When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• CASSANDRALCOLBERT
    Options
    I had a baby 4 months ago and I have been asked by several patients since going back to work, how far along am I? That's my last straw. I gained 45 pounds during pregnancy and have lost all but 15 pounds of my baby weight, yet people still think I'm pregnant!!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so this isn't my first time around on this site, but it's my last try and soon to be victory... This week, I busted out of two pairs of slacks that DID fit loose that now are okay, but could be looser. I bent down to pick something up and to my disbelief, "RIP" and wow was all I could think. That was definately my last motivation that got me into gear! What was yours? Was it funny? Sad? :happy:

Strangely it wasn't weight related at all. I'd gotten really depressed and was put on medication that just made me feel worse. I had to take a medical leave from work, but my therapist didn't want me home alone so I started going to a gym near my apartment because it was the only place I could think of where I would be with lots of people and could possibly socialize. I discovered that working out did more to improve my mood than any medication. I stopped taking the pills and just exercised instead. It felt great and I still use it on days when I'm feeling low to help boost my mood.

Then feeling better made me want to look better so after that I spent years trying to figure out how to make that happen.
  • lborhot
    Options
    Nothing fits, I am tired and I have lost my confidence. Bought a pair of pants earlier this week without trying them on (they were the biggest size I have worn) and they did not get past my hips....sad, sad day!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with motivation. I've been small, I've been big...i've been obese... I have really bad problems with depression and alcohol. It's 2014 and I decided I don't want to be obese anymore. I am in a size 16-18 right now and I want to see my size 10's again that I was in a few years back. I want to put down the alcohol for good. When I don't drink I feel better and weight loss is easier. I lost my gallbladder from extreme weight loss and gain...I have had ulcers, heart burn problems, and most recently my feet hurt sooo bad because I'm fat. Seeing myself this Christmas on a family home video made me realize I had to do something I couldn't believe how big I actually was.

Motivation comes and goes, no one is 100% motivated 100% of the time. You have to turn your motivation into habit so when you lack motivation you can lean on force of habit. Even when you don't wanna do something, like today I don't wanna go to work but I'm committed to my job so I'm about to head to work, we must commit ourselves, you can do it, you'll have bad days but you can totally do this. I've had to tell myself to never allow myself to say I can't do something, it's all about a positive outlook now.
  • rkehrberg123
    Options
    Mine was finding out that my boyfriend's ex was sexting him (he didn't reply to messages) and that they have been talking quite a bit on the phone while he is at work. (Although he says he doesn't have time to talk, ever!) It really made me feel down about myself. I'm pretty much at his every call-cleaning the house, cooking meals, taking care of kids, going to college, packing his lunch... the list goes on and on. The only thing I could think of is that this girl has a better body than me. I try not to be jealous because he says he only wants to be with me and that I am the love of his life, yet I can't get past this. So I figured if I started exercising, dieting, and staying motivated, I can lose the baby weight and some. I just want to feel and look pretty again...
  • tjfrisque
    tjfrisque Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My husband said he didn't want to have sex because of my weight gain.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I saw that weighed over 300 pounds! :(
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I went from being carefree and happy to angry and sad and didn't want to leave my house anymore :(
  • entropy90
    entropy90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sex stopped being fun and easy. It became something that took my breath away, not for the right reasons. Hell, that's the one thing that should take my mind off of my problems but its become something that reminds me of them.
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    As we became older, our grandchildren are getting bigger and more active and we can't keep up with kids and grandkids anymore. It is also harder at an older age to carry around the same weight and just lately it has been really obvious physically and mentally. Other things are when we go on vacations and I can't truly enjoy the experience because it limits me in everything. It truly is the time for change physically:)
  • AliceRoseHooperAC
    Options
    seeing the Victoria's Secret show....damn those girls put in work! and they look so lean. Hopefully I can get to a similar level of commitment.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My size 22 jeans were cutting off circulation & I couldn't bring myself to buy size 24. (My aunt, who was long thought to be the largest person in my family, wore 24s...) I'm now down to a size 14 & still going. :)
  • harris7965
    Options
    I have had Hypertension since 2012 and I am stressed out a lot from different things going on in my life. I have a little girl that will be 2 soon and I want to be healthy for her. I have to do this. It is hard but I have too.
  • MissDLynnR
    MissDLynnR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just want the person I feel like on the inside to match the outside. I was buying a new oat and instead of what it SHOULD have looked like on me I was depressed at how IM not just a curvy girl now and knew it was time to really try!
  • Hemptastic410
    Hemptastic410 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I bent my knees and they made noise. I played sports and danced in high school but was always over weight. It hit me that I'm getting older and this is not going to get any better. I want to be able to take care of myself as I age and I dont want any extra problems like diabetes and high blood. I want to have another baby before my clock stops ticking and I can not put anything else on top of what I already have to carry around. If I don't get pregnant this year the clock stops for me. No babies past 35
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wanted to donate plasma to make a little extra money. When I stepped on the scale during my exam, I was shocked at the number. And I couldn't donate anyway because I had low iron. I knew it was time to change my diet and start exercising.
  • iwillthistime1988
    iwillthistime1988 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh 225 .may not look like it.but my face does ive always had a fat face and ugly nose.well I had enough because me and my husband kept bumping into his co workers with there wifes and there were all small and petty. And I felt sorry for my husband having the fatt wife.even thiugh hes never said anything im pretty sure he thinks it.hes the hotest guy at his job with the fatest wife so when they see me with him they take a step back .n me being taller than him makes it worse but cant do nothing about that.I know theres a hot body under all this fat I can see my hour glass figure and sometimes I move the fat with my hands to one side and see half my body skinny and reminds me when I want to give up.dont u want that hot person to come out and make ur husband the emvy of his coworkers .yes yes I do.:tongue:
  • mailaki
    mailaki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There is no single thing to point towards that kinda made me want to change. It was just 19 years of failed efforts and accumulated frustration.
  • PDarrall
    PDarrall Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Being defined as obese officially. Please to say that is no longer true. Now just to get rid of the overweight title.
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    not being abole to fit into a UK size 14 jeans (size 10 US)