Heavy weights vs more reps

Options

Replies

• 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bumping... newbie to weights and interested in the responses and information.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Currently doing 5/3/1 for strength with some 3x10-12 hypertrophy piggy-backing the main lift. Some small accessory work as well at 5x10.

I'm on a small bulk up.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I also prefer to train in both strength and hypertrophy.

There is not just one "right" way....it really depends on your goals and also, what you enjoy because at the end of the day it's the consistency and progressive overload that will determine your results.

Muscle gain or fat loss TBD by diet.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights since I want to add more muscle. You do lighter weights with more reps to keep a lean look.

Exactly, its that simple.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I vary my weight between 3, 5 and 8 lbs depending on the move.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It depends on the goal. I'm trying to build lean mass, so if I can do more than 8 reps comfortably, gotta increase the weight !
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I personally get the best results by lifting as much weight as I possibly can but still reach 10 reps set one, 8 or 9 reps set two, and 7 or 8 reps set three. This works best for me as far as "gaining muscle" goes. If you are just looking to tone I would choose a weight that you are able to do maybe 15 reps set one, 12 reps set two, and 10 reps set 3....or something around that. Then you'd be using a weight that is heavy enough to challenge you & can do a few more reps than usual, but not low enough to the point where your muscles aren't getting a good workout and you're doing 20+ reps haha

Her ability to gain muscle or anyone for that matter, would be dependent upon the calorie intake specifically a surplus in addition to progressive training. Toning doesn't exist and a woman's training isn't any different than a mans in that aspect.

YES!!! Toning doesn't exist, and if your diet is crap, your results will be also!
  • gonna_do_it_56
    gonna_do_it_56 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump...and thanks:smile:
  • Live2beFit92
    Options
    "Her ability to gain muscle or anyone for that matter, would be dependent upon the calorie intake specifically a surplus in addition to progressive training. Toning doesn't exist and a woman's training isn't any different than a mans in that aspect."
    [/quote]

Not all bodies & metabolism are the same so I wouldn't say gaining muscle is "dependent" on a caloric surplus. This may be true in some cases, but I know I eat around 1800-2000 calories(probably a little lower than most males) on a typical day and have no problem gaining muscle. And of course toning exists! hah. Doing more reps with less weight, but still enough weight to be challenging, might not pack on a ton of muscle but it'll sure give you some definition!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    "Her ability to gain muscle or anyone for that matter, would be dependent upon the calorie intake specifically a surplus in addition to progressive training. Toning doesn't exist and a woman's training isn't any different than a mans in that aspect."

Not all bodies & metabolism are the same so I wouldn't say gaining muscle is "dependent" on a caloric surplus. This may be true in some cases, but I know I eat around 1800-2000 calories(probably a little lower than most males) on a typical day and have no problem gaining muscle. And of course toning exists! hah. Doing more reps with less weight, but still enough weight to be challenging, might not pack on a ton of muscle but it'll sure give you some definition!
    Only diet gives you definition, not some magical rep range. I see people doing high reps at the gym daily, yet they are not 'toned'
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've seen more change when lifting heavy
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

[/quote]

1800-2000 cals for a 21yo male and you think you're magically gaining muscle? Please share your secrets because I'm sure many who've been working and lifting heavy things for years would love to listen.
  • Live2beFit92
    Options
    "1800-2000 cals for a 21yo male and you think you're magically gaining muscle? Please share your secrets because I'm sure many who've been working and lifting heavy things for years would love to listen."

.....Yeah haha. Not magically though. it's not about eating a "surplus" like you said, it's about WHAT you eat. Those 1800-2000 calories are packed with protein including lean meats, fish, nuts, whey powder, etc....I eat 150+ grams of protein daily. My calorie range & lifting routine combined allows me to both add muscle and lose weight so you can knock it all ya want but I'm sticking to it.
  • Live2beFit92
    Options
    "What is your indicator that you are gaining muscle?"

Indicator is increased arm size, both biceps and triceps. I have noticed significant definition in chest and back as well but fat loss plays a role in that aspect as well as lifting
  • Live2beFit92
    Options
    Down. I am 5'11 and was 205 lbs with a decent amount of flab when I started lifting and counting calories. Now I am around 180 lbs with both significant muscle gain and fat loss. It is not just "loss of fat making my muscles show" as many people would say, the increase in arm size proves that. And I am not sure what my bf% is...if I had to estimate I would say maybe around 18%
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you should be progressing with your lifts…meaning that you either adding weight or reps…on the flip side of that doing 15 + reps on your main lifts at a lighter weight is, IMO, a waste of time….

if you gotten to a point where you are easily getting up x number of reps then it is time to increase the weight…

what are your goals? If you are looking to retain/add lean muscle and lose body fat I would say lift heavy in the 6-10 rep range…5x5 is a good concept to incorporate as well….
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Her ability to gain muscle or anyone for that matter, would be dependent upon the calorie intake specifically a surplus in addition to progressive training. Toning doesn't exist and a woman's training isn't any different than a mans in that aspect.

Wow! I think I'm going to go with what you say because those muscles in your pic are awesome! Very impressed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

[/quote]

if you are gaining muscle you are in a calorie surplus.

If you are losing fat you are in a calorie deficit..

its basic math and thermodynamics and all that fun stuff...