Lack of Vitamin D making me weak?

Options
Almost 2 years ago I decided to lose ten pounds ahead of my sisters wedding (which I did, yay). However, while yes, I was working out almost everyday and eating right, I was also aching all over, my muscles felt heavy and tired quicker than they used to and I began to feel no interest in anything.

My arms ached when I washed my hair, my hamstrings and glutes felt week when I bent over the sink to brush my teeth. I didn't like to stand for long.

It was coming out of a bad winter where I had not really been out in the fresh air much at all, owing to work and the weather and I was pretty miserable.

I went to the doctor who told me it was stress and the exercise causing me to ache.

I tried eating right, but not working out, but I didn't feel any better. I went back to the docs worried it was something serious but she referred me for counselling!

I got used to how I was feeling but over the summer I noticed I felt much better. I went on holiday to the sun and was nervous about doing long hikes etc but I felt almost fine.

Come winter again and i felt weak, my muscles ached, I was tired..... I went back to the doctor who referred me to a neurologist which terified me. However everything was declared fine and he told me to basically go away!

We had a really good summer, I spent a lot of time outside, and while my muscles got tired with prolonged use - pruning a hedge made my arms ache for 2 days! - I felt better in myself again.

Now, it's winter again and it's all back. I go to the gym and it's so much more effort. I'm afraid of not keeping up in excerise classes sometimes my muscles just ache so much. I don't feel strong. I avoid doing stuff and have put on weight again.

I went to another doctor who tested my Vitamin D. She said I had some proximal muscle weakness which can be caused by thyroid or vit D deficiency. My thyroid and everything else came back fine but vit D was 'a bit low'. She said it classed as an 'insufficiency' rather than a serious deficiency and has put me on 800iu of Vitamin D twice a day for 3 months. I've been on them for one month and don't feel any difference what so ever.

I recently found some over the counter Vit D that's 4000iu daily. I think I might try that.

Has anyone else had this?

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I take 50k units prescribed by a dr. Can't say that the deficiency makes me weak or I am achy longer than usual at all.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Are you taking the D3 supplement with fats? My understanding is that it needs fat as a carrier to get absorbed by your body.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    What's your number? I'm deficient with a number of 21. I'm also taking an over the counter 4,000 dose D3, after a prescription of D2 didn't improve my number. I've been deficient for at least three years that I'm aware of, and I've never had bouts of weakness/achy.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for anemia?
  • McCall89
    McCall89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was tested for Underactive Thyroid and Vitamin D last year as my sister was diagnosed with both and I was suffering with chronic fatigue/fibromyalgia. My Vitamin D came back low so the doctor recommended taking a supplement. It has definitely helped with the fatigue and I don't tend to get quite as much muscular pain (though I do notice more flare ups during the winter).
  • charlieibeling
    charlieibeling Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    add in grass fed beef and organic cage free eggs to your diet and I would most certainly expect your problems to be reduced. Great sources of vitamin D in a perfect delivery mechanism
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My vitamin D was at 6.8 or something and the lower normal limit is supposed to be 30. I never felt unexpectedly achy, weak or tired. I don't feel any different in the months that I've been taking supplements, but everybody's different I guess.
  • linda231
    linda231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had similar symptoms in the last month or two, it's like my muscle hurt all the way to the bone. I ran upon this article that I thought might be of interest to you. I would like to know the answer to why this is happening also.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/16/vitamin-k2.aspx
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible- for me I would describe the feeling as lethargy rather than actual weakness, but I can see it being possible. I would try the higher dose of D and see how it makes you feel- just make sure you take it with some fat.