Anyone know where I might be able to weigh myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Lol! I never owned one until my doctor yelled at be durning my pregnancy about gaining weight and told me I had to get one. Ends up the darn tech didn't zero the doctors scale right and I didn't gain the massive 4 pounds that month that she thought I had :P. before if I was curious I would use the gym scale, friends scales, or Walmart! So I say Wally world as well!
  • heatherfutch
    Options
    Publix usually have a scale too! I agree with all the posts about there being one at your college...far easier and try and take advantage of their exercise equipment too! That's usually free with tuition ;) Take advantage of ANY discounts you can get by flashing a student id...they are likely ALL over town!! :)
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about losing weight, surely a couple bucks for a scale is the most basic piece of equipment you should own? Lol
    Yes, I would like a scale, but I am a starving student and food and books are more important than a scale if I can find one that I can use for free :P

another thought..does your college have an infirmary or a student health center? I'm sure you could get weighed there
  • dpdsouza
    dpdsouza Posts: 5
    Options
    I would recommend buying one as soon as you can if you are looking at long term weight loss. The best time to weigh yourself is in the morning on an empty stomach after you have done your morning rituals. Going to public weighing booths can give you very inconsistent results (here in Mumbai it is mostly coin operated machines at railway stations which have given me as much as a 5 kg difference). Also since you are likely to have eaten something before going to an external machine your results will probably show greater variance. Till you can afford one, go to your doctor. I used to visit my GP's clinic before he would come in and weigh myself. They don't mind as long as you dont butt in when he has patients and you will get more consistent results. Take a 3-4 week average for more stable results.
  • youcantfoolme
    youcantfoolme Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If your birthday is coming up ask for one as a gift. If not ask anyone you know who may be replacing theirs if you can have the old one.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    I would also like to add that you can often find simple scales at thrift stores for like a dollar or two because people are often replacing those scales for electronic easy to read scales. I recently donated my old one. My dad bought one from a garage sale once.
  • Schonprinzessin
    Schonprinzessin Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scale either - found this thread, curious to what other people would suggest - one I don't think anyone else has mentioned yet is the vet. My local vet clinic has a big scale in the lobby that's meant for dogs, but I'm sure they let people use it too. (Or you could just do it quickly while nobody's looking).
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great piece of sarcasm there .. but if she is like me, owning a scale is torment. If I had a scale I would be on it all day long. I go to my Dr's office and weigh myself (gratis) on his scale every Sat. morning. So, NOT owning a scale is preferable for some people. Maybe she cannot afford to purchase a reliable scale. This business of losing weight is tough enough without getting ridiculed for asking a question.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about losing weight, surely a couple bucks for a scale is the most basic piece of equipment you should own? Lol

Kind of insensitive.

Not everyone has extra money to spend. Some of us are really struggling and every dollar goes to bills, food, etc.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Just go in whichever store where they sell scales and try them; it's you right as customer try the scale :P
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    No need for a scale. Spend a couple of bucks on a basic cloth or vinyl measuring tape and track your measurements. It's a much more accurate reflection of progress anyway.

You can usually find a good tape in the laundry or sewing section of any grocery or drug store.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yeah, go to Wally Mart and weigh on 3 different scales. You're likely to get 3 different numbers, so, you can then choose to go with the lowest number and make that your current weight ;-)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK you can get scales for the equivalent of less than $5.

As above, a measuring tape may be just as useful.

Can go one cheaper than that and try a bit of string or rope and either just lightly tie a not for the position, or add a scale.
  • EmpoweredMimi
    EmpoweredMimi Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This!

Glad someone said something back!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    K-mart is where I went before I bought a scale.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Kind of insensitive.

Not everyone has extra money to spend. Some of us are really struggling and every dollar goes to bills, food, etc.

No doubt! Some people have never financially struggled before, I guess. A good scale is a bit more than "a couple of bucks."
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can you buy a cloth measuring tape? That's another way to check your progress if you cannot consistently weigh yourself.

Edit: oops, already mentioned! I also second the recommendations to check your campus wellness center and gym
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    So, I don't have a scale right now, and I'm really quite broke so I would rather not have to buy one. Is there any public place where I can weigh myself? I've been eating healthier and exercising for a couple of weeks now, maybe a month, and I'd like to see how I'm doing...

okay you will love this one: go to your local store and hop on a scale in the scale section. Walah.. you just weighed yourself. I did this when my scale broke and was waiting to buy one. lol
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Get a cheap tailors tape. By using public scales it's going to be largely meaningless unless you wear the same clothing every time.