Just downloaded the MFP App..

Options
Right now I am currently 234 lbs, goal weight (For now) is 190, I am 24 year old male about 6'2, says my calorie intake daily is 2,330. Does that sound right to everyone?...

Thought on an average for a person the calorie intake is 2,000...

Replies

• JMann191
    JMann191 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    anyone lol?..
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    well if you're overweight you're not average :) (well you might be, but you're not what's called "average") ....

My advice, start with what CK recommends and/or enter a day of your 'normal' eating and see what the difference would be - after a couple of weeks you can readjust.

Either that, or wait a bit and someone will post a link to where you can calculate your BMR & TDEE ... (not sure if i can find it again).
  • jigsaw_me
    Options
  • laceandbits
    Options
    If that's what it says your calorie intake should be, that's what it's recommending. Based on what you told it for your base level of activity etc. You'll stay fitter if you're not hungry (and you'll stick at it) and don't lose the weight too quickly. You don't need to eat every single calorie every day, and you don't need to give up if occasional days you go over. 1lb a week, on average, is an acceptable weight loss rate. :flowerforyou:
  • JMann191
    Options
    Ya I filled it out but a lot of that stuff just escapes me as far as what it all means LOL...
  • JMann191
    Options
    If that's what it says your calorie intake should be, that's what it's recommending. Based on what you told it for your base level of activity etc. You'll stay fitter if you're not hungry (and you'll stick at it) and don't lose the weight too quickly. You don't need to eat every single calorie every day, and you don't need to give up if occasional days you go over. 1lb a week, on average, is an acceptable weight loss rate. :flowerforyou:
    okie dokie, thank u :)
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Give it a try for a month and see if you lose weight :). Add me if you like!
  • JMann191
    Options
    Also!!, I know not to go over the amount (try not to at least) but does it it mean you HAVE TO meet every calorie to reach your goal? Lets say out of 2,330 calories, I consume like 1,800 calories, will this still help me reach my goal? Or even faster seeing it did not reach the total recommended amount?..
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The bigger the deficit the faster you lose weight but the more lean mass you may lose, slow and steady is best in my opinion! Plus if you can eat more and still lose weight, that's a bonus and you are less likely to give up!. What exercises are you planning to do out of interest?
  • JMann191
    Options
    The bigger the deficit the faster you lose weight but the more lean mass you may lose, slow and steady is best in my opinion! Plus if you can eat more and still lose weight, that's a bonus and you are less likely to give up!. What exercises are you planning to do out of interest?
    So then If I dont always make every calorie a day thats ok lol? I mainly do walking, bike riding. I recently had knee surgery an my Dr. said no running, which is ok since running is kind of bad for the knees after awhile anyways. I walk Mon-Fri which is about 30-40 mins total each walk.
  • jigsaw_me
    Options
    Also!!, I know not to go over the amount (try not to at least) but does it it mean you HAVE TO meet every calorie to reach your goal? Lets say out of 2,330 calories, I consume like 1,800 calories, will this still help me reach my goal? Or even faster seeing it did not reach the total recommended amount?..

that's a can of worms and how long is a piece of string kinda question ..

you need to eat at a deficit to lose weight, however, some people (including me) believe that if you eat too far under what you need to get through each day (ie what CK recommends) then your metabolism may actually slow down. There are a number of people on this site, however, who will dispute this.

The recommended speed to lose weight is about 1lbs a week (I don't normally work in lbs, so I hope I've got that right, but it's .5kgs).. It's been shown that people who lose weight at that rate are less likely to put it back on.

So if you eat less than recommended you may lose weight faster, or you may not - depending on what your body decides to do, you may also regain the weight again ...

I second the recommendation to try something for three weeks to a month and see how your body reacts - then you can tweak if necessary.

btw, did you get my PM from your earlier post - I really recommend you read Tom Venuto's book "The Fat Loss Solution".
  • JMann191
    Options

that's a can of worms and how long is a piece of string kinda question ..

you need to eat at a deficit to lose weight, however, some people (including me) believe that if you eat too far under what you need to get through each day (ie what CK recommends) then your metabolism may actually slow down. There are a number of people on this site, however, who will dispute this.

The recommended speed to lose weight is about 1lbs a week (I don't normally work in lbs, so I hope I've got that right, but it's .5kgs).. It's been shown that people who lose weight at that rate are less likely to put it back on.

So if you eat less than recommended you may lose weight faster, or you may not - depending on what your body decides to do, you may also regain the weight again ...

I second the recommendation to try something for three weeks to a month and see how your body reacts - then you can tweak if necessary.

btw, did you get my PM from your earlier post - I really recommend you read Tom Venuto's book "The Fat Loss Solution".
    gotcha. An yes I did, thank u.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    These forums always have the same basic debate going on regarding calories. Joannesmith's comment is absolutely spot on - simple and to the point. As she says, try eating up to this level, as close as you can, for a little while, and see how you get on.

The fact is that you will have been eating more than 2,330 calories to have put the weight on. There's no point getting squeamish about eating now.

MFP's calorie target is set as follows: BMR (basal metabolic rate - the calories you would consume if you were in a coma. The more you weigh, the higher this number is) + extra calories consumed in your day-to-day life (this is why they ask how active you are in your job, or whatever). Then 10-20% (depending on your preference for speed of weight-loss) is deducted from this number to give a calorie target for effective weight-loss.

The TDEE method (total daily energy expenditure) is exactly what it sounds like: BMR + extra calories consumed in your day to day life INCLUDING exercise calories. Then the same 10-20% is deducted. It yields a higher number (depending on how much exercise you intend to do).

So the MFP method requires you to record, enter and to "eat back" your exercise calories. It is generally accepted that you might not want to eat back *all* of these calories, as calorie burns tend to be over-estimated on MFP. So, actually, if you follow the MFP system and do exercise, you could find yourself eating more than 2330 calories in a day and still lose weight.

Sorry for the essay.
    [Edit - fixed something]
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Give it a try for a month and see if you lose weight :). Add me if you like!

I agree with this. Try it and see how you feel and how you do then adjust it if you need to.