Dance it off.

Options
Hi!
New to myfitnesspal. I decided to get back into shape by digging into my childhood and pulling out a little gem. Im going to lose weight by getting back into DDR -or- Dance Dance Revolution. When I was 16 this game kept me in rather good shape for being a very un-sporty teenager. When my dance pad finally wore out, I put the game away and never played again. As I got older...the more my weight grew too. Now being 23, I thought why not give it a go again. I found a used game shop who had a barely used DDR mat for 9.99 and I knew it was fate. I picked up just Dance 2014 for the wii as well. I tried Just dance 3 a few months ago and thought it was goofy yet fun game to play once in a while. But now its time to get serious. Ive set a goal to lose 30 lbs using these dance games and a reasonable diet plan. Heres to losing weight in a really fun way. Wish me luck!

-Meganwinx

Replies

• ericfla
    Options
    Hi Megan,

I actually have the DDR2 "Hottest Party" in my closet... never thought of it until I saw your post about using it as a tool for losing weight.

I do know why I never really used it... it seemed the moves were too much for me to learn... blah... I'll have another go at it.

Good Luck to you as well!!!
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    Hey! Cool idea! I have the games you mentioned :) while DDR2 is entirely cheap with terrible graphics and not related to dancing in the slightest -- BOY does Silver Dream on advanced beat the snot out of you.
    On the other hand Just Dance is actually somewhat related to dance and it's pretty steady with the cals, although even the Sweat parts are not that challenging.
    I think you have some great tools!
  • meganwinx
    meganwinx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Haha Even though DDR isnt exactly real dancing, If youre able to play on light-standard-or-Heavy mode Its actually a really good workout. They did studies on it in 2007 about how many calories you burn and such. I like to alternate both games. DDR really tires my legs where Just dance for the wii is much more tiresome on my arms. Either way I find it alot more fun then going for a run. Heres to Exercise I look forward to doing everyday.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Dance on :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Sounds like a fun way to burn calories and lose weight. Good Luck
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Could never dance until my three little angels taught me after I lost the weight! LOL
    It's quite the workout ...Feel like a kid again sometimes, discovering the muscle in my body, i love it!

Remember ..Anyone can do it! Everyone needs motivation ...Life is short, make the best!
  • SarahMS79
    SarahMS79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ohhh sounds like soo much fun! I am also using games on my Xbox 360 to lose weight. Do you like Zumba??? The game is amazing and I've lost 5 pounds in about a week and a half from it. :) I also just bought Just Dance 2014, it's pretty fun too!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Dancing definitely works along with logging cals. I have the xboxone & JD2014 & ZWP
  • LoveMePerfectly
    Options
    ohhh sounds like soo much fun! I am also using games on my Xbox 360 to lose weight. Do you like Zumba??? The game is amazing and I've lost 5 pounds in about a week and a half from it. :) I also just bought Just Dance 2014, it's pretty fun too!
    I have Zumba on the wii and I love it! I went to a Zumba class on Friday and burned an insane amount of calories so I decided today to do an hour on my wii and I burned just as much. I'm just mad at myself for not committing to dancing the weight off sooner. Good luck and have fun!
  • meganwinx
    Options

I have not tried Zumba as of yet. I guess im looking for the right one. Ive heard some people say they dont teach the moves very well but I have at least a little dance experience so I might be alright. It'll def be on my list, especially if my two games start to get a bit boring after a few weeks.
  • SarahMS79
    SarahMS79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I have not tried Zumba as of yet. I guess im looking for the right one. Ive heard some people say they dont teach the moves very well but I have at least a little dance experience so I might be alright. It'll def be on my list, especially if my two games start to get a bit boring after a few weeks.
    The Zumba game I bought does have an option to learn the steps. I don't worry too much about getting every little move right...heck with that. I wear a heart rate montior and as long as I'm having fun and burn calories I don't worry too much about get every little move right. :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Just Dance 2014 is great! Just Dance 4 has a kick boxing routine that is hard but oh so fun, If you can get that one I think you would love it.
  • meganwinx
    Options

The Zumba game I bought does have an option to learn the steps. I don't worry too much about getting every little move right...heck with that. I wear a heart rate montior and as long as I'm having fun and burn calories I don't worry too much about get every little move right. :)

ooo! then i might try it anyway. and I thought about picking up 4 just for the different songs but that makes me want it more. thanks! Looks like Ill be headed back to the used game shop down the road :)
  • AmazinglyKriss
    Options
    I play DDR for excersize on my ps2, ive owned a metal dance pad since i was 20.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Many years ago (10?) we invested in two arcade quality DDR pads that we set up side by side in our basement and had "dance offs" for hours on end. It did amazing things for the fitness levels in our family. The only problem was that we were all so intense in our competitions that injuries abounded and we had to stop. If I turned it on to sneak in a little practice on my own, my daughter would come limping downstairs and attempt to play with me (actually she would beat me, despite her ankle problems). Then we moved and they didn't get set up in the new house. This thread makes me nostalgic enough that I may look for a spot to set them up again. Thanks.
  • hachillama
    Options
    I love dancing! It's a huge way that I lose weight and exercise. I got an XBOX the minute I found out about the dance game on the kinect, it's one of my favorite. Also going salsa dancing, and any other kinds of dancing burns so many calories it's crazy. Good luck and add me for inspiration :) xoxo hachillama:happy: