Hot Protein Chocolate - Finally Got It!

duckiec
duckiec Posts: 241 Member
After a lot of experimentation, and choking down clumps, I finally got an almost tasty (cuz really, it's still not real cocoa) basic hot chocolate protein shake, figured I'd share.

I use unsweetened chocolate almond milk - the shelf stable kind, 45/cal/cup. I mix 1/2 cup of that in a Magic Bullet with the protein powder- Optimum Nutrition Gold. I've used the Toffee, Milk Chocolate, Extreme Chocolate and Rocky Road flavors, and they're all pretty decent. Mix well, so you have a thick syrup.

Heat up some water in a kettle/stove/separately to just under boiling, and add 1/2-3/4 cup to the Magic Bullet mixer, mix it up again for about 20sec until it starts getting a bit frothy. Don't mix too long, and be careful when you go to open it. The pressure starts to build... release slowly. Also great with a little sugar free syrup-hazelnut, vanilla, or peppermint all work well. Even if the almond milk is refrigerated, the water warms it nicely. Much better than an icy cold shake now that its getting colder- enjoy.

Replies

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    That sounds pretty darn good. Can't wait to check it out. Thanks for sharing.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    I am going to give that a try. Thanks for sharing.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Bump
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    If you've ever seen 'soy slender', you can also try those with unsweetened protein. Soy slender is presweetened with splenda (so you have to be ok with that as well.)

The cappuccino flavor is VERY good warm (especially with a shot of espresso) - I put it in my little frother and get it all foamy. Steamed is good too, though.

That and the chocolate have been my 'go-to' cocoa's this winter. Low carb, low calorie, and it hits the sweet spot nicely. I'm not as fond of the vanilla flavor, but it's not bad. My co-worker loved it when I used it to make her a vanilla latte.

The unsweetened chocolate almond milk is REALLY good though... it's a great base and I buy that as well. It's easier to find (and least around here) than the soy slender (and a bit more flexible since it's not pre-sweetened.)