When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• AvaWawa2008
    AvaWawa2008 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My last straw was realizing I couldn't just get up and run a half marathon like I used to and I'm tried of having to buy new clothes. Not to mention, I just got in the routine of eating pretty unhealthy and realized I needed to get back to the old "me". The healthy and fit me.
  • Sumakio
    Options
    What finally did it for me is that I reached 200 pounds for the 3rd time. I'm sick of losing and the gaining it all back.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I tried to apply for health insurance at the beginning of the year and was declined because, even though I have a clean medical record, my current height/weight ratio makes me an underwriting risk. That hurt my feelings lol.
  • MainahGirl
    MainahGirl Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had a Gastric Bypass in 1997 at 393 lbs. I lost about 150 lbs that first year and then immediatly started to gain weight back. Fast forward to 2011 at a Drs. appointment. The scale said 317 and I had simply had enough. In the past I never once exercised, never ate healthy foods and never care enough to try. This time I did and it paid off. The rest is history.
  • flippista
    Options
    I decided to lose the weight after my last miscarriage due to uncontrolled diabetes. 2014 is the year for us!!! Good luck to us all!!!
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    lol no one reads anyone else's in these threads

I read all of them :embarassed:

I have too!

I read them all also, it's somehow encouraging...
  • b2kelly
    b2kelly Posts: 62
    Options
    I had to buy a pair of pants with a 35" waist super upsetting.. back to 34s now thank god..
  • misab
    misab Posts: 3
    Options
    I was going to be in my friend's wedding. I was never happy with my weight and hated how I looked in pictures- I knew I needed to do something since I didn't want to hate how I looked in all her wedding photos. It worked and I am in another friend's wedding this summer which is my motivation for my next mini-goal!
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When the doctor told me I needed to try the South Beach Diet and what I could look forward to in the future if I didn't get up and start moving exercising
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My pants are too tight (I refuse to go to the next size up!), my bras are too tight, I am getting out of breath at the slightest activities, I don't feel well. I'm starting to go through menopause (I'm sure extra weight makes it worse!) I just don't like myself anymore.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Back fat.
  • happydreamy
    happydreamy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I reached 140 lbs.. Top of the 'Healthy Weight Scale' for 5'1'' women!

Add me! :)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    my waist being larger than what is recommended by doctors. I noticed by measuring.
  • mepa0701
    mepa0701 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My last straw was when I started crying every day because I had to put on clothes that didn't fit right and were uncomfortable. It also was when I was close to 200 pounds and being that I am very short this was a big let down. I also have gained a great deal of weight in my chest area and it's causing alot of back pain.
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I saw 180 on the scale today I am only 5'4". I WILL start changing my life tomorrow!
  • bubblyjoolz
    bubblyjoolz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Mine was my before photo in my profile pic. I was 102kgs there and now I'm 81kgs. It was a big wake up call. :blushing:
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well, there are several. I wasn't worrying about my blood pressure and diabetes enough. I thought I could easily change those numbers with changes in diet. So I was making changes yet somehow gained more weight and the numbers went up. The cholestoral numbers dropped and that was good. But everything else got worse and they upped my meds. My hobbies involve my eyes. Needle crafts, reading, and other things. Now when my blood sugar spikes up or drops low, my vision gets blurry. So I really have to watch and maintain that. So I really need to focus on weight loss and eating right.

I also love clothes but I never buy any. I hate the close for my body now. I can't wear anything I really like. So I want to get down to a size that I can look good in the styles I like.

But now I have a new and unusual reason to lose weight.

Normally, I do not have to sit all the way forward in a car. Even with my short legs, I can reach the pedals if I'm back a notch or two. But that being said, I'm fat so my stomach is still touching the steering wheel.

But my new used car is a stick. That makes me happen even though I have to relearn to drive one. I'm fine except for first gear. I am still trying to figure out the clutch to gas ratio in that one gear. The brakes are super touchy as well.

But the clutch needs to go all the way to the floor to start. This means I have to move the seat all the way up. Now I am totally squished between the seat back and steering wheel. Right now it is against my bruise from my accident making it hurt worse after driving.

So now I have a NEW reason to lose weight to add to my other reasons. And I'm reminded with discomfort every time I get into my car. I need to loose weight in order to drive comfortably.

I lost 8.4 or 8.6 lbs in about a month. I'm now going to focus on maintaining that rate. So each month should get more comfortable until one day I can sit in my car and my stomach doesn't touch the steering wheel at all.

I do wonder if there are attachments to add to pedals for short people to drive more easily. That would be nice.

It is an unusual reason as you said. Never heard it before, but sounds like added motivation. Doing great, keep it up. Wish you success on your journey!
  • davadoto
    davadoto Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I got engaged in December and I had only lost about eight pounds because I was being lazy about it. I gave up on myself. I got terrified of being uncomfortable in my wedding dress, as clothes have always made me emotional. Shopping is always a rollercoaster of emotions for me. I hate it. I didn't want to feel the same about my wedding dress. The whole process of finding the dress is supposed to be so wonderful, with my friends and mom, and I don't want my weight to be in my way. Who wants to think about their weight on their big day? Not me! I've been thinking about my weight since 5th grade. 2014 is my year.

You will look great (the person marrying you already thinks so). That doesn't mean you shouldn't t do your best diet wise, but on that day, forget about it enjoy it to the fullest. I had lost 20 pounds, 2 dress sizes before my wedding, everyone was complementing me on how great I looked (the smallest size I'd ever been since I was 8), but every time they were taking a picture of me, I could only think about my arm fat and how it would look in the pics :embarassed: Today, the size I was on my wedding day is my goal size :ohwell:
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It was a few things really first one was that my fave pair of jeans that i used to look good in don't fit any more and i refuse to get some a size bigger pride i guess then there was that picture im sure we all have one out on a night out an my friend wanted pictures when i saw them the next day i hated what i saw so i decided that's it no more!
  • michaelablueeyes
    michaelablueeyes Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I realised I spent most of my 20s as a size 16 (uk) and crept upto a 18.

Keep spotting clothes I want to wear so much but never got the opertunity as I am too fat for them.

I may be a little to old for the short shorts by the time id probably loose the weight I need but there will be alot more outfit opertunitys for me.

And I shaved my hair off December 2012 out of depression so I thought while im waiting for my hair to grow back how I want it may as well sort my body out too.