which artificial sweetener do you like and why?

Options
2»

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Stevia. It causes the least digestive upset for me. Of course, I use real sugar too, like agave nectar in my coffee and I eat the sugar that is in processed foods (like my chocolate bars.)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you have or are at risk for diabetes because that's the only reason I could think of for your doctor to tell you to switch. If so, agave nectar and stevia are two safe, natural, delicious choices. :)
  • iloveribs
    Options
    I recently went to a nutritionist because I'm pre-diabetic. I had been using Splenda, because of no calories and I really liked, but she said I should try Stevia instead which is all natural and no calories. I have started using it. I don't like it as much, but I guess I have to get used to it.

She also said it very important to avoid food with high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
  • Casman62
    Casman62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try xylitol. It is a sugar but natural and has no aftertaste like Splenda, equal, etc
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am so used to Splenda, have been using it for over three years now but I mostly have it once a day with my morning coffee and on weekends and rarely when I bake. I tried Stevia and did not like the taste at all.
  • avocadoshaped
    avocadoshaped Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth as well, but artificial sweeteners all come with problems. Aspartame, gives your brain cancer, and the sugar alcohols (xylitol etc) gives you diarrhea. Something like splenda isn't that bad but it all comes back to why does everything need to be so sweet.

If you've got the 'Betes or are pre diabetic, it might be time to find more savory indulgences. Chasing the your blood glucose is such a pain.
  • healthyfreak123
    healthyfreak123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I looooove Splenda! I have tried others, such as Stevia, but I always come back to Splenda... I know its not as good for you but it tastes amazing! :)
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I use Splenda. It can have a funny aftertaste but I have gotten used to and don't notice it any more. Stevia gives me horrible headaches and monk fruit gives me a horrible aftertaste and weird film in my mouth that doesn't go away for hours. You really will just have to go out and buy a tiny amount of all the different kinds and see what works for you.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I'm guessing you have or are at risk for diabetes because that's the only reason I could think of for your doctor to tell you to switch. If so, agave nectar and stevia are two safe, natural, delicious choices. :)

No on the agave. It is essentially the same thing as honey and loaded with sugar.
  • Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    pure stevia extract, no maltodextrin or dextrose mixed in so it does not spike blood sugar.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ditch the artificial sweeteners; they're no good for you! A tsp of honey (21 calories and will satisfy your sweet tooth) or stevia extract. Same with agave, a little goes a long way.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    In the UK the market is predominantly saturated with aspartame products (such as Canderel and most supermarket versions), or saccharin products (Hermesetas, Sweetex). I do fine with the former and have been using it for years, not so good with the latter (it has an aftertaste and gives me stomach cramps).

You can get Splenda, which is perfectly fine but does have some cals, or Stevia, which I found revolting. It foamed up my tea and tasted hideous.

I admit I would like to convert back to the real thing and avoid the chemicals, but I understand that there is very little scientific proof out there that aspartame is harmful to, or carcinogenic in, humans - and anyway, as I love my sweet tea and coffee I'd be consuming 100's of cals per day in sugar alone. Ultimately I should aim to reduce my preferred level of sweetness, so I don't have to use sugar OR chemical sweeteners!!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Ditch the artificial sweeteners; they're no good for you. A tsp of honey (21 calories and will satisfy your sweet tooth) or stevia extract.

Honey is loaded with sugar.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I use up to 6 packets of Splenda a day, mostly for drinks. Anything with aspartame gives me stomach aches and stevia makes me severly dizzy. It is a real side effect for sensitive people. Just something to be aware of :wink: Splenda doesn't seem to cause me any problems so I will continue to use it. I do log my sweetener since it has 4 calories a packet. Companies are allowed to list an item as zero calories if it is under five per serving.
  • Kishmishee
    Options
    Hands down for me would be Equal, and not some generic version blue packet. It's the only one for me that doesn't give me an aftertaste. Now, if you asked my husband, he can't stand the stuff and always chooses Splenda instead. He says that has no aftertaste for him, but the others do. If I can't have Equal, my next go-to is Sweet'n Low, but I don't like it as much.

Here's the thing: everyone's tongue can pick up on some flavors that others can't. So, really, you have to try them all out and see which one you like most. My suggestion is to hit up a Starbucks or some place and grab at least two packets of each one: Splenda, Sweet'n Low, Stevia, and Equal. Don't try them all in one day, cause some aftertastes last a long time, in my opinion. Make the same drink a few days in a row and each time, sweeten it with something different.

See which one YOU like. If none at all, then I suggest a low glycemic impact alternative, like Agave Nectar or Coconut Sugar (which doesn't taste like coconut, by the way). See how those work for you.

As a doctor myself, part of controlling your blood sugar means also controlling your carbohydrate intake. That doesn't just mean sugars. That includes breads, rice, potatoes, baked goods, fruits and some vegetables. Even a pie that has "no sugar added" or "sugar free" may be full of carbohydrates and your body treats that the same as regular sugar.

Hope the information helps!
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I like splenda even though a lot of people have negative things to say about it.

I hate sweet and low...i think it tastes bitter.