Ladies, is Tom sabbotaging your diet?

Options

Replies

• daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will stall/gain for 4 days before TOM. Two days after it starts, wooooosh. But I don't want to exercise at all during TOM. Yes, I have cravings but some months are easier than others. I usually will sneak in a treat most days anyways.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Nope. And it's called your "period" or "menstruation."

I actually prefer to call it shark week.
    HAH! That's what I call it too! I usually lose weight though. I might get cravings for like a day before I get it, but I know why I have them so try to ignore them. Then the rest of the time during, I usually have to force myself to eat because my appetite goes to crap. If I don't make myself eat during that time, the next couple days after it's over I feel famished and want to eat everything in sight.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I tend to give into it. But my bad period usually only lasts 3 or 4 days.
    I am on birth control. I don't know if that helps shorten the duration of the cravings.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Nope. And it's called your "period" or "menstruation."

I actually prefer to call it shark week.

Awesome. I am remembering that. LOL
  • paigenevaeh
    paigenevaeh Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This Tom?

myspacetom.jpg

LMAO exactly who I thought of!

My appetite is a bit bigger - but I crave tuna sandwiches during my period. I don't have sweets in my house so that's never an issue. Pretty sure a few tuna sarnies over 2 days won't kill me.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a nightmare. It's normally the week before I'm due that's worst for me. I have 1-3 days where I have the worst cravings ever. Generally if I don't give into those cravings I'm the moodiest cow ever.
  • RedheadMads
    RedheadMads Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No, every time I see Tom Hiddleston I pretty much drool

oh Loki......*sigh*
  • welshpoppy
    welshpoppy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I gain 5lbs and takes around a week to sort out and I crave sweet things it makes me so mad!!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I think our metabolisms actually increase slightly during our periods. So, our appetite increases. We also may experience a little water retention that, combined with our heightened appetites, makes us feel like we're gaining weight.

^^^This! I read this a while back some where too. A woman's body need more energy during certain times in our cycle, leading to hunger and cravings. But Cavewomen just didn't have that much chocolate around :laugh:

I actually often have my best losses in the week before, if I can control my eating somewhat. Or the other way around....I can overeat and not gain then. Not so in the week after. I can often be very on track with my eating and exercise and the scale won't budge. I have learned to accept this differences during my cycle....mostly :wink: not always.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,666 Member
    Options
    not for me. Though by the sounds of it, I'm not like most. I don't get moody or crampy. I don't feel ravenous or have any cravings. I also don't see any weight gain during that week either. I don't know if this is because I am on bc or not. sorry, i'm probably not much help lol
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for excuses. You get a period. You feel more hungry. Work with that.
  • Amandainyaface
    Options
    I'm on birth-control but still feel that way lol. But maybe it'll work for you. Try and ask your doctor about it.
  • lindsayoles
    lindsayoles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I swear my TOM can do one or the other. But of course, my husband and I started using fitnesspal last Monday to track our weight and exercise goals and we both were doing great, until my TOM came on Thursday. Thursday morning I was down almost 4 pounds from Sunday. My weigh in this morning, only down 1 pound. We are going to the gym today and my TOM should be over by tomorrow, so I am will re weigh myself then. It really is hard not to let it get you down. Especially in my case, when my husband has lost almost 8 pounds this week. We are doing % goals together...he has flown by 2.5% and is close to 5%...and I am still 4 pounds away from 2.5%. Oh well...just keep going!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Seriously! Every time my tom comes around there is 2 weeks where all I want is garbage and i completely sabbotage my diet and have zero self control. Does anyone else have this problem? Does birth control help?

It's hard to answer based off of just this. Some women do have more difficult menstrual cycles and benefit from the BCP. Since you'd have to go to your doctor anyway to get the pill, you may as well ask your gyno. Your doc can help you figure out your symptoms and what to do about them.

If I had two weeks of increased appetite or cravings that I could attribute to menstruation, I'd ask my doctor. I would probably want to know if there were any other remedies I could try before the pill (magnesium, calcium, diet), but sometimes, meds are the answer.
  • Aes37850
    Options
    Seriously! Every time my tom comes around there is 2 weeks where all I want is garbage and i completely sabbotage my diet and have zero self control. Does anyone else have this problem? Does birth control help?

As far as birth control vs none, I think I am more hungry with it, or it lasts longer. However, if I don't have birth control I'm in pain 75% of the month! Anyway, It's right around pms time for me. I know I can feel the hunger coming in. So what I'm doing is making sure I fill up on protein really well to help me feel fuller (chicken and salad! Yum!). I did make some cookies, chocolate oatmeal no bake, but I got everything counted out and it's about 128 per cookie. Which may seem like a lot, but they're good size cookies and filled with chocolate! I have enough calories budgeted that I could fit in one or two. But I think eating chicken is really helping me fill up without being so hungry! So my advice is low cal protein all the way!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I swear my TOM can do one or the other. But of course, my husband and I started using fitnesspal last Monday to track our weight and exercise goals and we both were doing great, until my TOM came on Thursday. Thursday morning I was down almost 4 pounds from Sunday. My weigh in this morning, only down 1 pound. We are going to the gym today and my TOM should be over by tomorrow, so I am will re weigh myself then. It really is hard not to let it get you down. Especially in my case, when my husband has lost almost 8 pounds this week. We are doing % goals together...he has flown by 2.5% and is close to 5%...and I am still 4 pounds away from 2.5%. Oh well...just keep going!

Hon, don't try to keep up with hubby in percent loss lol That's setting yourself up for failure. Just be happy that every pound you lose gets you that much closer to goal and makes you that much healthier!
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Give it a couple days. Whatever weight came on will come off. Happens to me almost every month. I shoot up a few lbs but then a few day after it's over I lose it again plus some. Just stick with your routine. This last time I gained 2 and when it was over I had lost 4 :)
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

Don't try to deprive yourself. Just remember moderation is the key. I'm a junk food junkie. I love all kinds of junk food but I've learned to have it in moderation. I don't know if BC would help. From what I remember BC makes if harder to lose weight. Not sure if that is true though.
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    If your craving something on your TOM it's due to lack of something else usually iron.
    Google: if you crave this you really need this <-- that will show you what you REALLY need
    I up my fruit, drink my 3-4L water a day, stop drinking alcohol and coffee, and up my nutrients from veggies and I keep my sodium super low around 200-500mg so I can usually stay the same/ lose weight on my TOM, 0 bloating.
    As for the birth control part, idk :/ I don't take it.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have to have a few little dove chocolates!!! I had 4 today!!