Very Frustrating
  • Shynique37
    Shynique37 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I would KILL, and I mean KILL to be 115. You're at a healthy weight. You simply do not have the fat stores necessary to constitute huge amounts of weight loss. Or even small/medium/large. I wouldn't shoot for more than .5 lbs a week, because an aggressive calorie goal isn't what you need.

If you're looking to have more definition with your body, look into body recomposition instead of a calorie deficit.

Totally agree
  • karenowen60
    Options

I'm confused by your wording-- maybe because it's so late and my brain is fuzzy. Do you mean you are eating 1200 calories plus 300-400 more when you exercise?

At any rate, if you're logging accurately but you just started exercise it's almost certainly fluid retention, which you just have to wait out.

Sorry I'm new to all this exercise thing and the MFP, I am eating my 1200 calories which is inclusive of the 300 -400
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I'm 5'2 and 117 pounds. I feel your frustration and I am experiencing the same thing. I am also not comfortable at this weight and would like to drop a few pounds back to what I was a few years ago. I am just going to keep trying...btw I have a thyroid problem and type 1 diabetes which may be stalling me.

Read comments left for the OP who is the same weight. You have no weight to lose.

Lol. Sure they do. 5 to 10 would put them at optimum, IMO. America has a very distorted sense of what is healthy and ideal. We're kind of messed up, in that regard. We're a fat people in the eyes of the world.

:huh: ... no, the world thinks Americans are fat, because you have like 60 odd % of people who are overweight or obese. You are not actually alone in those obesity statistics, but people in the US tend to not look much outside their country and if they do, it's only to their immediate neighbours. The rest of the world is eating too much too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm confused by your wording-- maybe because it's so late and my brain is fuzzy. Do you mean you are eating 1200 calories plus 300-400 more when you exercise?

At any rate, if you're logging accurately but you just started exercise it's almost certainly fluid retention, which you just have to wait out.

Sorry I'm new to all this exercise thing and the MFP, I am eating my 1200 calories which is inclusive of the 300 -400

In that case, eat more. You should be eating your 1200, PLUS whatever you burn off through exercise, so as to keep your deficit reasonable. Read the link I posted above. I'm putting it at the bottom of this post as well.

If you're using MFP's calorie burn estimate it may not be correct, so many people eat back half to start. Also make sure you're weighing your food with a food scale to ensure that you're eating the number of calories you think you are eating.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    for people who don't workout and diet the a week of dieting and workout will be noticeable
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

That means you're only getting 800-900 calories a day to sustain your body's vital functions. You should be eating at least 1500-1600 a day if you're doing 300-400 worth of exercise.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1. It looks like you don't have very much weight to lose. The closer you get to your goal weight, the longer it will (generally) take for the lbs to come off.
    2. Everybody is different.