Recommendations for excercise after car accident

Options
Hello all! I was in a rear end collision two days after Christmas that has left me with less than my normal mobility. I am currently being seen by Chiropractor weekly and receiving therapeutic massage twice a week. I am feeling better & wanting to add some light exercise in to my day, that isn't going to undo any healing results. Most of the problem is in my upper back and neck, I also am having problems with my hips. Obviously I'm not ready to jump on my elliptical! Does anyone have recommendations for a person to start slowly back in to exercise?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I think your Chiropractor can tell you, just ask him/her! Else maybe a bit of a walk for a start and see how that goes?
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    speak to a physio or maybe your chiropractor . I regret never letting myself heal properly and doing all the stretches I needed to do, I have bad luck around cars and now have permanent pain in my shoulder and neck.

resistance bands can be good to use because heavy weights will not help right now. I find swimming and yoga both help with my neck pain , but I wouldn't try yoga without an instructor that knows your injuries. Don't push any high impact cardio until fully healed, walking rather than running will not cause such a strain on your neck.

Hope you have a fast recovery
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You need to see a physical therapist and do the exercises they tell you. That could work two fold, help with your recovery and weight loss. Your doctor really doesn't know what you should be doing as well as the PT will.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor.

/thread
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ask your DOCTOR!!! You could do more harm than good :( And you are WAY to important for that :)
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You really do need to see a doctor and/or a physical therapist. Chiropractors can work wonders, but even they can do more harm than good in certain instances.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    You need to see a physical therapist and do the exercises they tell you. That could work two fold, help with your recovery and weight loss. Your doctor really doesn't know what you should be doing as well as the PT will.

^^^this is how I would handle it.

Having experienced the same thing and recovering, abeit slowly, better to be safe than sorrier.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'd call around to physical therapists and find one that uses the pool. Docs don't just prescribe that for some reason, but after 4-5 rounds of land PT, I called around and found what I needed. I highly recommend pool PT over regular PT for back issues (at least). Good luck!
  • lizzie_093
    Options
    Id highly recomment you go to a personal trainer.
    Im a personal trainer and were trained to deal with injury exercises!

You dont want to hurt yourself more by doing exercise that will put strain on your body.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd call around to physical therapists and find one that uses the pool. Docs don't just prescribe that for some reason, but after 4-5 rounds of land PT, I called around and found what I needed. I highly recommend pool PT over regular PT for back issues (at least). Good luck!

This is correct. Your doctor sends over your list of ailments, not a list of solutions. This is what PTs do.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your doctor.

^This!

Don't take random internet stranger advice when you're injured.

Go see a qualified physio (or equivalent)