Buying clothes to slim into?

Options
2»

Replies

• svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Only if is on sale (good price) and fits but tight. Have less the 10 pounds for it to fit. Basically, only one size smaller.
  • monybsoto
    Options
    I think it is great motivation to do that. I have a bikini hung up in my bedroom that serves as my motivation.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    New clothes are my reward for slimming down. They are a great motivator when used as a reward. I would never buy something on purpose that doesn't fit.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    seems silly, as you don't know what size you'll be when you lose weight and inches.
  • kathyflannery129
    kathyflannery129 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    as soon as i get into a smaller size, i buy 2 pairs of jeans another size smaller and hang them on my closet door...serves as inspiration for me and it works for me......
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have a plain black bikini hanging over my mirror to keep me motivated. With that being said, will it fit perfectly once I hit goal, maybe? maybe not, but it will always be in style, and everything has drawstrings to tighten it up

Some of you mention clothing exchanges http://www.swapstyle.com/
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I just bought myself a new top. It's this amazing yoga top, the kind I've seen all these super healthy and fit college girls wearing. I got it in a size smaller than I am wearin right now, it fits in an okay way now, but I know it will be a bit more flattering after some pounds lost.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, especially if what you want to buy is on sale.
  • Shannonwbu
    Shannonwbu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've bought my prom dress the size I wanna be and have it hanging in my room, it's good motivation for me!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i think maybe one item is ok but not loads of items as you do not know what size you will settle down to. I never bought anything to get into for motivation. I had a pair of old shorts that i could nt button up at all. I put them on every couple of weeks to see what progress i had made when the scales where getting on my nerves. Now the shorts are far too big. That was a great motivation for me.
  • zara1408
    Options
    Ive bought a few items in the recent sales a size smaller. Yes, it is a great way to motivate yourself, but dont buy a whole new wardrobe just yet. Im trying not to buy alotta new clothes in general just because when I do get to where I wanna be, I want to be able to buy clothes that are flattering on my new image. Its hard to judge right now what I will find nice once I have lost the weight I want to.
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it or not? I've seen a gorgeous dress in the sale and was considering buying it, and hanging it where I can see it, as inspiration and motivation.
    Has anyone else done this?

I would say, don't do it. When I was thin, and started gaining weight, I bought a bunch of new clothes in the size I was before I started gaining weight, as motivation.... it didn't work, and there are some pairs of jeans I have NEVER worn, that I have had for over 5 years.... it's actually depressing. I don't get rid of them because I am determined to lose the weight, but sometimes I wish I didn't have them, because they don't serve so much as motivation, as they do a reminder that I keep failing.

I guess when I finally fit them, it will be worth it, but I regret buying them. I would much rather have saved the money and go buy new clothes after I lost the weight, and could try them on and see how they looked, ya know?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally say no because as your body changes things may not fit the way you thought they would. I had held onto bunches of classic work suits from when I was thin...then when I got to those sizes, the clothes still didn't fit the way they used to. Now I've shrunken out of them anyway! ;)
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it or not? I've seen a gorgeous dress in the sale and was considering buying it, and hanging it where I can see it, as inspiration and motivation.
    Has anyone else done this?

I used to do this a lot in HS but then I ended up with a closet full of clothes I could not fit into. And when I could fit into them they were out of style ( I.E the brief period when goucho pants made a comeback). I should probably start doing it again though because I bought some new clothing on Black Friday and I out grew them before I could even try them on. (too big)
  • iwtfytj
    iwtfytj Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've done it a couple of times, mostly with jeans but I've bought a couple of dresses as well. If they don't fit right after you've lost the weight, you can always get them tailored.
  • lejenn
    lejenn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought anything smaller, but I've been gifted smaller sized clothes and I use those to help inspire me to lose weight. I'm too frugal to buy clothes that I can't wear immediately, but gifts from my family is fine :)
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    i bought some size 12's on sale when i was a size 20.. well im slipping into everyone of them now.. so yes its a great motivation..
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. Basically any clothes I buy, I now buy them a few sizes too small (or one size, depending on how much I need the item). I typically will try the item on in my current size to make sure it looks good, and then my closet is like a giant reward place. Every month or so, I will try them on.