Am I the only one who isnt a fan of salads??

Options
I used to be a big fan on spinach salads & after having my son I lost alot of cravings for things I usually loved. I know salads are healthy for you, but I really cant stomach them. Am I the only one?? And if not, what are some things you eat instead? My main thing right now is soups for lunch instead of salads.

Replies

• Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I don't like salads either! I prefer my veggies cooked :smile: Have you tried just steaming the veggies you would normally put in a salad?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I love salads, but mine are usually full of a variety of good stuff (I don't want to eat a plain spinach salad). Here's my favorite (it's huge and satisfying but also low cal):
    1 cup baby spinach
    1 cup mixed salad greens
    1/2 cup cucumber
    1/2 to 1 whole medium tomato
    2 oz turkey breast (I use the lower sodium lunch meat and cut it up)
    10 sprays Wishbone Salad Spritzers - italian
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast.
    (Sometimes I add bell pepper or avocado, but not always)

I usually put a lid over the bowl and shake it up to make sure the dressing gets distributed evenly so the nutritional yeast will stick to the salad.

Soooo yummy.
  • BearfromNS
    Options
    I'm not a fan of salads either . . .I will eat Spinach Salad every now and then . . . .but not a huge fan of veggies!!! I resort to eating Fruit Source bars . . they have 2-3 servings of fruit & veggies in them . . .
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I can't help but live off of salads.... its the only thing in my college cafeteria that i can 100% control... I know exactly what is in the salads i make for myself...
  • forswearitssight
    forswearitssight Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get bored with salads after a while, but when I do eat them I'm a big fan of cesar dressing. I usually get Ken's cuz it's not creamy and very low in calories and fat. I'll usually just do that with romaine lettuce, cucumber and maybe some tuna or chicken. But, again, I get wicked bored after a while and need to get away from them for like a month lol
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    People typically think if you are on some sort of diet you need to eat salads. FALSE! I have been making homemade soup for lunch the past week because it was cold. But, my lunches typically resemble my dinner.. lean protein & veggies. I also love to make a big batch of homemade chili that I can eat for lunches for the week. Lean ground turkey or pork, diced tomatoes (canned or fresh), a couple of cans of reduced sodium beans (black, pinto, white, kidney.. whatever I have on hand) and season it up!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Salads are OK, I just don't really care for lettuce. Is there some component of salad that you don't like? A certain ingredient? Rawness? If you can figure that out, you can work around it. I'm OK with a salad as long as it has a ton of interesting stuff on it to hide the lettuce.

I'm eating a lot of frozen veggies these days, I throw them in a bowl, microwave it for a bit and then have easy veggies. Easier to keep than salad fixings also.
  • msemejuru
    Options
    I love salads now but I used to hate them. Heat kills many of the vitamins and nutrients in vegetables so I really wanted to eat them fresh so I thought I would have to endure a salad. My husband (vegetarian) weaned me onto them buy adding lots of salad ingredients to my lunch sandwiches, pitas and wraps. Now I don't mind a side salad with a meal. Try adding cranberries, feta to spinach or pecans and canned mandarin oranges to a romaine mix. Topping with lean beef, chicken or tuna can also make it more satisfying. Don't listen to the salad pushers, you don't have to eat them if you aren't in the mood. Eating healthy is hard enough without hating your meals!
  • shawnalmil
    Options
    they arent a meal to me. even with meat in them..... they are a side to me.
  • mlharris
    mlharris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way... I like the salad toppings so often just have them cut up on a plate and snack on them... I feel fuller and because I'm a picker, it works... plus I tend to have less dressing that way too....
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Salads used to make me gag...literally. My parents couldn't understand it when I was younger because most places you go, they serve a salad with the meal, and I would just sit there with my salad in front of me until the waitress/waiter would come to take it away again. Once, my mom basially force fed me the salad, and after two bites and most of it trying to come back up, she gave in. I don't know why it was so difficult for me, but I did grow out of that to some respect. I still can't take most lettuces. I prefer spinach. I also like dressings like balsamic vinagrette because they have a powerful flavor that can help me. Lots of other veggies I do like also make a salad a lot easier for me to eat.

Try other types of salads. Cucumber salad, carrot-raisin salad, potato salad, fruit salad etc. if you don't feel like you can stomach the traditional bowl of lettuce and dressing.
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I don't care for salads either, especially as a meal. Mainly because I don't lite or vingerette type salad dressings. And I absolutely hate fast food salads! Taste too much like perservatives. So I eat my veggies steamed, roasted or grilled. Yummy, green beans, brocolli, califlower, zuchinni, squash, carrots, red peppers,etc...
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    People typically think if you are on some sort of diet you need to eat salads. FALSE!

I am so glad you posted this. I get so tired of my family and friends saying "we can go to such and such restaurant cause they have salads". Some salads at these restaurants have 800 calories!!!!! Just because it is a salad or has salad in the name, doesn't mean it's healthy.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am only a fan of salads with fatty dressings. Thus, I don't eat salads often.
  • twinsmommy7
    twinsmommy7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do like salads most of the time because I enjoy fresh vegetables. I try to change things up by using different kinds of lettuce, adding a variety of veggies, beans, nuts, etc. One of my and hubby's favorites is a salad made with field greens, toasted pecans, pears and gorgonzola cheese chunks. For the dressing, I like Ken's light raspberry or balsamic vinagarette. It's a great complement to grilled fish.

As an alternative to salad, have you tried having raw veggies with a dip like hummus?
  • toberlili
    Options
    i have to get my veggies other ways, i cant do the salad, chicken ceaser with alot of chicken i can get down, but thats about it
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    People typically think if you are on some sort of diet you need to eat salads. FALSE!

I am so glad you posted this. I get so tired of my family and friends saying "we can go to such and such restaurant cause they have salads". Some salads at these restaurants have 800 calories!!!!! Just because it is a salad or has salad in the name, doesn't mean it's healthy.

Not only are a lot of the salads high in calories, they are even more loaded with sodium than french fries (Applebee's, I'm talking to YOU!).