Whats a good multi vitamin?

Options
Not a supplement or weight loss gimmick but a good daily multi vitamin for a 32yr male?

Replies

• CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you can find them (Amazon), Solgar is the brand I would recommend. I managed a chain of Heath Food Stores in the UK for 15 years, and this was the brand we sold most of.

It's not cheap, but you get a lot of bang for your buck!

Think of your digestive system as a conveyor belt. As food goes through, different nutrients are absorbed at different times during the process.

Most multi vitamins are designed to hit your stomach and dissolve. Solgar is different because they have a timed released system. Basically each ingredient is designed to be available at the correct stage of digestion, to allow for maximum absorption.

I don't know if I explained that very well, it's much easier when talking to someone than trying to put it into a few words...LOL

http://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Male-Multiple-Tablets-Count/dp/B0014GX2AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389548985&sr=8-1&keywords=solgar+men
  • hfbs616
    hfbs616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I take children's complete multivitamins. This sounds a little odd but they have all the same vitamins and minerals as most adult multivitamins and they are way cheaper. Before I wrote this I looked up a popular men's multivitamin and the nutritional facts said it had 200% of some things. I don't think people really need double of vitamin C and D, after all eating a healthy diet with fruits and vegetables should provide some of what the body needs. There were a few things in the men's vitamin that aren't in the children's but if you just want a basic multivitamin, kid vitamins do the trick. Next time you're reading the back of vitamin bottles in the grocery store check out the children's vitamins too. :smile:
  • alpacino9
    Options
    Anavita is really good.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I really like vitacost men's opti vitamin. I take one with each meal.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Garden of life - raw vitamin code for men! Or Animal Pak. Best you can get.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    IBefore I wrote this I looked up a popular men's multivitamin and the nutritional facts said it had 200% of some things. I don't think people really need double of vitamin C and D

Please remember that whilst the product may contain these higher levels, not all is able to be absorbed during the digestive process. Your body will only absorb what it needs.

A higher % is contained to ensure you get the full amount you need. Those daily recommendations are just averages. Individuals requirements differ greatly.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    A well balanced diet
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Unless a doctor has told you specifically to take a certain vitamin because you have a health condition, if you're eating a moderately balanced diet, there is no need to take a multivitamin and it may even be harmful. Best case scenario - you're making your pee very expensive. Worst case scenario - risk of long-term liver & kidney damage from the added burden of processing all the unnecessary extra vitamins.

There are versions of these articles all over the place; I just happened to have these bookmarked from the NYTimes. If you read scientific publications, find the recent study where they tested a number of popular vitamin brands to see what they actually contained. Almost all of them contained either way more or way less of what it said on the bottle. Vitamins are completely unregulated & untested - you're trusting the label, and more often than not, those labels are lying. As the years go by, the body of evidence AGAINST taking multivitamins has gotten bigger & bigger. There was a study that said a daily multivitamin may shorten your lifespan! I'd rather not slowly poison myself without knowing it, so until supplements are regulated by the FDA & there is any proof of their benefit, I won't be taking them.

(FYI, I'm in med school - not that that makes me a credible source, but I do have extensive medical & scientific background.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/dont-take-your-vitamins.html?_r=0

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/more-evidence-against-vitamin-use/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/opinion/sunday/skip-the-supplements.html
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Don't bother. They do nothing for you but give you expensive urine. Eat 4+ servings of veggies and fruits per day.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you insist on taking one, take the cheapest one available.
  • ew51719
    ew51719 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Coming from a registered nurse this: http://bit.ly/mulTI, is an excellent multivitamin. No gimmicks. I have been taking isotonix for over 15 years. Since these multivitamins are meant to be consumed as an isotonic or liquid solution your body is able to absorb them better than pills. When you take pills, your body has to work harder to break down the outer capsule layer. Instead, if you take a liquid vitamin that is the same osomolarity and pH as your body, you will maximize absorption and have increased benefits. I would also suggest isotonix brand OPC-3, calcium, digestive enzymes, and vitamin B-12! In combination your energy will be increased as well as your immune system.