Is a 12 minute mile too slow?

Options

Replies

• drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I don't even run that fast! I'm about 14-15 minute mile and I'm ok with that - usually. It's hard not to compare yourself to others but try not to. I would be thrilled to run a 12 min mile, LOL. Each time I go out, I just try to beat the time before - even if it's only by a few seconds. I've completed the C25K and am now doing 3 runs a week - one "easy" run of anywhere from 3-5 k, an interval run (on the treadmill, so I know what speed I'm going) and a "long" run which I'm increasing the time by 1 minute each week and usually, since I'm increasing the time, the distance is increasing little by little as well, but I go at least 5K. I'm not training for anything specific so I'm just running for the enjoyment of it right now.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all, I was running a 13.5 minute mile when I started so you are already doing better than I was! Now just over two years later and a lot of inability to run from an ankle fracture and patella femoral syndrome of the fall/winter I am running a 10 minute mile.

You will get better over time, just keep it up and you will notice your times getting better and better.
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere I do 14 minute miles, was doing 20 (I was very out of shape, I know this!) you're doing great, keep it up!
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Glad I thought to look this up, because I was feeling pretty bummed that 12min/mi seemed awfully darn slow. Ok, so before that, who knows what I was running... because I never did. I remember fighting hard to finish the mile in under, I think, 10 min for that Presidential fitness test they made you do in school, and I never worked out then and remember struggling, but doing it, so it was a rude awakening that now, I'm finally getting in shape, and I'm not even close to that! Well, at least I have a starting point, and hopefully my friends will be patient with me at our mud/obstacle 5k coming up.

But, I should embrace the accomplishments, and now I have something to focus on improving. Right? (Trying to sell it to myself here. ;)).
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I run a 12 minute mile. I don't care if that's slower that a herd of turtles crawling through molasses. I ran it. That makes me a runner so I'm pleased with that slow run. Lol.
  • Targonis
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but I am sure I am not the only one who ran across this thread while doing a search. I started working on losing weight back at the beginning of May of this year(2013), and progressed from walking twice a day, 1.2 miles each to the point where I can now run 6.2 miles straight. Now, one thing that is very very helpful when it comes to the subject of what speed is best is to get a heart rate monitor. The heart rate monitor will let you easily see how hard your heart is working, and THAT is what will let you know if you are pushing too hard or too little.

First, if your heart rate is HIGH, then that will limit how long your body will be willing to keep going, almost more than anything else. For myself, if my heart rate is upward of 165 beats per minute, I KNOW I can't sustain that for more than maybe one mile. A 151-155bpm rate on the other hand will let me go for 6.2 miles. At that point though, I feel it in my ankles, and it will take a few more weeks before I want to run any further than that. My normal run, sticking to that rule of 151-155bpm has me doing around an 11 minute, 45 second mile, which translates to roughly a 5.2 mile per hour average speed. When I do a 5K run now, I am aiming for a 10 minute, 20 second mile on my next run, and I generally do the 5K(3.1 miles) in around 33-34 minutes.

So, that is the thing to look at for each person, how fast is your heart beating for the speed you are running. Those who are in GREAT shape have the advantage that their heart doesn't have to work as hard when they are running, so they can run faster while their body is working just as hard. For those new to running, myself included, our bodies are not nearly as efficient when it comes to running, so we do what we can, and over time, it will increase. I have noticed over the past several weeks that my heart rate IS slowly starting to go down while running at these speeds, and as it goes down, it allows me to increase my pace SLIGHTLY. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, you won't see the effect of heart rate on how well you feel on a run.

I STRONGLY suggest a decent watch based heart rate monitor for EVERYONE, and I wish I had bought mine earlier in my journey toward losing weight and getting into better shape. I picked up a Polar RS300X for $90, and while I do wish it had more features, as a beginner monitor, it does the job well enough for the moment. Each person is different, you will need to figure out what your actual maximum heart rate is over time, but you WILL see that if you watch your heart rate, and just aim to keep your heart rate down, you can go longer distances, and if you increase your pace, you will find yourself unable to go very far. You will still need to listen to your body to avoid hurting your ankles, shins, and knees, but using heart rate instead of TIME as my guide on a run, it has allowed me to go from BARELY able to do a 3.1 mile run to now barely able to do a 6.2 mile run in only one month.

So, if you need to stick with a 12 minute mile to keep your heart in the zone to let you run longer distances, then stick with it. I will also point out that your height and weight have a huge amount to do with speeds. Those who are taller will have longer legs generally, and that will let them run faster for the same amount of physical effort. Those who need to lose weight are hauling all that extra weight with them as they run, and that also mean you are doing a LOT of extra work. I've managed to drop 28 pounds since May 1st, and that has a lot to do with the improvements I have seen in my ability to run. I still want to drop another 36 pounds, so I have a lot of room for improvement.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but I am sure I am not the only one who ran across this thread while doing a search. I started working on losing weight back at the beginning of May of this year(2013), and progressed from walking twice a day, 1.2 miles each to the point where I can now run 6.2 miles straight. Now, one thing that is very very helpful when it comes to the subject of what speed is best is to get a heart rate monitor. The heart rate monitor will let you easily see how hard your heart is working, and THAT is what will let you know if you are pushing too hard or too little.

First, if your heart rate is HIGH, then that will limit how long your body will be willing to keep going, almost more than anything else. For myself, if my heart rate is upward of 165 beats per minute, I KNOW I can't sustain that for more than maybe one mile. A 151-155bpm rate on the other hand will let me go for 6.2 miles. At that point though, I feel it in my ankles, and it will take a few more weeks before I want to run any further than that. My normal run, sticking to that rule of 151-155bpm has me doing around an 11 minute, 45 second mile, which translates to roughly a 5.2 mile per hour average speed. When I do a 5K run now, I am aiming for a 10 minute, 20 second mile on my next run, and I generally do the 5K(3.1 miles) in around 33-34 minutes.

So, that is the thing to look at for each person, how fast is your heart beating for the speed you are running. Those who are in GREAT shape have the advantage that their heart doesn't have to work as hard when they are running, so they can run faster while their body is working just as hard. For those new to running, myself included, our bodies are not nearly as efficient when it comes to running, so we do what we can, and over time, it will increase. I have noticed over the past several weeks that my heart rate IS slowly starting to go down while running at these speeds, and as it goes down, it allows me to increase my pace SLIGHTLY. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, you won't see the effect of heart rate on how well you feel on a run.

I STRONGLY suggest a decent watch based heart rate monitor for EVERYONE, and I wish I had bought mine earlier in my journey toward losing weight and getting into better shape. I picked up a Polar RS300X for $90, and while I do wish it had more features, as a beginner monitor, it does the job well enough for the moment. Each person is different, you will need to figure out what your actual maximum heart rate is over time, but you WILL see that if you watch your heart rate, and just aim to keep your heart rate down, you can go longer distances, and if you increase your pace, you will find yourself unable to go very far. You will still need to listen to your body to avoid hurting your ankles, shins, and knees, but using heart rate instead of TIME as my guide on a run, it has allowed me to go from BARELY able to do a 3.1 mile run to now barely able to do a 6.2 mile run in only one month.

So, if you need to stick with a 12 minute mile to keep your heart in the zone to let you run longer distances, then stick with it. I will also point out that your height and weight have a huge amount to do with speeds. Those who are taller will have longer legs generally, and that will let them run faster for the same amount of physical effort. Those who need to lose weight are hauling all that extra weight with them as they run, and that also mean you are doing a LOT of extra work. I've managed to drop 28 pounds since May 1st, and that has a lot to do with the improvements I have seen in my ability to run. I still want to drop another 36 pounds, so I have a lot of room for improvement.

Fantastic post, thanks!
  • garfreed
    Options
    I ran today for the first time in a long time. I ran an hour. 5 miles. It was a terrific work out. I think a 12 minute mile is just fine for a beginner. I'm no expert, but for myself, the duration of a run is more important than speed.
  • CatKin76
    CatKin76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just ran 1.07 mile in 12 minutes and 17 seconds and I'm damn proud of it for my first run in over 20 years !!! It's set a mark now and hopefully each run I do may improve a little more but I'm doing this to get fitter and improve my life, not to win any race !! :-)
  • djxil
    djxil Posts: 357
    Options
    I just started seriously walking a week or so ago and my minute miles "run" between the 15's and 20's, so no, you are fine at 12 as a beginner, in fact, I believe, that is exceptional. You will be between the golden 9 to 10 mark in short order. Remember, you are teaching your body, it takes time to learn. Keep going.
  • GeminiBridget
    GeminiBridget Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    No it is not, especially if you're new to running! You can be working at your optimum THR at that 12 minute mile. You will know when you are ready to pick up the pace. I started running 10 years ago and I started out slowly, I would run 1 lap around the track fast, then briskly walk the other 3. Over a month's time I'd increase that speed until I was able to run all 4 at 12 minutes. Over time I was able to get my mile down to 8 minutes. So keep up the good work! Kudos to you for getting out there!
  • Mountah
    Mountah Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A 12:00min/mile is a lot faster than most people can run. You're doing awesome! That being said I feel it is a dangerous practice to be comparing your speed and abilities with others. It should take time to build up your speed and distance as a runner. Trying to go too far too fast will result in injury.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Lol, I still run a slow 14 minute mile. :laugh: I don't run for endurance or racing though. I do it just for the cardio benefit and to burn calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just started the C25K program and I can only maintain a mile "run" at 3.5 mph - about a 17 minute mile.

I can walk at 4.0 - 4.5 easily. I can run up to 5.0, but I can't maintain it over a minute.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I started running at the beginning of August. I was running about a 13 - 14 minute mile then and I hated running. I kept with it and it clicked this time. My best 5K now is at a 10:30 minute/mile. Stick with it and in time it will get better. Do intervals and slowly increase distance. I'm working on intervals now and hope that will help my endurance and pace. I'm trying to work my way up to a 10K. Nothing to be ashamed at with a 12 min/mile!!
  • ReadyToBeMeAt160
    ReadyToBeMeAt160 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Certainly not. The speed will come as your body adapts and becomes more efficient. Finish up your couch to 5k (which is excellent) then look for a next stage plan. A good mix of easy runs and interval work later on will bring it along nicely.

Your 12min mile is a lot faster than the people sat on the couch are achieving......

This is great to hear! I'm doing the C25K - am supposed to "jog" 9 minutes straight today. My "jog" started at a 4.5mph, then i was doing around a 5-5.2. But this last week stuck to the 4.5mph again - i know i couldn't sustain a 5.2 for 7-9 minutes :-P

but its good hearing that the place to pick up speed is afterwards.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, "you do you, doll," but I also want to point out that for *every single person on earth except one,* someone is faster. And that fastest person is fastest by like a hundredth of a second.

You run. You enjoy it. You do you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Too slow for what?

Too slow to run away from an 10 minute mile angry bear? Yep, you're boned.
    Too slow to run away from a 15 minute mile mile brain-eating zombie? No way, you got this.

Seriously, your pace is a personal thing. Unless you are planning on going to the Olympics, your pace means approximately squat, and should not be compared to any other runner. You say yourself your friends have been running for years. They probably didn't start at a 9 minute pace. And if they mock you tell them your friend stumblin' from MFP has been running for a year and runs a 7 minute mile - they may find the comparison game is less fun when they are the slower ones.

My pace goal is always simply 'faster'.