Veg burger/Salmon burger recipe needed

exermom
exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Does anyone have a recipe WITH THE NUTRITIONALS for a veggie burger and one for a salmon burger? The ones you get premade are so high in sodium. This summer I really cut back on the sodium and now I can taste it in the veggie burgers and salmon burgers that I have/had. So I'd really like to make some up for myself to have at a later date.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    oooo bump for later
  • Hi,

Check this website: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_salmon_recipes Looks good has a few recipes all pretty healthy. :)
  • cmw9696
    cmw9696 Posts: 123
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001206142Salmon Burgers

Use fresh salmon, onion and basil to make these good-for-you burgers and serve on toasted focaccia bread.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 burger)
    Ingredients
    1 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 (1-pound) salmon fillet, skinned and chopped
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    1 large egg white
    Cooking spray
    8 (3/4-ounce) slices focaccia, toasted
    Preparation
    Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine hot pepper sauce and egg white in a small bowl; add egg white mixture to salmon mixture, stirring well to combine.

Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add salmon patties, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve patties on toasted focaccia.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    190 (42% from fat)
    Fat:
    8.8g (sat 2.1g,mono 3.8g,poly 2.1g)
    Protein:
    25.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    1.1g
    Fiber:
    0.3g
    Cholesterol:
    58mg
    Iron:
    0.6mg
    Sodium:
    236mg
    Calcium:
    21mg
    Kirsten Dixon, The Winterlake Lodge Cookbook and The Riversong Lodge Cookbook, Cooking Light, JULY 2006
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    I have actualy tried these my daughter made them!

Nutty Veggie Burgers
    These are yummy, even my very loyal meat-eater boyfriend approved them! they go great with a yoghurt sauce, or a chutney in a wholemeal bun or pitta.

Nutty Veggie Burgers
    Serves: 9 burgers
    240g chick peas, basically 1 drained tin.
    1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 egg
    2 tbsp cornmeal
    1 courgette
    1 yellow pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    50g almonds
    pinch of salt and pepper

Boil the chickpeas for 20 mins to soften them as much as possible. Then drain them and allow to cool.
    Put the courgette, garlic, deseeded pepper, and the onion into a magic bullet/blender(you may need to chop them into small pieces first depending on your blender) with the egg, and a few tablespoons of water.
    Add the paprika, cumin, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
    Remove this mixture and put it into a large mixing bowl.
    Now put the cooled chickpeas into the bullet/blender and blitz into a smoothish paste (you may need to add a little water, or sdo this in small batches).Then add this to the mixing bowl.
    Roast the almonds in the oven for 15 minutes, making sure they don't burn. Then chop them, but not too finely and add to the mixing bowl.
    Give it a good stir and then add in the cornmeal, and mix well.
    Line an oven tray with baking sheet and shape the mix into 9 palm-size balls, which you can then flatten into burgers and put on the baking sheet.
    Leave the tray in the fridge for an hour or so, then transfewr them to a pre-heated 180 degree oven.
    Cook the burgers for 20 minutes, then turn them over with care and roast for a firther 5-10 minutes, so that they go golden brown on both sides.

92 calories per serving, 3.7g F, 0.4g SF, 12.0g C, 1.2g S, 2.8g Fb, 3.9g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/2010/05/nutty-veggie-burgers.html
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Thanks, these look really good. I'm going to print them out so that I have the recipes for the next time I need them.
  • Here are a couple of good ones:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/Detail.aspx

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2565

My biggest tip is to use DRIED black beans - this is the best way to cut down the sodium because canned beans have hundreds of milligrams of sodium. Plus, dried beans are cheaper and more eco-friendly. As long as you can remember to start an hour early you're good. Here's what to do with dried black beans:

1. Rinse beans
    2. Start a pot of boiling water - figure 3-4 cups of water for every cup of dried beans
    3. Boil the beans 2-3 minutes
    4. Remove from heat, cover, set aside to soak 1 hour.

Voila! You'll get roughly 3 cups of beans from every 1 cup dried.
This discussion has been closed.