Sudden drop in weight.

Options
Hi guys,

So, I weighed in yesterday morning at 190lbs.
However, I weighed in this morning at 185lbs.

Now, don't get me wrong - I'm pretty pleased with that - but I mean, 5lbs in 24hours? That can't be right?
Granted some of it must be water fluctuation, but it just seems an incredible number to drop as entirely water weight also?

My diet atm the moment is meat-free, bread-free, processed-food free, and full of vegetables, fruit, and proteins like eggs, cottage cheese, and tofu. I'm eating a lot of food, and sticking fairly close to within the calorie limit advised by MFP (1340 - give or take 150 either way).

Does anyone have any ideas about this drop in weight?
Like I say, it's not as though I mind, but it's left me a bit puzzled to be honest.

Thanks x

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for many reasons...but if yesterday was your first day then yes a lot of that is likely to be water weight, but if you'd a lot of sodium a day or two prior you may have been retaining more fluid than usual.

Also are the scales reliable? Are they on a solid surface? Batteries okay?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates a lot. Lots of things affect water weight - including changes in workout routines or intensity, changes in the amount of sodium consumed, changes in the amount of carbs consumed, hormonal fluctuations etc. Then there's also the issue of the actual amount of food/waste in your system. If a number of these things happen at the same time, then you could have a sudden gain or drop. Some people fluctuate by that much every day anyway.

Weighing under the same conditions keeps it a bit more consistent too. Do you weigh in the same clothes (or naked)? Did you weigh yesterday before using the bathroom, and this morning after? It can be that simple.

If you can't figure it out, I wouldn't worry about it. Obviously, if you drop 5 lbs every day, that's a problem. You might jump back up tomorrow, or it might just have been time for your body to let some weight go. It's not always linear. Check this out: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for many reasons...but if yesterday was your first day then yes a lot of that is likely to be water weight.
    ^Oh yes, I was assuming you'd been at this a while, but if you have just started, then it's very normal to have a sudden drop.
    ^And this is a good point too.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen to me as well. Sometimes the scale won't change for a while and then suddenly, whoosh, I lose 2 pounds overnight. I think one or more of the reasons stated above should explain the reason.
  • damianjh
    damianjh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for many reasons...but if yesterday was your first day then yes a lot of that is likely to be water weight, but if you'd a lot of sodium a day or two prior you may have been retaining more fluid than usual.

Hi - just checking my sodium the past few days: 2461mg - 2502mg - 2152mg. I mean, to me, I'm not sure if that's a lot or a little (lol) but I can't imagine it being that because all week I've stayed within the same 200-300mg area. Although this isn't the first day, it's the first week, so that may be it.

As for the scale: Yeah, I thought about that myself too - so I double checked the figure, but also had someone else weigh who weighed yesterday, and their weight stayed the same. So, I can only assume the scales are accurate.
    Weight fluctuates a lot. Lots of things affect water weight - including changes in workout routines or intensity, changes in the amount of sodium consumed, changes in the amount of carbs consumed, hormonal fluctuations etc. Then there's also the issue of the actual amount of food/waste in your system. If a number of these things happen at the same time, then you could have a sudden gain or drop. Some people fluctuate by that much every day anyway.

Weighing under the same conditions keeps it a bit more consistent too. Do you weigh in the same clothes (or naked)? Did you weigh yesterday before using the bathroom, and this morning after? It can be that simple.

If you can't figure it out, I wouldn't worry about it. Obviously, if you drop 5 lbs every day, that's a problem. You might jump back up tomorrow, or it might just have been time for your body to let some weight go. It's not always linear. Check this out: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Hi - yeah, I weigh under the same conditions - when I get up I go to the bathroom, and then a quick weigh au naturel.

Part of me is wondering if it's more to do with the fact the past few days I've weighed in at: 191lb, 190lb, 190lb, 185lb - really it could just be my body catching up. I expected to lose a bit this week anyway, It's just a bit surprising after 24 hours haha!

Thanks both. =]
  • damianjh
    damianjh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen to me as well. Sometimes the scale won't change for a while and then suddenly, whoosh, I lose 2 pounds overnight. I think one or more of the reasons stated above should explain the reason.

Yeah, I mean, I'm sure it's all perfectly normal and natural and just the way of things - it just left me a bit puzzled is all =]
    And these explanations go a long way to explaining it haha!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Since you are new to this and have already found how variable the scales can be be sure that you take some before photos and measurements. There will be times the scale will not budge but you will be able to see change in theses other measurements.