Losing Weight Too Fast?

Options
Hello! I'm new to MFP and had a few questions.

Background: I grew up with a lot of allergies where I had to be put on a lot of doses of prednisone in order to keep my allergy attacks at bay. This started developing when I was around 19 years old and I ballooned in weight to my highest weight. I am finally off the prednisone as of two years but I never watched my diet or felt the need to work out until now.

Since Christmas I have been working out every other day, starting with small, fun exercises and hopefully building as my energy and willpower grows. I have also drastically changed my diet and started using MFP after New Years to help count calories. I have also increased my water intake to 8 glasses a day.

I'm concerned because I'm averaging a pound of weight loss a day. I feel great and not run-down but I've heard this could be dangerous and not to lose more than 2-5 pounds per week. I understand that I may also be dropping additional things such as water weight but I wanted to make sure that I'm not doing any damage by averaging a pound a day or if that's normal for people?

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It's likely to be water weight. Just keep counting calories and working out and you'll start slowing down to a healthy weekly rate soon enough.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF!!!

When you start your weight will drop quite drastically then it should level off. Weigh yourself once a week in the morning before you eat or drink. You' get a far better grasp on what you're actually losing by doing it this weigh and water weight gained won't affect you so much mentally.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF!!!

When you start your weight will drop quite drastically then it should level off. Weigh yourself once a week in the morning before you eat or drink. You' get a far better grasp on what you're actually losing by doing it this weigh and water weight gained won't affect you so much mentally.

Yes, because understanding what changes are happening to your body is such a horrible thing. :huh:

The OP is looking for clarification on why he's seeing the changes he's seeing and the answer is that he's likely shedding some excess water weight due to the change in his diet. This sort of initial loss is common and is nothing to be afraid of. Use it as motivation but don't expect this rate of loss to continue.

Telling him to never weigh himself is akin to telling him to just shut up and be ignorant.
  • ms_borgias
    Options
    Also, if your BMI is over 35 you are apparently safe to lose up to 5lb a week(confirmed by a doctor friend) as it is healthier to get your weight out of the obese/morbidly obese range as quickly as possible, hence why medically assisted weight loss allows for rapid mass weight loss in the morbidly obese and then thereafter the generic goals kick in. I have seen losses of 6-12 on the first week of dieting myself on returning to dieting having regained 2 stone over a 3 year period. Keep up the good work.