Trouble eating enough

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe people who end up here because they want to lose weight, can't eat 1200 calories in a day.

me wondering the same thing...
    This is my opinion only, but generally we gain weight because the bulk of our calories come from high calorie foods, such as too much fast food, or too may sweets, perhaps too many chips, etc. The first thought for most people on a diet is to cut out all those "bad" foods and eat "healthy," thus decreasing our calorie consumption. If you're eating low calorie foods it's going to be difficult meeting that calorie goal.

Most operative phrase is too many, which many "dieters" don't realize is the real problem.

To the OP, add some fattier foods in, such as some nuts or peanut butter, bran, barely legumes, beans, etc. These add more calories to your food. Also, don't be afraid to eat a treat now and then, just eat it in moderation.
  • sigridolsen
    sigridolsen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have about 2 oz of cheese with an apple.
  • Starz4Lynn
    Options
    This is interesting to me, and I will explain...I recently started the Fuhrman Eat to Live lifestyle. It is very easy to not get in 1200 calories ( my number is 1300 ) when you are eating fruits, veggies, beans, seeds and nuts. 3 Bean chili ( veggie style ) is only 80 calories per cup. Extremely filling, toss in a salad, and fruit for the day. Eating the skin of fruit also packs in fiber, and I use my vitamix a lot. This is the best plan I have ever tried, and I'm losing a pound a day ! Of course, if I sat down and snacked on cheese the calories would go up quickly....which is how I got here. :) Oh, by the way...I am adding oil to nothing, no "diet" food, or artificial sweeteners. I have not had 1300 calories in a day since I started eating like this...LOVE it !
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    Hi there!
    I recently started my weight loss journey, on the first of January, though ironically not a new year's resolution.
    After cutting the junk food out of my diet, I've been finding that I have trouble meeting the minimum 1200 net calories a day. I'm just not hungry, and have to force myself to eat to even get close. I can get to 1200 gross, or even a bit over, but factoring in the calories burned from exercise leaves me needing a few hundred more than I'm currently getting.
    Any advice?

I had the same problem. I was so used to grabbing a cheap frozen pizza and just added more cheese that when I started making my own food I was lost.

My trick is to add chia seeds and shelled hemp seeds which gives nutrients and calories, I have peanut butter and fruit on crackers if I'm low on calories and there are always nuts that are easy to add to any recipe.
  • Starz4Lynn
    Options
    I wouldn't be so worried about the calories if you are eating healthy foods. If you are here to lose weight, don't worry about the calories, ( unless you go over ). The dairy will put tons of calories in your daily quota...but why do you want to do that ? Eat as much good food as you want, no need to have portion control...eat until you are stuffed !!! If you are eating the things you should be eating for a healthy life, your calorie intake will be low. Check out Eat To Live, Dr Fuhrman ...it's amazing ! Don't give yourself the opportunity to deter wt loss, with the "excuse" of trying to get in more calories. I promise, if you do this you will be eating ice cream, cheese and candy bars. Watch Forks over Knives, and The China Study....read up on the Plant based diet. Let us know how your doing !
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    I wouldn't be so worried about the calories if you are eating healthy foods. If you are here to lose weight, don't worry about the calories, ( unless you go over ). The dairy will put tons of calories in your daily quota...but why do you want to do that ? Eat as much good food as you want, no need to have portion control...eat until you are stuffed !!! If you are eating the things you should be eating for a healthy life, your calorie intake will be low. Check out Eat To Live, Dr Fuhrman ...it's amazing ! Don't give yourself the opportunity to deter wt loss, with the "excuse" of trying to get in more calories. I promise, if you do this you will be eating ice cream, cheese and candy bars. Watch Forks over Knives, and The China Study....read up on the Plant based diet. Let us know how your doing !

Forks over Knives is a joke with no basis in science whatsoever.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

The China Study have major flaws

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/the-china-study-more-flaws-exposed-in-the-vegan-bible/
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be so worried about the calories if you are eating healthy foods. If you are here to lose weight, don't worry about the calories, ( unless you go over ). The dairy will put tons of calories in your daily quota...but why do you want to do that ?
    I don't know... so that your body has the energy it needs to, you know... do stuff?
  • JJananii
    JJananii Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You'll find your enthusiasm for losing weight causes you to view food and eating somewhat negatively at first and you'll begin to subconsciously reward yourself for eating low amounts,

^ This. It's happening to me too.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe people who end up here because they want to lose weight, can't eat 1200 calories in a day.

This is my opinion only, but generally we gain weight because the bulk of our calories come from high calorie foods, such as too much fast food, or too may sweets, perhaps too many chips, etc. The first thought for most people on a diet is to cut out all those "bad" foods and eat "healthy," thus decreasing our calorie consumption. If you're eating low calorie foods it's going to be difficult meeting that calorie goal.

Most operative phrase is too many, which many "dieters" don't realize is the real problem.

To the OP, add some fattier foods in, such as some nuts or peanut butter, bran, barely legumes, beans, etc. These add more calories to your food. Also, don't be afraid to eat a treat now and then, just eat it in moderation.

I don't disagree with your opinion. What's beyond me is I think I know how little food 1200 is about and how hard to feel satisfied with this type of food choice. I am not talking about "feeling full", but a satisfation that makes me want to stay on "diet" (just figure of speech, I know people here hate the word "diet"). But I realized as well that everybody is different. A small person might not need this much calorie to be ok anyway. But to me, it's always a struggle. Many mentioned nuts. To me this is the biggest deal breaker. One serving of nuts is around 200 calories. If I don't count my almonds/measuring my sunflower seeds, I can easily go beyond one or 2 servings without feeling "full" or satisfied.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    1) As per your diary you are (except for one day) well over 1200 each day. So well done
    2) I agree to include more calorie dense foods like others suggested, and not cut out food you enjoy just because it's got bad rep. Everything in moderation. If you let yourself eat whatever, you are less likely to fail at this long term
    3) Your protein intake seems a bit low. i would aim a bit higher, MFP is notorious for its not so ideal division of macros. This is to help prevent muscle loss along with fat loss (paired with a good exercise regime)

Just my 2 cents...

Edited to say I was on 1200 in the beginning for about a month or 2. I felt ok and full. When I was switching to 1500 I couldn't imagine how am I ever going to eat that much food. Now I have to hold back not to go over 1800-1900. It's all about what you are used to.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    This is interesting to me, and I will explain...I recently started the Fuhrman Eat to Live lifestyle. It is very easy to not get in 1200 calories ( my number is 1300 ) when you are eating fruits, veggies, beans, seeds and nuts. 3 Bean chili ( veggie style ) is only 80 calories per cup. Extremely filling, toss in a salad, and fruit for the day. Eating the skin of fruit also packs in fiber, and I use my vitamix a lot. This is the best plan I have ever tried, and I'm losing a pound a day ! Of course, if I sat down and snacked on cheese the calories would go up quickly....which is how I got here. :) Oh, by the way...I am adding oil to nothing, no "diet" food, or artificial sweeteners. I have not had 1300 calories in a day since I started eating like this...LOVE it !
    That's great that you've found a way to keep yourself full and to meet your calorie goal, but please realize that to lose a pound a day you would have to eat 3,500 less than your TDEE total daily energy expenditure) each day. In order to really lose a pound a day, you would have to have a TDEE of at least 4,800 or so, which I doubt you have.

Weight naturally fluctuates from day to day, and any of that quick weight loss when you start changing your eating habits is water.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I don't disagree with your opinion. What's beyond me is I think I know how little food 1200 is about and how hard to feel satisfied with this type of food choice. I am not talking about "feeling full", but a satisfation that makes me want to stay on "diet" (just figure of speech, I know people here hate the word "diet"). But I realized as well that everybody is different. A small person might not need this much calorie to be ok anyway. But to me, it's always a struggle. Many mentioned nuts. To me this is the biggest deal breaker. One serving of nuts is around 200 calories. If I don't count my almonds/measuring my sunflower seeds, I can easily go beyond one or 2 servings without feeling "full" or satisfied.
    I understand your struggle.

I tried the 1,200 calories a day and I tried cutting out all fatty foods,-no nuts, no almond butter, nothing that was "fattening," as well as all processed sugar. I didn't last very long. As soon as I realized that I can have what I when I want, I started adding those high fat foods into my diet and started feeling much more energetic. I even have sweets once in awhile now and am okay with it.

The way I put 35 pounds back on was by eating the sugary foods, which generally have way more calories in one serving than the foods I eat now. When I was overweight, my serving was actually two normal servings in one. You know, that "big" piece of cake twice the size of what other people were having? Now I could not do this.

1 ounce of nuts has around 170 calories and is enough to fill me up. I measure, close the package, eat, and move on. :smile:
  • fluffy_fuwa
    fluffy_fuwa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    nuts, eggs, avocadoes, peanut butter, milk, cheese, ice cream, pop tarts, smoothie with banana and frozen fruit, etc

I SURE hope you're just joking about the whole ice cream, and pop tarts recommendation. That's anything but healthy. I will never hear a doctor prescribe to me to eat pop tarts.
    OP is more than 200 calories under goal for the day. That's about a poptart or bowl of ice cream's worth. What's wrong with that barring any medical issues witch those foods?

Hmm i can't multi Quote. People are asking me what's wrong with it as long as you have room for it. Because they're empty calories... there's really nothing nutritional about it and its loaded with high amounts of sugar which can be very adverse to your health.

I would think that's pretty obvious... I'm looking at it from a nutritional aspect. Not because, she has room for it. She could eat something that's just as delicious that would benefit her overall a lot more without having to suffer from a overdose of empty sugar calories. I suppose sometimes in a great while is ok... but don't let it be what you do on a daily basis or even consistent basis to meet your calorie goal intake.
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I thought I had this problem too, until I realized I wasn't accurately measuring my food intake. Measuring cups are not sufficient enough to measure your foods.. they are only accurate for liquids. You need to weigh your foods, and you will probably realize that you are eating more than you thought you did. But again, if that's not the case, as other people mentioned there are definitely a lot of high calorie foods you can eat to get your calorie intake up.. avocado, nut butters, eggs, dark chocolate, dates, etc.