Help!... I can't seem to lose that elusive first pound!

Options
I should start by saying this is my first week on myfitnesspal.com. I've set a goal of losing 1lb a week for a total of 50lbs. I've exercised consistently (lap swim or walk) the past week and have faithfully entered my food consumption into myfitnesspal.com and have been under my goals for calories, fat, sugar, sodium, etc. every day. Unfortunately instead of losing that first 1lb I've actually gained 2.2lbs! Although I'm new to the mind set of all things diet/healthy, I'm already discouraged with not having lost even a single pound! Please help me to stay motivated! :frown:

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary people will be able to give you answers better. A week is early. I'd keep it up and see if next week doesn't yield results.
  • 1sttime4everything
    Options
    I'll have to figure out how to do just that. Thanks for the advice. :smile:
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If your body isn't used to regular exercise it could just be water weight that you've retained? As above I would need to see you diary to give a better insight.
  • donnihatcher
    Options
    Please remember that muscle weighs more than fat! It also burns more calories. Measure yourself and see the inches you have lost!
    If your clothes fit looser you are loosing fat! If you are bloated feeling, it could just be the change in diet, eat more fiber or do a cleanse tea. Make sure your lean protein intake is high also, I try and get in close to 100 g a day. Good luck and don't give up!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Open your diary here. (Scroll all the way down.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit. You're probably underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burn. Weigh your food. Find accurate database entries. (There's a lot of faulty data in there.) Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Everybody's different. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.
  • skippy440
    Options
    It really is too early to worry in your first week. I started a week ago, I've done body pump classes three times this week and interval training in the gym three times and I've lost 3lbs this week. I have also been doing aloe Vera colon cleanse with fibre supplements and I've noticed a massive reduction in bloating so I would definitely recommend it! I hope this helps. The important thing is to not get disheartened as sometimes it takes a few weeks for your body to adapt then you'll see the results x
  • 1sttime4everything
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice all. I know it's early in the game and I have a lot of effort/hard work to go. The sexypants link was very insightful. The food scale is a great idea and one I definitely plan on using! Thanks again. :happy:
  • Skylark74
    Skylark74 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a similar thing and my scales told me I'd actually put on weight in my first week - but then on the advice of many others here I went and checked my measurements and lo and behold I'd lost 1/2 an inch from my neck and an inch from my waist.

Always worth looking at these other things as they can give you a bigger boost than the scales.

Feel free to add me if you need a friend on here.

Caz
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    In the first week or so of a new workout regimen your muscles will retain water and as a result the scale will increase. Keep up your hard work and stay off the scale for a week or two and I promise you'll be pleasantly surprised!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Please remember that muscle weighs more than fat! It also burns more calories. Measure yourself and see the inches you have lost!
    If your clothes fit looser you are loosing fat! If you are bloated feeling, it could just be the change in diet, eat more fiber or do a cleanse tea. Make sure your lean protein intake is high also, I try and get in close to 100 g a day. Good luck and don't give up!
    i don't think OP has added any muscle in just a week while eating in a calorie deficit..
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    In the first week or so of a new workout regimen your muscles will retain water and as a result the scale will increase. Keep up your hard work and stay off the scale for a week or two and I promise you'll be pleasantly surprised!

This. When you go from inactive to active, your body stores extra water and glycogen in the skeletal muscle to fuel your workouts. This can lead to a gain of roughly 1-5lbs. So just keep tracking and give it another week or two before adjusting.
  • chickidee87
    chickidee87 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Keep going, you'll lose it, I promise :)
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    be carefull with the calories you gain back thru sport! MyFitnessPal often gives you waaaaay too much calories back!
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're measuring your intake correctly. Check how many servings are in a package/can. Weigh your food on a food scale if possible.

Otherwise just keep at it. You'll lose but it may take time to show on the scale.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It's the first week.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I don't know if all this happens the first week.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I see an awful lot of generic entries. You can reduce the margin of error by scanning barcodes or searching for the exact brand you're using (and double-checking all entries against the label), using USDA data whenever possible, and using the recipe builder (in the app under settings > my foods). Weigh everything.

Your sodium intake's high, too. So you may be retaining water. But it will really pay off in the long run to learn how to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Edited to reiterate my previous advice:
    If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit. You're probably underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burn. Weigh your food. Find accurate database entries. (There's a lot of faulty data in there.) Eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Everybody's different. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Too early to start fixating on weight. Concentrate on changing your habits first and the weight will start coming off. You have a lot of "generic" items in your diary. Calories can be vastly different from brand to brand, so try and be as specific as possible.