sandwhiches

Options
I love to make sandwhiches (Roast beef especially) although they are VERY HIGH in sodium. i can easily kill a days worth of sodium with breakfast and lunch. Any ideas to help cut sodium more or "cancel the sodium out" Feel free to go check out my diary.(ignore yesterdays dinner binge it was date night for hubby and i first time alone together in like 2 years!)

Replies

• Bama56
    Bama56 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    don't use processed meats, cook it yourself and a you will remove a large chunk of that sodium.
  • kelseyjsnyder
    kelseyjsnyder Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how to make roast beef.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sodium does not matter if you drink enough water.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Dietary potassium balances sodium.
  • Bama56
    Options
    if you want a simple way to do it, just stick a beef roast in the slow cooker with some aerobatics like celery, onion and/or garlic. if you are hesitant about cooking larger cuts of meat a slow cooker is your best friend.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options

buy beef, wrap in foil. put in oven until roasted. google times for the size of joint you use. its really that simple
  • Bama56
    Options
    Sodium does not matter if you drink enough water.

?...not exactly.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I opt for the lower sodium lunch meats.

You can cut the sodium in other parts of your diet to balance if you prefer. Lower sodium condiments for example, and no salt added canned tomatoes or beans. Just have to learn where to cut it and where to leave it, and what works best for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can buy lower sodium lunch meats.
  • seever
    seever Posts: 30
    Options
    If you're eating at home, make the sandwich open face (one slice of bread) is another option. This is easiest to handle if you toast the bread. Doesn't work well for packed lunches, though is another angle you can consider.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Roasts are quite simple - you only need an oven proof dish big enough to hold your chosen piece of meat. Put the meat in it and put it in a preheated oven ( temperature varies a little depending on the oven- around 350 F to 400F is a reasonable guide). You can add herbs spices, garlic etc. Cooking time depends on the size of the piece of meat and how you like it cooked but generally if you stab it with a skewer and the juices are clear (not bloody) then it will be done. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for about 15 or 20 minutes before you slice it.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Try looking in the recipes section; slow cooking meat seems to be a favorite on this site. And why not? It's easy to toss a whole ham or bird into a slow cooker with some vegetables and let it cook while you're at work, and if you aren't cooking for a large family, there's plenty in leftovers afterwards. On that note, though, high sodium content isn't necessarily bad if other things you eat have none/hardly any at all. The body does need at least some sodium, after all.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go on line and read a recipe. Imagine that!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    make a pot roast and slice it thin. you can even make it in a crockpot
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    - lower sodium lunch meats

- roast your own meat/poultry...roasting meat and poultry is fairly simple and mostly just requires some time. Plenty of recipes out there...just find one that sounds good and follow the directions...EZ.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Dietary potassium balances sodium.

Plus this ^^^^^^ you get potassium in most vegetables and fruits (bananas have a fair bit) also milk.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my small home deli slicer was worth the money for when i make roast beef.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Why are you watching your sodium?

Get enough potassium, drink enough fluids, and exercise.
  • potatovine
    Options
    Use left over meats from the roast the night before (cook extra even so you have some left over for lunches).