morbidly obese, 300+lbs to lose - calories/day?

Options

Replies

• laughsalot785
    laughsalot785 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Calorie restriction can work, but you also want make sure that you're changing your diet, as 80% of weight loss comes from the types of foods you put in your body and how those foods interact with your hormones. I'd take a look into reading "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig and see about trying to complete a Whole30. You'd essentially be cutting out grains/sugars and processed crap out of your diet, and eating lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables. That way, you can focus 100% on just eating the RIGHT type of foods and then choose to reduce the number of calories, if so desired. Hope that helps!
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    right now anything is going to help, eat and log your foods, if you "fall off the wagon" just let it be a bump in the road, this isn't going to happen overnight... it took a while to get as big as we are and it will take a while to get it off! It CAN be done! If you want you can add me (friend request sent) and we'll keep each other motivated!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Trust myfitnesspal. It works. You don't have to starve to lose weight. You want to make changes you can keep and not give up and resort to bad habits. As you lose the calorie goal will come down. Good luck.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's funny. One time I saw a nutritionist through my health insurance and she tried to make me only 1200 calories. At 380 lbs (at the time), it felt impossible. I begged to be at 1500, which is what the previous nutritionist told me and had worked for the previous 4 weeks, but the new one told me 1300 calories max. I only lasted another 6 weeks on that. And then gained all 15 lbs back plus another 15 lbs. I guess the emphasis was to lose as much weight as possible, not about sustainability.

MFP actually set me at 2100 initially when I was at my heaviest. Now it has me about 1950, but I set mine to 1850 knowing I'm counting about 90% accurately (like I took a bite of a cookie my bro had and no, I didn't log it... thus the cushion). And I'm actually losing more weight at a more consistent rate (2 lbs/week) than I ever had... and it's been 5 months! This is the longest I've ever been eating healthy/exercising and I have tons more energy and I've lost 47 lbs!

I guess all in all, listen to your body, listen to the scale and do what YOU feel you can handle. If you feel like you're starving with the amount of calories you're given, increase it a little and accept you might lose weight just a little slower, but you'll be losing weight! I know people will try to be extreme with you (a la Biggest Loser... I hate how that show makes people believe that if you're morbidly obese and not losing 10 lbs a week, you're not doing it right). But you're already taking the right steps by going to the gym, talking to people and being on here!

Best of luck and feel free to add me as we take this weight loss journey together!
  • littlelou374
    Options
    Hi! Welcome. I agree with Lesa_Sass...I am excited to see where your journey takes you.

Feel free to add me to your friends list too.

:smile:
  • Erebekah33
    Erebekah33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I believe u should start off at about3000 and give yourself time to adjust...just change the foods to lower fat and higher protein..also I would wing myself off the sodas..I know cuz I lost 28lbs just from giving up soda.I wouldn't drink diet either..fake sugars make ppl over eat more and to damaging in the long run..just drink water,green tea with honey or little sugar..it will help u boost ur weight loss and water retention too..and just walk and if u can do more do it..I started with half mile a day then went up..in home walk away dvds..u can do it..its not hard once u see how u lose and feel better..I started slow at 229lbs and I lost 98lbs in two yrs at my own pace..cuz everyone made it so hard..so I just kept my calories at 2000 at first and walked..fr there I got into weight training and I felt better...just don't give up no matter what..praying for u.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Should I go less, maybe 1500 as that's an average healthy woman's cals per day

Who said that? My BMR is already 2800, and I burn 2200 on days I do nothing. I use the TDEE method, works great for me.
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • damianjh
    damianjh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there. =]

My advice would be to not worry so much about the calories - (although I think 1500 would be too low, and 3000 is probably a more realistic figure) - but rather focus on a diet full of fresh vegetables and fruit, good fat, and lean protein.

If you plan to lose a lot and maintain it, this would probably be the way to go. If you were to cut down to 1500 immediately, you'd probably be quite hungry if you didn't fill the diet with naturally low calorie foods. Currently, my diet is meat-free, processed-food-free, and bread-free - eating mainly fruit, vegetables, and proteins like egg and tofu. The thing is, I'm eating a LOT of food, and staying within my calorie limit.

Start with the 3000, but get as much fruit and veg as you possibly can, and you'll probably realise quite quickly - you don't need to cut to 1500 to see the kind of results you may be hoping for. And at 3000, you can still eat a lot of things you like whilst reaping the benefits of weight-loss. Go for a gradual change, and then when you get into it more make decisions about the calorie limit.

3000, however, I'd say was a really good starting point. =]

Hope that helps. =]
  • JECole2013
    JECole2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best. I lost 140 pounds 13 years ago and I know the struggle.
    What finally got me to do it, was I accepted that I needed help and then I got it.
    Of course, it is not easy to find! You would think it would be considering how common obesity is in the US.
    Imagine if you had Type 1 diabetes and the only thing that doctors told you was "watch what you eat."

But, do everything you can to get expert advice on
    1. Calories
    2. Weightloss pace
    3. When to exercise
    4. What to eat
    5. Blood work (which can reveal a number of medical conditions that cause obesity)
    6. How to manage your disease for the rest of your life.

I believe there is a difference among those who are battling weight . The weight is a symptom of another condition. And there are many conditions that cause obesity:
    1. Emotional unhealthy
    2. Thyroid disfunction
    3. Metabolism disfunction
    4. Depression, To name a few.

And then there is managing the disease. Imagine how ridiculous it would sound if a doctor told a diabetic to just estimate how much insulin you need each day. "just inject the amount that fits in the palm of your hand." That is the advice our doctors tend to give us about food intake.

Instead, you have a disease that needs daily management. It sucks for sure, but you didn't cause it. You were born with it.

So, what I am learning is this:
    1. Don't ask for help with weight loss ... there are too many different types of "weightless" and they are not interchangeable among people.
    2. Investigate what is going on with your body. If you haven't already, really seek the help of an excellent doctor who understands obesity. It meant the world to me.
    3. Measure everything!! Your weight (use the scale), Your measurements (be exact), Your food (find out not just how many calories you need, but google how many nutrients you need or go to a nutritionist), log your food daily and frequently (a diabetic measures their blood sugar six times a day with blood!! because if they don't, they could die.)
    4. Drink lots of water, all day long
    5 Get lots of sleep
    6. Move your body daily in anyway that you can. Increase whatever you are doing to move from day to day as you can.
    7. Never beat yourself up for any of it. Obesity is an emotional trauma and a physical/medical condition and few people can handle it without help, mourning and processing the unfairness of it all. In all likelihood, you have battling a condition that is not yet fully understood by the medical community or society. That makes it all the harder. The fact that you are here, posting and seeking help speaks volumes about your strength. Don't give up. You are worth it and you can do it.

Sorry for the long winded post ... I'm going through my own battles and much of what I wrote is advice I am trying to take myself, so forgive me if it doesn't apply. But, know that I am pulling for all of us who have this condition!

Peace.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    You have more than enough body fat to supply deficit energy. Reduce your calories to the point that you feel you can maintain that intake without beating your self up. You definitely don't need 3000 calories a day.
  • Totalkathy
    Totalkathy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am 480, I've lost 55 pounds. I have the same question. I felt the number of calories that were set for me was too high and I was losing too slow. So I cut down to 1600, then 1200. 1200 is pretty tough. I go over often. So I may as well set it back up to 1600. That's probably what I'm really eating anyway. If you would like to add me as a friend, feel free to request to be a friend. I open my food diary for my friends to see. I figure it keeps me more honest and accountable. Take care, and good luck!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    MFP told me something crazy, like 3000 cals/day.

That's probably right then. I would got with the MFP number.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,755 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi OP! I see a lot of advise around :smile: I will chime in too, why not! :wink:

First of all: Do not make your deficit so large that you stop trying because things get too hard! If you eat a bit more; but, still do so at a deficit, you are well ahead of going for a larger deficit and then abandoning your efforts when things get hard.

Secondly: you will be at this for a LONG time. Years to lose. Years to maintain. Internalize that. Accept that and reconcile yourself with it. And don't worry about 500 calories a day either way... not for a while anyway!

Thirdly: with all the problems that come with being Obese III, you are in the happy position where extreme deficits are both possible and sustainable! You can probably lose up to 1.5% of your bodyweight per week in a sustainable fashion for the next little while without major dangers to your health. Mind you, this assumes that it is physically possible for you to generate a deficit of 3,500Cal a day (which is what it would take for you to lose 1.5% of your bodyweight a week), to which I refer you to my first point--don't make things too hard for you--you didn't gain it all in a month or two, and you are not going to lose it all in a month or two either!

My personal piece of advise: Start at 3,000 Cal. It is a lot less than what you've been eating to get where you're at. And it is high enough that you will have enough room to move down as you lose weight.

Do not overdo things, or try to be a hero with the exercise. At the weight you're currently at, pool based activities, or walking, if tolerated, might be best to protect your joints. You WILL need your joints in order to do more and more activity as you get lighter and more able to tolerate that activity! And you will also FEEL like engaging in more activity as you get lighter.

Good luck with your journey! Learn some things about yourself, and move to a new phase of your life when it comes to your relationship with food, movement, and what you do for entertainment!
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add, except all the best to you!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! MFP has me set at 3400 cals / day, will give it a try for awhile and see how things go.

6'4" guy 53 yrs old. I started at 415 and MFP said 3000 plus per day. I spent the first month just learning to record everything in MFP and figuring out what to eat. I actually lost a bit. Then I set mfp to lose 1/2 pound per week. Then after some success I raised it. Now I'm set for 1.5 per week. And after losing the first 100 pounds over 16 months mfp has MFP goal is around 2250.

A few things to remember. You didn't get fat fast and you won't lose it real fast. You are msking a total lifestyle change and that is hard. But a total lifestyle change is the only way you will keep it off. Finally you only need to lose one pound - the next one. Thinking of losing more than 200 pounds was too much for me, but I can focus on one and 10 or 15 pound increments. So all I need to lose now is 1 pound - and repeat that 135 more times.
  • melinda3850
    melinda3850 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    im only 309, but this app says to limit my intake to 1620. even then i find that i feel like im eating more, seem fuller as well.
    ive been sticking to what the app says and in a week ive lost just under 2.5kg...dont know what that is in pounds.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    im only 309, but this app says to limit my intake to 1620. even then i find that i feel like im eating more, seem fuller as well.
    ive been sticking to what the app says and in a week ive lost just under 2.5kg...dont know what that is in pounds.

About 5.5 lbs. If you take your kilos and multiply by 2.2042 if gives you lbs.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Calorie restriction can work, but you also want make sure that you're changing your diet, as 80% of weight loss comes from the types of foods you put in your body and how those foods interact with your hormones.

Um, nope!

• JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This seem like an idiotic question, if someone were to say eat all there calories. stay in deficit on donuts will they still lose weight? I eat a generally healthy diet just now smaller portions and measuring pretty much everything. I mean say you go over on a few things in your macros or a person goes over a lot on there macros would a typical person still lose?

This was on the news...

http://6abc.com/health/teacher-loses-60-pounds-while-eating-nothing-but-mcdonalds/705916/
  • JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm an RN and I would get a baseline set of bloodwork done. You may be diabetic or have a problem with your thyroid and not even know.