Too old for exercising???

Options
Ok, so I went to a place called sky zone this morning. I took a class called skyrobics. It is a circuit class done on trampolines. There were a bunch of young skinny things in this class that could jump their socks off! This was my first class and they last about 1 hour. I did 30 min. and couldn't do anymore:( The class was hard to follow as there were about 20 people trying to do different exercises and I could not keep up! Very disappointed and discouraged! Any thoughts???

Replies

• Noiram55
    Options
    Ok, so I went to a place called sky zone this morning. I took a class called skyrobics. It is a circuit class done on trampolines. There were a bunch of young skinny things in this class that could jump their socks off! This was my first class and they last about 1 hour. I did 30 min. and couldn't do anymore:( The class was hard to follow as there were about 20 people trying to do different exercises and I could not keep up! Very disappointed and discouraged! Any thoughts???

Never too late to exercise. My mother went dancing twice a week until she was 92. ????
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Keep working on it and your endurance will improve. Last year I couldn't bike for more than 5 minutes at a time, yesterday I went for a ride with my 20 year old son and we rode for 46 miles.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Of course you're not too old. We have people in their 90's exercising at our Y. You're just more out of shape than those 20 year olds. Keep at it and you'll find it easier each time. Sounds like fun but exhausting!
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Never too old for exercising. And 46 is NOT old! I'm right there with you.

Some exercises are not for certain people. I tried boxing, and couldn't get the jab-uppercut-cross sequence right when the instructor was calling the shots.

Now I run.

Try it again- it might take several times to get the moves right, or do what I did, and find another exercise.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    No one is too old to improve their physical fitness, and you are not that old anyway.

That said if you're out of shape maybe intense trampoline based circuit training wasn't the place to start. Unless you really liked the class and it's motivating for you, maybe start slower and ease upward in your activity level.

I find that pushing too hard sets me up for failure and discouragement. But being just a bit more conservative I can see progress every week, sometimes every workout, which provides continuous encouragement and motivation.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter if you get all the moves right.. just have fun and move you will still benefit from it.. never too old to exercise.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It has to do with fitness, not age. Keep exercising and you'll get fitter.
  • maktastic
    Options
    You managed 30 minutes at a new class when out of your comfort zone - call it a win!!
  • TheNewMrsMahone
    Options
    Hi!!

Okay so you are definitely NOT to old for exercising! You are never too old to exercising. You are just out of shape a bit and need to be more active. Maybe you should just start with doing little workouts everyday and eating healthy. Good luck and have fun!! :smile:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    No one is EVER too old for exercising.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,712 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you and exercise a lot. Due to a neurological issue that affects balance, I can't do classes. I do cardio on the elliptical and lift weights.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Never too old to be healthy. Eventually I discovered what it was causing me poor breathing and pain and all manor of health issues and now I am healthier and fitter than I have been for 20 years and most definitely the last 12 when I started using walking sticks. Made it up Glastonbury Tor this autumn. Go for it. me I'm only 64.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    My sister took up running marathons in her late 40s. I don't think she had run since high school before that. I know that I used to walk a lot but in my late 40s I took up much less ambitious running. I run 5 miles a few days a week.

You are never too old to become active but everyone needs to start out slower. You did great to make it 30 minutes in such a strenuous class. If you enjoyed it then keep going. If you found it wasn't for you (I'm totally not a class person as I have 2 left feet) then try something else.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    You're not too old to exercise you're only 46! You just need to build up to the hardcore cardio stuff. Have a word with the gym staff and ask what classes are more suitable for beginners
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    The key to exercising as a beginner is not to overdo it. Don't kill your joints and don't significantly increase your work volume in too short a time.

A trampoline work out sounds ineffective and possibly dangerous. Bouncing exercises may be trendy but they may also be for a younger crowd who are into "trends." And their leaner bodies can handle the impact better than bodies that have carried excess weight for a long time.

But it's so important to build up some cardiovascular fitness and functional strength.

Why not start out with a gentle exercise like walking ? Also do resistance workouts.
    Proceed to other low impact activities like the elliptical or swimming.

You're not too old to exercise.

If you have previous injuries you may need to work around them or do things that are lighter on the joints.

For instance I have a long-standing shoulder injury and have stopped all overhead and chest exercises, begun rotator cuff exercises with light resistance bands, and focused on the lower body instead. If my knees bother me I make sure to run in a way that minimizes impact, check my shoes, and do a different activity the next workout.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the bounce class my gm offers. It reminds me of step class on a trampoline. I work out regularly including step class. However, as a 50 something I have do desire to be jumping up and down. The days they have that class I do the Arc trainer. As we any class you improve over time. The key is doing what works for you and what you enjoy. For year, I would do the kick class. Now I enjoy it.
  • FMUP
    FMUP Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi- Try walking instead. It is really hard to stay motivated in that type of environment! Plus walking is easier on your joints than all that jumping. Find a walking buddy if you want to exercise with someone. And DON'T compare yourself to those "skinny' people. Everyone in beautiful - you have always been... now, you are just working on being healthy! :-) BTW - you are NEVER too old to get healthier! Good luck!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I'm not too far from your age, and at the new gym I go to for the past few months, most are younger than me, and I haven't seen a single gym-goer in there who is stronger than me on any lift. One trainer is stronger than me in bench and a few lifts, but guess what? He's 40 too :) So no, 40s are definitely not too old, just work at it and get back into shape :)