Losing weight with PCOS and insulin resistance.

Options
Hey everyone I'm Daeyna and I have been trying to lose weight for a while it started about 3 years ago I realised I was gaining steady weight that no mater how I tried would not budge though I didn't know why. I have been recently diagnosed with PCOS but I am determined to make that difference, get my health under control ( I so want kids ). So just looking for a little motivation from persons in similar situations because as the saying goes who feels it knows.

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. My weight loss is very slow but it is still happening. I refuse to do low carbs like most PCOSers because it make me miserable !!!!!!
  • daedae23
    Options
    same here I really hate the low carb it makes me rather irritable, my weight lose progress is slow also but the thing is at time its gets sooo frustrating that I fee like giving up
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Slow is still progress ;)
    Have you tried something completely different? Like 5:2? intermittent fasting? Lowering calories goal? I say a method for a few months then if it does not feel right, time to change things a bit.....as long as you do not change every week, then you will only spin your wheels ;)
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    Talk with your Dr about starting metformin. It is designed the help with the insulin resistance and in the process makes losing the weight easier. Good luck.
  • daedae23
    Options
    Slow is still progress ;)
    Have you tried something completely different? Like 5:2? intermittent fasting? Lowering calories goal? I say a method for a few months then if it does not feel right, time to change things a bit.....as long as you do not change every week, then you will only spin your wheels ;)

I think I need to do that I get bored doing the same routine over and over again
  • daedae23
    Options
    Talk with your Dr about starting metformin. It is designed the help with the insulin resistance and in the process makes losing the weight easier. Good luck.

I am on metformin but it doesn't really help with weight loss for me
  • sxynanaplay
    sxynanaplay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too I lost weight before following the low glycemic index diet...i wouldn't really call it a diet its more of a life style change eating mostly fruits, veggies and lean meats and lots of WATER. Try to eat more unprocessed foods as you can. my problem is a get frustrated too because i don't see weight loss quickly and give up and binge and bad foods. I am ready to put my foot down again and get back to it. It is a very slow process but it can be done! Good luck sister!
  • lyndor90
    Options
    I have lost a good amount of weight and I have PCOS and was on metformin until recently.

The metformin, in conjunction with a good diet and exercise, does work extremely well!

You are essentially pre diabetic, So you need to eat like a diabetic - low GI foods and low/no sugar. A diet higher in protein is great for us.

The most important things with PCOS weight loss is the mindset - so you have PCOS and weight loss is meant to be harder? Well... No excuses, don't use those words as an excuse ever. EVER. You can do it!
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am the same, I have really struggled with my weight for years because of PCOS. I haven't had very good luck with doctors or prescriptions, but I have been losing a pound and a bit each week taking something called Garcinia Cambogia - it works in a similar way to Metformin I believe, helping to keep the blood sugar situation under control.

It's slow progress but it's worth it in the long run - especially like us if you want children :)
  • sharjo83
    sharjo83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HI ladies! I'm in the same boat as well. I have been diagnosed with PCOS for 5 years and have been trying to conceive for 6 years. I have done 5 rounds of clomid of varying doses and am currently on a rest period (self-imposed). I decided it was time for me to quit being disappointed in the lack of success with the fertility meds and take more accountability for my own role in my infertility. I know that thin cysters have infertility issues as well, but I'm certainly not helping by carrying around an extra 60 lbs!

Yesterday (Jan. 12) I started on the 17 Day Diet, which like many others, is not really a diet in my opinion, but is a lifestyle change and a meal plan revolving around proteins, probiotics, fruits, veggies, green tea and water. You do four cycles of 17 days each. Each cycle is different and (hopefully) is shocking your metabolism into getting on track. The first cycle is basically zero carb and non-fruit sugars, but it's only 17 days and you start adding normal foods back in. I like this approach as I get bored easily and need to change things up. I also like that all 4 cycles have meal plans for each day - saves so much work and effort!

I am using MFP to still track my calories on this plan just to make sure I'm not running a crazy calorie deficit. I am doing moderate amounts of exercise for now. I want to focus on eating right, as I've read that sustained weight loss is 75% diet and 25% exercise.

I started a blog at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sharjo83 where I will be tracking how my progress goes on this plan. I would love to hear of any other PCOS'ers who have had success with weight loss!! Good luck to everyone!!