Hamstring injury

Options
I was working out with my son's football team this weekend and felt an awful pop in my hamstring while doing a sprint. I'm 48 and run 2-3X/week and have pretty good flexibility but this was a whopper. I iced it several times the first day and applied heat on day 2 (today is day 3) and it's still pretty painful. Without too much detail; it felt as though I had a huge bruise (grapefruit sized) in my lower cheek which has since reduced in size considerably...but is still there. I have very limited flexibility now and even walking from the parking lot to the office is awkward and a little painful if I take a full stride. Should I continue with the heat treatment? I always thought (I know...BAD idea) that hamstring injuries were something that is just a matter of time to heal. Any opinions, or feedback or recommendations? Many thanks in advance and for all great advice I've gotten from this site in the past.

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ouchie!

I'm not sure about the treatment. Other than time.
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Always taught after 48 hrs,switch back and forth ice then heat. Revs up the circulation of the blood which in turn makes you heal faster. I f in a week no improvement see a doctor. Should improve unless its a tear.[thats thinking the worst I try to think positve in every situation. GOOD LUCK! iF it hurts also see doctor sooner,pulls don't hurt,just tight!
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    If you are still having problems almost a week later, then you prolly need to have it looked at by a doc, cause you might have tore something worse than normal. Since you are a runner and flexable, and having problems, I would go have it looked at.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The bruising without a direct blow to the area would indicate something is torn. I'd go ahead and see a doctor to be on the safe side.
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, rest and stretching are the only thing that will help with it. You might also want to go to a doctor. There maybe a tear or something.
  • elenehan
    elenehan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Two week update; yes it was a tear. Most of the pain is gone, I even got in a hike over Thanksgiving. Thank you all for your great advice. You're absolutely right, only time will heal this one, though I have a green light for the exercise bike.