Dare I think the word.... sick?

Options
For the last 24 hours I've really been trying hard to ignore the thought that maybe I'm getting sick, but I have been taking zinc just in case. I never get sick and haven't been sick in a long while. I'm trying to do everything I can in the next couple of days to either prevent or lessen any sickness or effects of sickness I may have. My symptoms are head cold related. I'm only a tiny bit stuffy, but have a somewhat swollen throat. I just wanted to ask all you lovely people out there for your ideas...

What are the best things you've done to combat or get over sickness quickly? (the best foods, the best products, the best exercise, etc.) your ideas are welcome and appreciated. :)

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever get sick myself, but thanks to all my lovely coworkers that have been hacking and sneezing everywhere, I am now the proud owner of a cold.
    It started out last Thursday with the worst sore throat ever, so that day I started upping my vitamin C, and went to the store and got some of that Cold-Eeze....that combined with theraflu warming flu and sore throat...and I am now over the sore throat, and just a little stuffy...
    so not sure if any of these contributed to me going through this cold quickly, but everyone at my work has been sick for about 3 weeks now, and I feel that I am already getting better........oh and make sure to drink lots, I have been drinking lots of hot water with lemon and honey, helped tremendously with that sore throat..
    get well soon!
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm coming down with something as well. My throat has been sore for about 12 hours now and i'm feeling the congestion kick in...so i'll be watching this post for ideas as well! I dont want to be sick and lose a week of healthier eating and exercising! I have been drinking plenty tea with lemon and honey and that does help lessen the soreness of my throat
  • Vivx
    Vivx Posts: 121
    Options
    iv heard eating garlic helps ! x
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The advice I have heard is that if it is mostly your head, you are okay to exercise if you feel up to it - if it moves down into your chest though, back off the exercise. Honestly, I think the best thing for getting rid of sickness is just to make sure you are getting lots of rest and fluids, mostly water. I love tea, especially if I have a sore throat, I use one of the "throat coat" varieties - there are several if you look around at the grocery store. They feel wonderful!

I hope you feel better soon!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    The zinc you are using is fantastic! Also use the echinacea tea (wellness) from seasonings line of teas, and I take the off brand of day-quil...and for some reason, CARDIO made me feel tons better (remember though - the above post that said if it's in your head, but not in your chest).

Well blessings to you!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    our family uses echinacea and colloidal silver. put a few drops of each in hot tea or juice - they are herbal remedies.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    Wow it's so funny you posted this because i'm the opposite. Everytime someone is ill around me I get it, and recently my daughter had strep throat and I can't even be in the same room with a person without catching it, and yet I never got sick this time. I look back on what in the world have I been doing different because I am still in awe that I didn't get sick. I realized what i've been doing different is eating a ton of veggies, and after I work out I get in the sauna, I think i've flushed any bad bacteria right out of my body. And i've been drinking lots of herbal teas. Not because I was feeling ill, just because i've wanted to cleanse in a natural way. I pray you are feeling 100% soon. Ginger is a good ingredient to add to your list, as well as garlic.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    For me, it all depends on the type of sick.
    Increase your fluids and eat a couple jalapeños.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I second (or third) this! I've always felt much better after working out. I don't push myself as hard as I would otherwise, but even some light aerobics can be great. I've gone to ballroom dancing lessons with the start of a migraine and come home feeling much better.

Just remember to keep hydrated! Teas are especially great, as kaitimae suggested.
    The advice I have heard is that if it is mostly your head, you are okay to exercise if you feel up to it - if it moves down into your chest though, back off the exercise. Honestly, I think the best thing for getting rid of sickness is just to make sure you are getting lots of rest and fluids, mostly water. I love tea, especially if I have a sore throat, I use one of the "throat coat" varieties - there are several if you look around at the grocery store. They feel wonderful!

I hope you feel better soon!
  • TammyMFerrara
    Options
    Hot tea with lemon and honey.Take a goodies powder too,I was working as a Cook at the time and I felt as good as new!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    lots of rest, water, hot drinks with lemon throw in a whisky if you have the cals, fab just before bed...... take care of yourself
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    ..wonderful ideas so far everyone! thank you! I forgot about garlic! I know that's supposed to be very good when you're sick and I have it in my kitchen now. :)
  • Catus
    Catus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C & Echinacea
    Hot tea
    Bay leaf tea
    V-8
    Garlic
    Gargle with Warm Saltwater
    Mucinex
    Almonds
    Onions
    Elderberry (Sambucus nigra)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on going for my run today, but will definitely watch it if my chest starts to hurt/burn. :) ..thanks for the well wishes too! :) Hopefully I'll nip this before it becomes something. :)
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    water, water, and more water.