Eating exercise calories...

Options
So do you eat the cals back you have gained from exercise ?

I am currently eating 1500cals a day plus usually between 150-200Cals burnt through exercise, for instance today I have burnt over 500 calories so I am realistically only eating over 900 is this bad or is this how it works ?

I have lost 37lbs in 2011 with MFP but just want a little advice.

T.I.A x

Replies

• amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back most of mine. But I try not to worry about it too much. Most of the time I'd guess I eat back 70% of them. Some days more, some days less. I find it helps keep me motivated, and I love food, so I can eat a bit more without feeling guilty.
  • SLN2591
    SLN2591 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you,

I cant understand though how you can burn 500 calories eat back 300 and it be a benefit you as your just undoing the work you did when you were working out thats not a bad opinion i just seriously cant figure out how it would work

xx
  • AvaWawa2008
    AvaWawa2008 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends. My goal is to create a 300-500 calorie deficit every day. I either eat that much less or exercise that many calories or a combination of both.

So today I burned 500 calories. My daily requirement counting my workout today is about 2400 so I will eat 1900 so that there is a 500 deficit. However, tomorrow I don't plan on working out so my daily requirement is 1900. So to lose weight I will eat 1400 that way there is a 500 deficit. Or I could eat 1600 and there would be a 300 deficit.

You have to factor in both. This website adds calories to your daily requirement when you add that you worked out, because you need more fuel if you work out. Even though I'm trying to lose weight, I still up my food for about 100-300 calories because I am always factoring eating less. I can't eat 1500 and then workout and burn 500 calories. That would mean I really only took in 1000 calories for the day which isn't healthy. So I would eat at least 200 more.

Sorry that was so long...I hope it makes sense.

:)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Thank you,

I cant understand though how you can burn 500 calories eat back 300 and it be a benefit you as your just undoing the work you did when you were working out thats not a bad opinion i just seriously cant figure out how it would work

xx
    The calorie goal MFP gives you has a calorie deficit built into it. And, it doesn't take into account any planned exercise, so it doesn't take those 500 extra calories into account. The deficit is based only on your normal daily activities (not your workouts). So, you have the deficit it recommends, you add extra exercise, and you make the deficit bigger than is recommended for your goals. Eating back the calories brings you back to the original deficit.

You don't undo the good work, because exercising is about so much more than just calories. It's about health, and fitness, and well-being, and body composition, and (this is especially important when you're on low calories) being able to eat more.

See also http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • SLN2591
    Options
    So I have to eat 1560 say I burn 200 which takes me to 1360 so maybe eat 100 back to make the gap less I think I understand, I just dont want to stall or become unhealthy by the way im doing it.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't. but that's because I already calculated my exercise into my calories. If you are doing it with MFP calculator then you should eat your exercise calories.
  • SLN2591
    Options
    Thank you, Im just trying to do it the best way for weight loss but also so it doesnt affect my health in the long run.

So if i eat the full or best of 1560 and exercise daily I will lose weight I suppose its a lot less than I was eating lol !