Heavy weights vs more reps

Options
I was wondering what your thoughts were on this topic. Do you like going heavy or do you prefer to do more reps. Why?

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    It should depend on your goals. However many reps you are doing, you should use the heaviest weight you can for the number of reps you want to complete.

There's certainly a lot more to it than this, but for a newbie (and I'm barely more than one myself) the basics are -

1-5 reps : Maximal strength
    6-12 reps : Growth
    13+ reps : Endurance

Note that there are several variables you can play with aside from weight and rep range. You can also adjust your rest periods, time under tension (more slowly lowering and raising the weight) and your tempo (relative times to lower, raise, and pause at top/bottom).

I'm sure the experts will be in soon to expand on this simple view.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I like heavier weights because they save time. I have found that my body adapts and quits progressing with lots of reps and no strain.
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've seen more change in my body (not really the scale) when I have lifted heavier for less. When I lifted less for more, I saw more changes on the scale but not on measurements. I will take the measurements. :) Also, it is kind of fun to feel strong.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    To directly answer your question, I lift in the 5 rep range because although I am a little interested in growth, it is important to me to have a good strength:weight ratio. So my goal is for maximal strength for my size. When my strength plateaus, I will add some growth work to my plan, bulk up a little, and then return focus to strength building. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights since I want to add more muscle. You do lighter weights with more reps to keep a lean look.
  • lijsda1
    lijsda1 Posts: 169
    Options
    I am leaning toward the heavier weight just to save some time.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    I am leaning toward the heavier weight just to save some time.

What are your goals? How much time you want to spend in the gym shouldn't be the sole deciding factor in your training plan.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1-5 reps: Optimal Strength
    8-12 reps: Physique/hypertrophy
    13+: muscular endurance

also, it is more efficient to work muscular endurance with circuit training/boot camp/P90X kind of stuff than standard lifting in that rep range...really, lifting in that rep range is very close to being a waste of your valuable time.

I do a hybrid strength/hypertrophy routine...so I have certain lifts that are in the 1-5 rep range and certain lifts that I knock out about 8-10 reps.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I prefer to lift heavy. I do have some lifts that require lighter weights. Namely front and side raises. These I do to help my neck . My rep range for compound lifts only goes up to 12 before I increase weight. I only have dumbells at the moment, so an increase in weight is more than if I used a bare.

Also lower reps seem easier on the joints. I work in a job lifting light objects 48 times a minute . Honestly, my body doesn't want to do that. I don't want to go and do 50 bicep curls and wear my elbows out sooner.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    You do lighter weights with more reps to keep a lean look.
    When will this myth die? That is a function of diet, not some magical reps range. Your muscles can't count.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to lift heavy as I would like to gain strength but I am unable. Lifting lighter weights for 3 sets of 10 I am seeing some muscle gains and I'm hoping to see more by starting a bulk. There have been some studies saying that muscle gain is pretty much the same with either approach so it might be worth googling. It really depends on your goals though.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I will very rarely do more than 10 reps of any of the main barbell exercises, mostly stick to the 3-5 range. I am trying to get as strong as possible, especially in my bench press, squat, and deadlift. For assistance work, I'll do higher reps up to 15, making sure I limit my rest time between sets.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

also, it is more efficient to work muscular endurance with circuit training/boot camp/P90X kind of stuff than standard lifting in that rep range...really, lifting in that rep range is very close to being a waste of your valuable time.

I do a hybrid strength/hypertrophy routine...so I have certain lifts that are in the 1-5 rep range and certain lifts that I knock out about 8-10 reps.

This. I do my core compound moves as 5x5, accessory work as 3x8. It's where I've seen the best changes in both physique and strength.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I get quicker results if I push myself with heavier weights, but I think erring on the side of lighter is a good move for people when they start out or restart. You can progress quickly if it's too easy, but it forces you to go slowly and prevents the tendency to reach for heavier weights than you can handle and sacrifice form for lbs.

I actually started and restarted with bodyweight only just to perfect the movement pattern and progressed from there. A lot of beginner programs start you with just the bar for that purpose, but I'm fairly small and when I started, I was weak enough that a regular bar was enough weight to hinder my form.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by more 'reps'

If it's 20 + reps with light weight that you feel 0 burn, it won't do anything.

This is a common case with a lot of ladies at the gym because they fear getting 'bulky'.

You won't get 'bulky' by lifting heavy. Just look at a lot of the female senior members on MFP's flexing profile pics. They're all lean.
  • Live2beFit92
    Options
    I personally get the best results by lifting as much weight as I possibly can but still reach 10 reps set one, 8 or 9 reps set two, and 7 or 8 reps set three. This works best for me as far as "gaining muscle" goes. If you are just looking to tone I would choose a weight that you are able to do maybe 15 reps set one, 12 reps set two, and 10 reps set 3....or something around that. Then you'd be using a weight that is heavy enough to challenge you & can do a few more reps than usual, but not low enough to the point where your muscles aren't getting a good workout and you're doing 20+ reps haha
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thanks!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Seconded. And a good plan incorporates both 5 and 12 rep ranges.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights since I want to add more muscle. You do lighter weights with more reps to keep a lean look.

No.

I'm also a fan and routinely lift with both strength and hypertrophy.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I personally get the best results by lifting as much weight as I possibly can but still reach 10 reps set one, 8 or 9 reps set two, and 7 or 8 reps set three. This works best for me as far as "gaining muscle" goes. If you are just looking to tone I would choose a weight that you are able to do maybe 15 reps set one, 12 reps set two, and 10 reps set 3....or something around that. Then you'd be using a weight that is heavy enough to challenge you & can do a few more reps than usual, but not low enough to the point where your muscles aren't getting a good workout and you're doing 20+ reps haha

Her ability to gain muscle or anyone for that matter, would be dependent upon the calorie intake specifically a surplus in addition to progressive training. Toning doesn't exist and a woman's training isn't any different than a mans in that aspect.